Vicks vaporub

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Any of you who have contact with Dominicans know that they [particularly the old-timers] believe that Vicks VapoRub cures everything. We used to think that they were exaggerating, and it was almost a joke. Over the years I've seen a few articles that actually support some of their claims, and today we saw this article in our local paper saying that it can cure toenail fungus. I guess abuela knows more than we gave her credit for!:)

Ask Dr. H: Vicks VapoRub is effective treatment for toenail fungus - pressofAtlanticCity.com: Arts & Entertainment

AE

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Don't forget broccoli, as per yanandu.. :)

Btw, I still don't understand if vaporub cures everything, why are a lot of dominicans always with dolor de cabeza or needing to go the clinica/hospital all the time ?? :D

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
its also good for smelly feet.....put it on at night and put on a pair of socks and in the morning your foot odor problem is gone

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
Mosquito bites - that was what they told me in Sabana Perdida, but it seems that the 'menthol' in the rub is a cure for everything in the barrios.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
bri777......LOL.....
I usually wear sandals but I tried this when I was younger and still in school.....

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Suuuure !!
how about u know a friend of a friend with smelly feet

glad u have a sense of humor
Manu

Jul 4, 2010
UBRENAL as a cheap substitute for VicsVaporub

UBRENAL, a veterinary medicine, is used here in Las Lomas. According to the locals, it's a cure-all, and does the trick and a 'chin' more than VicsVaporub for most every ailment.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I grew up in New England,Mass.,in the early 1940s,and my mother always had vicks around for everything.Up your nose,on your neck,on a scrape,..etc.etc.So it is not a Dominican thing....been around a long long time.
By the way,I still use it a lot.
bob

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
I grew up in New England,Mass.,in the early 1940s,and my mother always had vicks around for everything.Up your nose,on your neck,on a scrape,..etc.etc.So it is not a Dominican thing....been around a long long time.
bob

Same thing in New Jersey in the 50's.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
bob

Bob, the world uses Vicks - but not the way Dominicans do. Did you see "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? How the father used windex for everything for arthritis to pimples? That's how Dominicans are with Vicks. I used to think it was funny and a bit backwards, but I'm finding out the stuff is really pretty remarkable.

AE

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I have always known Vick's is good stuff but I have see the locals here eat it on bread or straight from a teaspoon. Not sure I would recommend that!

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
I have always known Vick's is good stuff but I have see the locals here eat it on bread or straight from a teaspoon. Not sure I would recommend that!

Actually, I have tasted it. YUK! It ranks up there with the "old fashioned" remedies (from a few generations ago) along with Castor Oil, Cod Liver Oil and Turpentine. You haven't lived (or almost died) until you have had someone give you a dose of stuff like that. When you stop and think about it, the DR is really not that far behind the US when it comes to such matters.

I will say this about Vicks, though ... never, ever ever mistake it for Vaseline!! :cool:

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010

why would some one eat that, whats the reason?
bad breath or hemorroids?
Manu

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Just for the record it was the same in old England, my Mother used it on me and from those days to this my houses have never been without a pot or two.