Travel Directions from STI (Santiago Airport) to Lifestyle Tropical Resort and Spa

MetroFan19

Apr 30, 2011
Hi everyone,

I have seen this posted on the forum in different topics, but didn't see one topic that gave the complete answer.

I am traveling with 3 other people (4 of us total) into the Dominican Republic. We are arriving into Santiago airport (STI) on a Monday around 10:55 AM. We are staying at the Lifestyle Tropical Resort and Spa on Cofresi Beach. I wanted to confirm that the details I have as to taking public transportation to the resort are correct and is the cheapest option:

1. From the airport, we have to take a taxi to the Caribe Tours bus station in Los Jardines (located at the corner of Calle Maimon and Avenida 27 De Febrerohttp://maps.google.com/, Santiago De Los Caballeros, Rep?blica Dominicana)(is this the closest Caribe Tours bus stop to the STI airport??) that takes approximately a half hour. We were told the cost for the taxi is approximately 600 pesos or $16 US, which equates to 150 pesos per person or $4 US per person. Is this correct?
2. At the Caribe Tours bus terminal, we get on the noon or 1 PM departure Caribe Tours bus from Santiago - Los Jardines to Puerto Plata (we can ask to be dropped off at the Tropical Lifestyle Resort but it is up to the driver...am I correct?) which takes approximately an hour and a half and costs $4 USD or 150 pesos per person.
3. If the driver does not let us off at the resort, we have to take a taxi from the Caribe Tours bus station in Puerto Plata at the corner of Calle Camino Real and Avenida Jos? Eugenio Kounhardt<nobr></nobr>, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic to the Lifestyle Tropical Resort and Spa, Calle Mella, Playa Cofresi 1, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic which takes approximately 15 minutes and costs approximately 600 pesos or $16 US, which equates to 150 pesos per person or $4 US per person.

Is all of this information correct? Sorry for being so detailed; however, we don't speak Spanish and want to make it as easy as possible for us.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

MetroFan19

Apr 30, 2011
Metro Bus Directions

Can someone please post detailed directions for the Metro bus going from STI (Santiago Airport) to the Lifestyle Tropical Resort and Spa doing so like I did for the Caribe Tours?

Thanks very much!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Same as above. The two bus terminals are on the same street. You have to pass byMetro to get to Caribe Tours.

HB

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
With 4 people just take a cab, the driver knows where it is. It is on the same highway as the airport going north about 50 minutes, big sign can't miss it.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I know you asked for the cheapest option, but you would save yourself a lot of hassles (and it would not really cost a whole lot more) by just taking a cab from the airport directly to Lifestyle Resort. Keep in mind that you will be passing Lifestyle with the bus (they wont' let you off if you have luggage) and will have to back track with a taxi for 15 minutes. By taking a taxi direct, and skipping the bus option and 2nd taxi, you will save yourself over an hour or more in time, depending on how fast a bus would leave when you get to the station. Not to talk about the hassles loading and unloading, tips, talking in Spanish, negotiating fares a 2nd time, etc. .....

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
You might be able to find a taxi service here on this board, using the search function or help from a poster, that would take you from airport direct to Lifestyle for less than US$100.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
You may actually find it cheaper to do the cab option. Figure $35 (or more with tip) for cab to metro station, $25 or so for your metro tickets (4 peoploe), then $35 (or more with tip) for cab back from Puerto Plata to your hotel and your total is going to be about $95 or so. We have a driver that our clients use all the time with a fairly new van that will take you for $100 (plus tip).

So for $15 or so more (indluding tips) you will save 1-2 hours a untold hassles and you can do it in "luxury".

Bob K

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
You seem to have done your homework on ground transportation, trust me, take a cab...you could stop anywhere on the way for a few COLD ONES!!!!! :)

Have a GREAT TIME here!!!!!

Sybrash

Jul 11, 2011
HELP! I have read posts on here that span several years and they reccomend Caribe or Metro something or other to travel from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata. All of the posts I've read state that it is cheap, yet when I checked with Caribe, they told me it was $330/pp each way! That would be $1320 for my husband and I to travel across the island and back - more than we paid for our airfare and lodging combined. This just seems outrageous! Am I missing something? We are actually looking at changing our flight to fly into Santiago - I didn't realize there was an airport there when I made my reservations and it is actually cheaper than SD. So, can someone please tell me the best way to travel from either SD or Santiago to Puerto Plata that isn't going to break the bank? We looked at renting a car - which seems to be the cheapest option but after reading these posts and the US government travel website, it doesn't seem like a smart idea. Help. Anyone. Please! : )

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I understand this should be 330 pesos ie less than 10 USD each way. It is really cheap. Please check again.

HELP! I have read posts on here that span several years and they reccomend Caribe or Metro something or other to travel from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata. All of the posts I've read state that it is cheap, yet when I checked with Caribe, they told me it was $330/pp each way! That would be $1320 for my husband and I to travel across the island and back - more than we paid for our airfare and lodging combined. This just seems outrageous! Am I missing something? We are actually looking at changing our flight to fly into Santiago - I didn't realize there was an airport there when I made my reservations and it is actually cheaper than SD. So, can someone please tell me the best way to travel from either SD or Santiago to Puerto Plata that isn't going to break the bank? We looked at renting a car - which seems to be the cheapest option but after reading these posts and the US government travel website, it doesn't seem like a smart idea. Help. Anyone. Please! : )

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
if you can get better price for Santiago or POP ( even little expensive) that would be better than to take the risk of road transport. I understood that you want to spent your time only in POP

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010

Maybe you misunderstood the fare. The quoted price is in Dominican Pesos, which should come out to approximately $35 US Dollars R/T for both you and your hubby!

Melissia Bryant

Mar 22, 2016
I'm going to cofresi palm beach resorts and spa and will be flying to sti airport. My question is how much is transportation for 4 people to and from hotel??

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This thread is 5 years old.
I know you can do it on the cheap via Javilla buses that will stop at the entrance of Cofresi

A car and driver for 4 people plus luggage should be in the neighborhood of $150 (???)

Try and get a poster named Bachata to get you a better answer.

Maybe he will see this.

Also, ask the hotel if they have pick up service. You do have options.

Enjoy your stay but get out of the resort and into town...

HB