Registering as a doctor to practice in this country

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have a friend who is a qualified doctor in Canada with a specialty in geriatrics. He wants to come and work here for a couple of years, together with his Canadian wife. They have both been here for short periods working on medical programmes in the bateys. Ideally he is looking to work with both expats and the local population.

I understand that in order to practice medicine here he will need to be registered. I have done some research online using the various government and medical websites and think that the following is the process

1. Translate all documents relating to medical qualifications into Spanish

2. Have them legalized at the Dominican embassy in Canada

3. Come to the DR and have them legalized again at the Cancilleria

4. Go to the Secretaria de Estado de Educacion superior, Ciencia y Technologia and have the qualifications approved. The cost of this is 250 RD$ per document for a Dominican and 250US$ a document for a foreigner.

5. Now take documents and approval of SEESCYT to the Colegio Medico Dominicano and apply for membership.

6. Finally take documents and membership of the Colegio Medico and go to Salud Publica for registration.

Is there anyone who can confirm this and perhaps give any details as to total cost and timeframe?

Thanks

Matilda

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I believe you have left out that then he/she has to serve an internship at a public facility for a year and retake boards in Spanish. At least this is what I was told when it tired it 5 years ago.

Bob K

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I believe you have left out that then he/she has to serve an internship at a public facility for a year and retake boards in Spanish. At least this is what I was told when it tired it 5 years ago.

Bob K

Thanks Bob. Any idea where I can find this information as it isn't obvious on any of the website I looked at. Mind you that doesn't mean it isn't there.

matilda

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Send a message to Hillbilly if he hasn't yet seen your thread. He is a professor in a medical school in Santiago and is very knowledgeable about the requirements.

There have been past threads on this that might also be of help. Bit Hillbilly was always the one that supplied most of the info.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Remind me next time we chat, Matilda, to give you the email and cell phone number of a young Dominican doctor in Santiago who is currently in the process of becoming licensed. He'd be an excellent resource since his English is pretty good.

I forgot to mention the year of internship when we talked before.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Send a message to Hillbilly if he hasn't yet seen your thread. He is a professor in a medical school in Santiago and is very knowledgeable about the requirements.

There have been past threads on this that might also be of help. Bit Hillbilly was always the one that supplied most of the info.

I did try to pm Hillbilly but it's not working and I did do a search, but only found the basics - nothing on internship and nothing on costs or time lines. Will try pm tomorrow.

matilda

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
This is information I got when I contacted the DR Medical board/agency 5 years ago. It is too bad as I had a lot to offer. There is a doctor (I think his name is Bailess or something similar) who went through this process. Maybe someone has his contact information.

Bob K

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
There is a doctor (I think his name is Bailess or something similar) who went through this process. Maybe someone has his contact information.

Bob K

You refer to Dr JIM Bailes I believe Bob. He retired from practice about 2 years ago to concentrate on his passion of painting. He does not communicate with this forum anymore & most of us have lost his contact details (although I believe he still lives in the Costamber area).

Matilda, your friends best bet would be to contact Dr Spitali at Cabarete Medical Centre as HE was responsible for installing & initiating Jim Bailes through the process. Further, IF your friend has something unique to offer CMC, I am sure Dr Spitali would be interested in offering such an internship! PM, email or message me & I will look his number up on my database for you! ~ Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It has all been prettymuch been covered ( I was not connected for about 48 hours Matilde). The process can tak years, really. Of course if you are Cuban, maybe a graduate of that 18 month Doctor for Third World course that they put out, you could come here and set up right away.

The process is harrowing, but if the guy in Cabarete has done it, he would be your best quide...in reality, the paperwork, as RobK will tell you, that is the dealbreaker... all the running around for US licensed physicians is absurd, but I guess it does keep the riff raft out..

HB