Costambar Pollution?

dmartin29

Apr 29, 2011
I've never been much of a ?poster? but a consummate reader. I pour over your forum with great interest. Planning to retire in next couple of years and have ?convinced? my wife that the ex-pat life is for us. We seem to have it down to Pedasi, Panama (wife's preference) or Puerto Plata area probably Costambar (my choice). We are getting a pretty good handle on pluses and minuses for each but want all the input we can find. Planning another visit, two weeks in each this July.
My wife came across information on the power plant and its pollution. The most recent articles I have found are from 2008. Any updates since then?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I looked closely at Panama. Unless you live at elevation its ungodly hot!!! Found it more civilized in general than the DR and liked it a lot. As I recall Pedasi is not at elevation. Other thing is that gringa women will hate the culture with time unless they go back to the US on a regular basis. Have a good friend in Costa Rica. Started an excellent electrical business, had it made in the shade after a little hard work. Wife now says it me or CR, take your pick, Im leaving. Not sure why exactly but Gringas very rarely are happy in macho latino cultures. I may get jumped for this but that has been my experience. Of course there is always the option of trading her in on a Spanish speaking newer model. Just kidding of course. Good luck wherever you end up. Visit first for a time before you decide.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Pollution is the least of the problems in Costambar! You'll suck up more bad air driving thru Puerto Plata in a day than you will in Costambar in a month.

Like zoom says live here for at least 3 months, preferably a year, to get a handle on the place - some people can't cope with "small town" attitudes here. If you can it's for you, if not I wish you all the best.

Personally I love the place & don't see myself living anywhere else.