Vaccinations - Moving Back with a 5 year old...

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
I think I tried to post this earlier but my connection timed out...:( Sorry!

Just a quick question to my favourite DR Experts:

I'm moving back, this time to Cabrera, and this time with my little 5 year old daughter. I'll be taking her to the Pediatrician in a few weeks to figure out what vaccinations she needs to be up-to-date and which specifically for the DR. So here are my questions:

- I know there was some Dengue outbreak and that there's no preventative medicine (other than nets and spray)...anybody know if this is any concern in the North Coast?? Of course I'll be living with screens, fans, and bug spray...but just to know

- Has anybody had any issues with their young child contracting any serious illness down there, and if so was there good care for the children? I'd like to look into a really, really good Pediatrician in Cabrera or close by...maybe that's a whole other thread, though ;)

- Lastly, I'm scared to give Lola medicine and treatment that's geared to adults or that may have really serious side effects. Has anyone had a child that's suffered really nasty effects from any of the vaccinations their kids have received?

PS I've checked out the WHO sites, etc...and also visiting the Pediatrician soon. This is just first-hand-experience that I'm looking for now. Thanks guys!!!!

Anna

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just keep her vaccinations up to date. The normal route: mumps, chicken pox, measels, whooping cough and polio. At least. The pediatricians know what the kids need. The consequences are much worse than the vaccinations. I won't have any more grandchildren from my daughter because her husband had mumps...or so I am told...

There is good health care available and common sense (which have passed on but which we think about occasionally) should guide you. Get the book that is called "Where there are no doctors" ...great handbook for first aid. Keep a First Aid Kit handy. Kids get cuts, scrapes and such and good first-aid can save lots of anguish.

Take a course, the Red Cross has them

HB

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
If you are uncertain one idea is to prepare an emergency medicine kit containing drugs for common childhood ailments.
Also syringe, blood giving set etc, Parasites can be a problem with children in the DR.
Get the best recommendation for each condition and buy appropriate medicine.
Try and get phone number of pediatrician you trust and if time allows phone to discuss any treatment.
Most drugs will keep well for a number of years in the fridge. Use a small plastic lockable box.
Have phone numbers for air taxi and ambulance services and some means to pay e.g. a credit card with good limit.
Yes nets are important as are clothes for evenings e.g. trousers,socks etc. A blue light mosquito zapper is not expensive and a
good idea - an outdoor one is ok for a large area. It's surprising the number of creatures they kill.
Cook all food( meats etc ) fairly finely chopped for 20 minutes or so.
Yanandu

I'm moving back, this time to Cabrera, and this time with my little 5 year old daughter. I'll be taking her to the Pediatrician in a few weeks to figure out what vaccinations she needs to be up-to-date and which specifically for the DR. So here are my questions:

- I know there was some Dengue outbreak and that there's no preventative medicine (other than nets and spray)...anybody know if this is any concern in the North Coast?? Of course I'll be living with screens, fans, and bug spray...but just to know

- Has anybody had any issues with their young child contracting any serious illness down there, and if so was there good care for the children? I'd like to look into a really, really good Pediatrician in Cabrera or close by...maybe that's a whole other thread, though ;)

- Lastly, I'm scared to give Lola medicine and treatment that's geared to adults or that may have really serious side effects. Has anyone had a child that's suffered really nasty effects from any of the vaccinations their kids have received?

PS I've checked out the WHO sites, etc...and also visiting the Pediatrician soon. This is just first-hand-experience that I'm looking for now. Thanks guys!!!!

Anna

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

Anna

Go with Hillbilly's advice and you and Lola will be just fine.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Thanks guys! We're definitely keeping her regular vaccines up-to-date and I'll always keep the First Aid Kit in the house...also, I have this great mosquito repellant that's a nice lotion for little ones so it doesn't affect their delicate skin (am I in denial that she's growing...still call her my baby ;)

I just can't wait to get there and get started on our new life. I owe all you guys a drink...eventually :p

Thanks so much!!!
Anna

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Take care; mortality among children is high in DR. Approx one in 25 don't see their 5th. birthday.

Yanandu

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Knock on wood my kids did fine in DR with just their regular shots. Although being a nurse, I had a kick a$$ First Aid kit. My son did get a stomach virus just before we returned but he just stayed 2 days in HOMS and was fine.

SHALENA

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I think the main issues might be stomach bugs and parasites. Make sure she doesn't eat street food and try and ensure she keeps shoes or flip flops on when outside. Also ensure she stays well hydrated - and not with fizzy drinks.

Matilda

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Thanks again, guys. I had amoebas during my 6th month of pregnancy and it was a horrrriiiiible experience, but I learned through that to stay away from the water (of course), stay away from street food, and actually after that stuck to a vegetarian-heavy diet.
@Matilda, you're probably very right re the main thing being the tummy bugs. I will keep some Pedialyte and (bottled) water handy...I never even give her juice, anyway (she doesn't like sweets...! I'm a lucky mum :)

What is HOMS? (sorry if that's a silly question...) and your son was ok after?

And wow, re the 5th bday and mortality. Lola's father is Dominican and they're all thriving (even the little ones)...I'm shocked to hear something like that. Where did you learn that from?

Thanks again guys!