General question: How to figure out where a publico goes?

worldbalance

Mar 16, 2011
I will be traveling to DR for the first time (excited!) and I want to learn how to take public transportation. I looked at the other threads and they are very specific in directions on getting from point A to B. But can anyone give me tips on how to take public transportation in DR? Or even figuring out where a certain publico goes before it drives by me? If it helps, I'll be in the North Coast/Puerto Plata.

Oh and of course, the number one rule I've picked up: avoid the motoconchos. :)

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good first rule.
Now, on the North Coast you only have to know one of two things: Which way is East or which way is West?
There is only one road, so that makes things easier.
You always ask "How much" (KWANTO?), or even better ask a local how much before getting ready to go some place.
There are guaguas, usually 30 passenger Toyotas, and guag?itas--Minivans...and taxis.

And there are really nice buses to Santiago and Santo Domingo.

Getting around is really easy.

HB

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
If you tell us where you are staying and where you are headed, we can tell you which routes to take. Some routes go downtown to Central Park area, while others bypass downtown and go to Costambar.

worldbalance

Mar 16, 2011
If you tell us where you are staying and where you are headed, we can tell you which routes to take. Some routes go downtown to Central Park area, while others bypass downtown and go to Costambar.

I will be going to Sosua and definitely central park in puerto plata. I will be leaving from the Tubagua Plantation: 18 Luperon Highway, Tubagua, Puerto Plata.

I guess my main concern is to safely find a way out to the main road. From there east/west travel should be fairly easy as I flagt down public transportation. Thanks!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
You're staying way off the beaten path. You are at least 4-5 miles from the main East-West Highway. You'll need to find out if there is a local public car or guagua route out there.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Ignore the post about renting a car - BAD idea if you do not know this country. I do not think there are any carros publico or gua guas near Tubagua. Get on a motoconcho - pretty safe up there. Get to the main road and then flag down the transport you want.

From there to Puerto Plata by carro publico is about 30RD and not much more unless you want 2 seats. Going the other way to Sosua should be about 30 or 35 RD by carro publico. In Sosua you would change to a second publico to get to Cabarete and it is another 40 or 45 RD and not more.

Gua gua is the van looking things. I don't like then because of how most of the drivers race for the next passenger. They are less expensive but far less safe in my opinion.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
for goodness sakes!! Of course there are publicos and guaguas going by Tubagua!! If you want to go to Puerto Plata or Sos?a, you go downhill. If you want to go to Santiago, you go uphill...not really nuclear science.

I repeat: "Kwanto?" Butyou have already asked Tim or some other person at Tubagua "How much" ...so if the guy gives you twoce the price you just say no, and quote the price!!....it is not going to be a comfortable ride!. That road is almost destroyed, totally, a most unfortunate circumstance.

Once off the mountains the roads a much improved.

You will have fun.

HB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
they do exist but not very frequent I think....I know they exist because ive driven behind a slow moving one lol

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
That could very well be OR I thought they were a taxi as they were so infrequent.