Orange Net Hogar 3g+

Mark Lloyd

Sep 3, 2010
As mentioned in another post my family and i are coming to Costambar in May, I came across an interesting post from someone with regard to Orange 3g+ can anyone comment as to wether this will work in costambar, if so it would seem this the best option for speed and price - Any Comments?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Go to the Orange store, leave a deposit and test it. That is the best way to know if it will work or not.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I have NetHogar since December... As my only internet.

Mostly works great... Less problems than Codetel Flash...

It gives you "up to 7.2 megs" of download speed... That usually translate into 2 or 3 megs, which is still quite fast here in the DR...

But I am limited to 10GB/month, I might upgrade to 25GB/month... However, low-speed downgrade you to 384kb/s, which is still enough for regular internet...

I would recommend it... Specially for folks who are renting a place and might move, or live far away from regular phone-lines...

I still believe however that anyone living in the city (not my case) will be better served by ADSL, that is Codetel Flash here...

Mark Lloyd

Sep 3, 2010
Hi Squat, thank you for that info, i will be in a small condo initially in Costambar and want a way of getting on line without having to install a line as i do not know wether we will stay there or move to another apartment or area. If you do not mind me asking how do you pay for the access, is it done online via credit card, on contract or paid in shop? thanks for your assitance
Mark

Feb 7, 2007
Orange net is postpaid, I don;t think they have Flybox (mobile wifi) on postpaid basis. They have a prepaid pay-by-day plan @ RD$128 with Orange Net 3G USB stick. But if you have a 3G phone with Orange 3G frequency (900 MHz UMTS --- not same as 900 MHz GSM) then you can use your 3G phone and tether it with your computer. Prepaid monthly plan such as BIS 3G and OrangeNet Movil G start at RD$850 + taxes and RD$950 + taxes respectively, per month.

If you are not lucky with Orange 3G coverage in your place, you can try Claro 3G or Viva 3G. Both offer mobile wifi service and Claro also offers 3G BIS and 3G Internet Movil, tetherable with your phone and laptop.

Interjet | Viva Dominican Republic
Rep?blica Dominicana - Internet M?vil

Both offer prepaid (you have to purchase equipment) and postpaid plans (postpain usually on 18 months contract).
Don'T DO PLEASE Claro Postpaid 3G Internet ... do PREPAID. Prepaid 3G BIS actually has unlimited data @ unlimited speed, while postpaid has 500 MB data then limited speed.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Since a month we use the Flybox of Orange (Sosua/Cabarete area) and we are very satisfied with it. Its based on a contract of 12 months and you just go to the Orange store, pay one month deposit and one month in advance.
Whether its available in Costambar, you can check on orange.com.do
Prices go from RD$1300 something for 5GB/month to RD$1900 for 10GB and RD$2700 for 25GB.
One you have used up your limit of 10 or 25GB, you drop back to 384kb/sec.
Orange sends you an email once you have used up 50%, 90% and 100% of your allowance.
Your suppose to go to any office of Orange in your neighborhood one you have received your bill by email for the upcoming month.
I believe there is a possibility to pay by cc as well but I do not recommend it.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I noticed that after a while, the sim-card slot in the Flybox gets a bit humid and so internet drops often... One needs to disconnect the Flybox, take the sim-card out, wait about 10 minutes and put it back in... It usually helps a lot...