what do they call wisteria here?

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
maybe this belongs in Spanish 101 but I figured I'd get more answers here...

What do they call the climbing plant "wisteria" here? In Spain it's "glicina" but I get blank looks when asking for this at my local vivero.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
maybe this belongs in Spanish 101 but I figured I'd get more answers here...

What do they call the climbing plant "wisteria" here? In Spain it's "glicina" but I get blank looks when asking for this at my local vivero.

Glicina is fine. here it?s called Glicinia or Alba.
This plant was very popular in the past, but in these days it?s rarely used, therefore it?s hard to find. We dont use it anymore in gardens. there are many other options for climbing/hanging plants including some similar species like Petra (Petrea volubilis) dark blue/purple or Jazm?n chino (jasminum polyanthum) white. If need some other names of climbing plants that are used here let me know.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Glicina is fine. here it?s called Glicinia or Alba.
This plant was very popular in the past, but in these days it?s rarely used, therefore it?s hard to find. We dont use it anymore in gardens. there are many other options for climbing/hanging plants including some similar species like Petra (Petrea volubilis) dark blue/purple or Jazm?n chino (jasminum polyanthum) white. If need some other names of climbing plants that are used here let me know.

Johnny, what's the flowering climbing vine that looks so gorgeous tumbling over tall walls? Something like "trinaria".

We plan to line our front walls with them from the inside, they come in about 6 different colors. Here are a couple of photos of small ones in pots at our house:
CIMG1103.jpg

And my 90 yr. old suegra with another:
CIMG1145.jpg

AE

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Trinitaria, which is known as bougainvillea in the English-speaking world.

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
AlterEgo - this one i know! trinitarian or bougainvillea.

Johnny - thanks for the info, it's true wisteria is rare here i've only seen it in the Colonial Zone. Have since heard it can take 7 years to bloom and can be quite destructive so I might give it a miss.

I have a long, north-south running wall I want to cover the west side with climbing plants. So far I've put in chinola and red trinitarian. The jasmine & petra sound good alternatives to the wisteria.

Please go ahead and suggest any other climbers that are easy to source here. Thanks!

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
AlterEgo - this one i know! trinitarian or bougainvillea.

Johnny - thanks for the info, it's true wisteria is rare here i've only seen it in the Colonial Zone. Have since heard it can take 7 years to bloom and can be quite destructive so I might give it a miss.

I have a long, north-south running wall I want to cover the west side with climbing plants. So far I've put in chinola and red trinitarian. The jasmine & petra sound good alternatives to the wisteria.

Please go ahead and suggest any other climbers that are easy to source here. Thanks!

There's to kind of trinitaria. The ones that stay small and the big ones
The problem with the chinola, it grows like 'mala hierba' (so fast) and I think los ratones se meten.............

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
yeah the chinola grow fast - 16 inches in 11 days! Would be a bummer if the rats beat me to the fruit lol

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Trinitaria is great for defense wall ? thorns that kill, beautiful colors, and uou can plant it by sticking cuttings in the ground. At least 1 out of 3 will grow and within a year or two, even in dry soil, you will have wrist thick trunks and intertangled vines up to 20 feet tall.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
AlterEgo....damn! La suegra looking good for 90 years old. And she's posing like...."Yup, its me. Still got it!"

SHALENA

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AlterEgo....damn! La suegra looking good for 90 years old. And she's posing like...."Yup, its me. Still got it!"

SHALENA

She's a feisty one Shalena, full of **** 'n vinegar. She may outlive us all.

Never a dull moment.

And I haven't met any Dominican who can out-cook her, everything she makes is mouthwatering.

AE

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Trachelospermun jasminoides (Jazmin chino) and Cerstrum nocturnum (dama de noche) are 2 different plants. both are very similar and both have a great fragance.
For a pergola I prefer Jazmin, because is more beautiful during daytime.
The local name for those plants are:
Jazmin chino, jazmin estrellado (Trachelospermun j.)
Lipia o Dama de noche (Cestrum n.)

http://
1jaux2.jpg

Jazmin

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Thanks for the suggestions Johnny. Jazmin Chino seems a better choice for my pergola. Have you seen passiflora caerulea or Strelitzia, and where can I find any/all of them?