Recieving a package using Mailboxes Etc.

dreamflower

Mar 10, 2011
Hi! So I have an account at a Mailboxes Etc. in Santiago in order to get mail. I really want a Barnes and Noble Nook (similar to the Kindle) but I don't know of anyone coming to the DR in the next few months to bring it to me. The Nook I want is $150, plus a $30 case. Would I have a problem getting this with my Mailboxes Etc. account? My understanding was that if it is valued at under $200 USD, then there are no taxes.

Does anyone have any insight? I am going to the USA at the end of June for a visit, so would you recommend I just wait and get it there, or would it be safe traveling here using my Miami address and Mailboxes Etc?

Thanks so much!!

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Hi! So I have an account at a Mailboxes Etc. in Santiago in order to get mail. I really want a Barnes and Noble Nook (similar to the Kindle) but I don't know of anyone coming to the DR in the next few months to bring it to me. The Nook I want is $150, plus a $30 case. Would I have a problem getting this with my Mailboxes Etc. account? My understanding was that if it is valued at under $200 USD, then there are no taxes.

Does anyone have any insight? I am going to the USA at the end of June for a visit, so would you recommend I just wait and get it there, or would it be safe traveling here using my Miami address and Mailboxes Etc?

Thanks so much!!
I have had no problems with CPS getting small items price under 200 dollars and I expect mailboxes is similar.
Expect to pay 4.5 -6 dollars a pound.
Yanandu.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I spent about that much on my Kindle + cover and received it through Mail Boxes Etc in Punta Cana - I was not charged taxes, just the usual fee based on weight.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As long as there is a commercial invoice in the package showing that the price is under the $200 limit you should not have a problem having it sent here.

When I order such an item using TransExpress, I email them a copy of the invoice and tracking information just in case the vendor does not include the invoice.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Another suggestion ... you can get the software version of the Nook (and run it on your computer) which is free. That way you can start downloading/buying/reading books until your trip to the states. Then just buy it in the states and bring it back with you. You will still be able to re-download any books that you already bought to your new Nook.

Feb 7, 2007
@ windeguy: You can now upload your PDF/image invoice fom the merchant to Transexpress/Vimenpaq
http://secure2.transexpress.com/usa/prealertas
This is especially great tool for ebay purchases where the invoice may or may not accompany the package. They match the invoice with the package and ship it to the DR along with that invoice, so it has easier time clearing the aduana.