Big Dogs

george1

Jan 2, 2011
I hope you are all well.
I have owned big dogs most of my life. I have brought my St. Bernard to this country from the states, but unfortunately he passed away from illness. I also owned a Rottweiler that unfortunately was poisened during a burglary attempt.
It has been now 4 years since I owned a dog. I would love to embark on a new journey and open up a new chapter in life by adding a new dog to our family. I love big dogs and I would really enjoy the character and qualities of a Great Dane.
Does anyone by any chance have any infos on how to obtain one on this Island. After 7 years of residence here I have never seen one.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Wow, its funny the timing of things. I was just speaking to a friend about Great Danes in the DR. I have never seen one there. I will be bringing a puppy when I come bit that is a year away.
If you find any there, please let me know. It might be easier to get one there than bring it but I don't think there are any.
Big dogs are the best. My friend's GD is named Bo and is HUGE but by far the sweetest dog I've ever met (besides Yoshi)

SHALENA

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I think Cobraboy has a great dane, does he not?
Maybe ask him where he got his?
I must say a great dane is a better idea than St bernard, poor sod, a big lump to have to deal with the heat here. The great danes are a bit lighter to deal with it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
After 7 years of residence here I have never seen one.
I have one, Toby, son of Matilda's Tyson and sister to Hillbilly's Missy. Too bad Toby and Tyson have been "fixed."

There are some Great Danes in the DR.

(Toby, the adventure dog, as a pup: )

Search4.jpg

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Here is Toby's dad on his birthday:

vza4ag.jpg

And helping Whirleybird moderate DR1:

mb7jth.jpg

They are actually pretty intelligent, incredibly personable and very loving. They are good as guard dogs as they make so much noise, although Tyson has never bitten anyone he does knock people over and stands over them whilst waiting for the pit bull to finish them off.

I bought him here and if you look here gran danes - animales - perros - gatos - Rep?blica Dominicana you can see there are a lot for sale. Expect to pay around 45,000 RD$.

matilda

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Here is Toby's dad on his birthday:

vza4ag.jpg

And helping Whirleybird moderate DR1:

mb7jth.jpg

They are actually pretty intelligent, incredibly personable and very loving. They are good as guard dogs as they make so much noise, although Tyson has never bitten anyone he does knock people over and stands over them whilst waiting for the pit bull to finish them off.

I bought him here and if you look here gran danes - animales - perros - gatos - Rep?blica Dominicana you can see there are a lot for sale. Expect to pay around 45,000 RD$.

matilda
Awesome!

Toby looks just like Tyson...one of the reasons we got him.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am trying to mate Missy. I am not surehow it will work out but she needs to be mated and then spayed.

Also, there is one of those "guys I know" who told me that he as a pair of Tosas on the island for breeding purposes. These are purebreds, so expect to paysome major bucks, althought the price IS coming down. I was once quoted $6k for a breeding dam.

My Almost Tosa, Yoshi, is a wonderful dog and great to have around.

When I get home I will check out things a bit better.

HB

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I am trying to mate Missy. I am not surehow it will work out but she needs to be mated and then spayed.

Also, there is one of those "guys I know" who told me that he as a pair of Tosas on the island for breeding purposes. These are purebreds, so expect to paysome major bucks, althought the price IS coming down. I was once quoted $6k for a breeding dam.

My Almost Tosa, Yoshi, is a wonderful dog and great to have around.

When I get home I will check out things a bit better.

HB

Why does she needs to be mated before spaying HB?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I love Great Danes... the gentle giants. Fantastic animals. Had one about 16 yrs. ago ... rescued from a shelter. She died young, (bloat), in a boarding kennel, while I was away to a wedding for the weekend. I couldn't have been more shocked.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
They are good as guard dogs as they make so much noise, although Tyson has never bitten anyone he does knock people over and stands over them whilst waiting for the pit bull to finish them off.

matilda
You ought to see unwary Dominicans levitate away from the gate when Toby hears someone and launches his 130lbs. of protective snarl, bark and attitude in that direction.

Between Perla, Jackie and Toby, they have yard security figured out: Perla and Jackie are Early Warning. Toby is the muscle.

We'll never forget meeting Tyson for the first time. That massive frame standing by the gate was quite intimidating. 'Course we didn't know he was a Baby Doll at the time.

Person at the gate, dripping in fear: "Does that dog bite?"
Me: "I don't know." :cheeky:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Wow, I love the pics and thanks for the link Matilda. It doesn't look like the Blues are very popular there but I'd settle for a pure black.

SHALENA

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
You ought to see unwary Dominicans levitate away from the gate when Toby hears someone and launches his 130lbs. of protective snarl, bark and attitude in that direction.

Between Perla, Jackie and Toby, they have yard security figured out: Perla and Jackie are Early Warning. Toby is the muscle.

We'll never forget meeting Tyson for the first time. That massive frame standing by the gate was quite intimidating. 'Course we didn't know he was a Baby Doll at the time.

Person at the gate, dripping in fear: "Does that dog bite?"Me: "I don't know." :cheeky:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2kEUxaQ3c7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The most common here are what the Dominicans call a la King, which I eventually worked out means Harlequin! Same as Tyson.

Matilda

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
a GD is a fine looking animal, but I do not want to recall the times I could enter a certain property without the dog even alerting the owners. I even entered the living room with the dog still sleeping.

I will admit to the fact that they will scare off a number of intruders, but if u really would need them... hmmmm

Aug 21, 2007
Dr. Roberto Spitali from Centro Medico Cabarete has a male Great Dane that is his best friend. Perhaps, Hillbilly, you could contact him about mating your dog.

Lindsey

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I think the difference when great dane barks at you, the tone is so deep it is a bit freaky but most of all you feel the gust of air hit you, more likely to blow you away than bite you.