'Living in the DR - ways to save money and world's resources'

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I have started this thread on the suggestion of Major to share tips on saving money and the world's resources.

Still buying bottles of coke? Wasting plastic bottles and incurring cost of shipping from factory.

Try making some ginger / lime cordial or beer.

5 gallons water
1 ginger root, chopped
5lbs sugar
juice of 8 limes
3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 packet champagne yeast

Boil about 1 gallon of the water

Squeeze in lemons and add squeezed bits.

Add ginger root and cream of tartar.

Add 1 lb of sugar .

Simmer gently for 20-30 minutes.

Put remaining sugar, if any, in 5 gallon plastic pail or similar.

Pour water mixture over.

Add remaining water to 5 gallons and cool to lukewarm.

Taste - if not strong enough add more ginger in the form of powder.

Dissolve yeast in a cup of the mixture, then stir it back in.
Cover and ferment for 5 days at 70 - 80degF.

If fermentation stopped add 1/2 pound more sugar and yeast.

Siphon into sterilised bottles - e.g. 2 litre coca cola bottles Cap. Age upright for one week at 70-80 degF then store in cool place at degF or less - e.g. in fridge.

If necessary release pressure in bottles occasionally to prevent explosions!

Drink as is will be 3-5 % alcohol - or add fresh pineapple or orange juice.

Cost per gallon about 50 pesos.

Yanandu

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Drinking water definitely cheaper...........
Don't entertain any friends either.
Yanandu

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Avoid sugar. A waste of money and bad for health.
PLUS a lot of energy and pollution goes into sugar production, not to mention how the eeeeevil capitalists exploit the innocent illegal immigrant workers creating entire slave ghettos just so spoiled westerners can make their bourgoise ginger beer for decadent self-indulgent pleasure.:cheeky:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would never serve "refrescos" to my friends, only to my enemies. :D
We drink wine, beer or natural fruit juice. And water too.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Avoid sugar. A waste of money and bad for health.
Yeast 'eats' the sugar.
Real economical people use batata ( sweet potato ) peelings and ferment this.
Ginger is good ......... limes also.
Yanandu

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
A while back, on another thread someone asked about the best way to get a "HOT" shower. Now, this is generally not an issue in tourist/expat areas. But one of the concerns seemed to be over using electricity to heat water for the shower. (An electric heater attached to a shower head ... YIKES!!)

One of the items suggested, which seems to work really well -- and is inexpensive -- is something called a "portable shower". It was designed for camping, but can be used anywhere. Basically it is a 2-5 gallon black plastic water can, with a shower nozzle attached. Fill it with water, set it in the sun for a few hours, and you will have plenty of cheap hot water, to use as you wish.

:cool:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
A while back, on another thread someone asked about the best way to get a "HOT" shower. Now, this is generally not an issue in tourist/expat areas. But one of the concerns seemed to be over using electricity to heat water for the shower. (An electric heater attached to a shower head ... YIKES!!)

One of the items suggested, which seems to work really well -- and is inexpensive -- is something called a "portable shower". It was designed for camping, but can be used anywhere. Basically it is a 2-5 gallon black plastic water can, with a shower nozzle attached. Fill it with water, set it in the sun for a few hours, and you will have plenty of cheap hot water, to use as you wish.

:cool:
It's cheaper not to shower. Just scrape the skin grunge off with a used coconut shell.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Anyone here have a garden?

Just curious ... what do you grow, how long does it take, and how much does it yield?? (Any pics??)

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
There is a lot of talk about eating well, but very inexpensively. So, I am curious..... what would a "typical" weekly menu be to accomplish this? Anyone have suggestions??

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
How bout just drink a little coke instead of none at all? Just like a little beer and a little meat are better for you. However, we humans being the exaggerated beings that we are it's always seems to be an all or nothing proposition.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
I don't know that I need to see an exact recipe here (unless it's not available anywhere else) ... but where is the best place (or places) to find some good, authentic Dominican recipes?

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Where are the best markets (outside of the tourist areas) to buy fresh produce, fish, meat ..... and what are the best days to go? Any tips on getting the best deals???

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Besides sightseeing/tourism things ... what are some things that one "must" see or do in while in the DR (especial low cost or free)??

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't know that I need to see an exact recipe here (unless it's not available anywhere else) ... but where is the best place (or places) to find some good, authentic Dominican recipes?

Aunt Clara?s Kitchen: Dominican cooking, recipes, dishes, food and culinary culture

I recommend going to any Dominican or Cuban restaurants where you live and trying out the food. If you in the middle of Arkansas than might be difficult though. Food here in the DR is cheap, especially the vegetables. If you live here and have an open mind it is inevitable that plantain and yucca will grow on you.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
It's cheaper not to shower. Just scrape the skin grunge off with a used coconut shell.

Each to his own.

One in three Barbados households has chosen to have a solar water heater. Must be something in human nature that likes hot water.
Barbados Solar
Cobraboy is different.......

Yanandu.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
My husband and I were also wondering about gardening here (on the North Coast). Does anyone garden here? We wondered why the people in the villages don't have gardens?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
My husband and I were also wondering about gardening here (on the North Coast). Does anyone garden here? We wondered why the people in the villages don't have gardens?
There are gardens EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

Folks here raise a LOT of their own food!