Electricity theft from my connection

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I just found that my neighbour is stealing electricity from my meter. I got the connection just a month ago and i have very little consumption - just a laptop and 2 bulbs. Nothing apart. Today i went to check casually and to my astonishment I found that the meter reading showing almost 300 Kva usage. Later i looked closely at the line and found that my neighbour had connected his house to my line and he do not have any meter.

Can anyone suggest how do deal with this?

Last edited by a moderator:

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Report them to the electricity company, the fiscal (theft) and get them disconnected asap. OR find two really big scary looking guys to visit your neighbor and dissuade such behavior.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Go tell them to disconnect it, hopefully they will kill themselves while doing so! We had a guy in our street constantly blacking out the entire street by trying to break into the supply, we had the lecy company out every week until someone eventually took it out on his car and dogs.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I had trusted this guy too much and helped them with whatever I can. Breach of trust bothered me too much and i really felt unsecured living aside.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
a pair of wire cutters should do the trick.

I just found that my neighbour is stealing electricity from my meter. I got the connection just a month ago and i have very little consumption - just a laptop and 2 bulbs. Nothing apart. Today i went to check casually and to my astonishment I found that the meter reading showing almost 300 Kva usage. Later i looked closely at the line and found that my neighbour had connected his house to my line and he do not have any meter.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
He had disconnected this morning after I told him that I am going to complain to the Edenorte. He blamed that he had connected after getting the permission from the apartment owner. But that guy is not in the country. I had to sort this out with him and if it is true I am planning to cut this bill in the rent. Shameless guy... does not seem to be guilty even got caught red- handed stealing. He talks as if it is his right.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
He had disconnected this morning after I told him that I am going to complain to the Edenorte. He blamed that he had connected after getting the permission from the apartment owner. But that guy is not in the country. I had to sort this out with him and if it is true I am planning to cut this bill in the rent. Shameless guy... does not seem to be guilty even got caught red- handed stealing. He talks as if it is his right.

A Dominican being wrong? Not possible.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Welcome to living in the D.R. There are a gazillion folks who steal their electricity, it is common activity there. In some areas I've heard that the Electric company is going to solve this but like all things it will take a lot of time. In many rural areas few people pay which or course results in more blackouts. Es la vida.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If you can find one household, colmado or shop in La Caleta, Boca then I'll eat my shoes. This is a community of thousands of homes that do not pay for electricity. Kids grow up thinking that electricity is free, infact it is funnily enough.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
If you can find one household, colmado or shop in La Caleta, Boca then I'll eat my shoes. This is a community of thousands of homes that do not pay for electricity. Kids grow up thinking that electricity is free, infact it is funnily enough.

And now I understand what's going on when I hear large crowds chanting "Power to the people!!".

:smoke:

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Yes, i know that most people do not pay for the electricity. But this is a different case and he is stealing from me and I had to pay for his huge consumption and criminal wasting of electricity. I was wondering earlier how much he would pay for the electricity when he is wasting it a lot.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Thank you. They are taking it granted since I am a foreigner and unable to communicate with them fluently.
Probably ONLY YOU can answer that, based on the size of your bill. But, I do wish you luck with getting this straightened out

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Since most areas in DR do not even have access to 24 hour power supply it's always going to be an issue...it's frustrating to those of us who come from countries that do have regularly accessible utilities (water, power, gas etc...) when stuff like this happens but that's just one of the issues you have to face when relocating to a country like DR.... it doesn't give your neighbor to break into your power supply and for you to foot the bill... but power stealing is the norm there for most people and a great majority of the homes I've been to don't have meters either...they tap in wherever they can get access... sometimes it's not as simple as you think. My boyfriend's cousin moved into a house that has access to power and they couldn't get the power connected until they paid the balance owing on the previous tennants account... which had been delinquent for quite some time... after weeks without power they finally worked something out and had it turned on.. I could see being desperate enough to try and tap into the line in a case like that.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011

"Quoted": News Journal" Staying safe around electricity is everyone's responsibility. You should watch out for yourself, your friends and your family. ... Always be on the look out for dangers in and around your home. This could be anything from a faulty electrical lead to a "stacked" power point - one with too many plugs in ... DANGERS OF ELECTRICITY;

****its doesn't say anything about Neighbors stealing power from your meter....Make Him Disconnect his own wire....be sure to watch and take lots of pics to download and share after he becomes a French Fry...