getting married very soon :)

GandA

Feb 4, 2011
I'm getting married with a dominican in dominican republic in about 2 or 3 weeks. And I was wondering do I need my birth certificate? Or any other paperwork from the united states? Sorry its my first wedding :) we will be having it in a big beautiful house :)

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
I'm getting married with a dominican in dominican republic in about 2 or 3 weeks. And I was wondering do I need my birth certificate? Or any other paperwork from the united states? Sorry its my first wedding :) we will be having it in a big beautiful house :)

Ok...don't take this the wrong way but if you are getting married in 2-3 weeks then you should know that YES you need your birth certificate, and documentation stating you have never been married. All of this information must also be translated into spanish and certified and some other legal stuff as well. So you may want to get on top of that or your wedding will be only for show and not legal. Unless he is already a legal citizen of the US and then you can just go to the justice office get married and have cermony here. :)

The Dominican Republic and the U.S.A. are members of the La Hague Convention, your official documents MUST be apostilled by your Secretary of State Office. An apostille is an authentication issued on official documents in order to ensure their international validity. It is an attachment to the document.

Valid passport.*
Original Birth Certificate (two photocopies to be sent to our office).
Notarized Single Status Affidavit for each one (original and one copy to be sent to our office).
If previously married, copy of legalized/sealed Divorce Act or Death Certificate (two copies to be sent to our office).**
There is a mandatory 10 months waiting period, for women, after divorced for re-marrying.
Certificate adoption, if applicable (send two copies to our office).
Parental authorization, if applicable (send two copies to our office).
Passport photocopies of the witnesses (if you do not have witnesses, hotel/resort will provide them).
* These documents, except for passport or photo ID and witnesses information, must be translated into Spanish and legalized by the Dominican Consulate before arriving to the Dominican Republic. It is the couple’s responsibility to have all the required documentation before the wedding date.

http://www.wedo.com.do/requirements.htm

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Yes, your passport, legalized birth certificate (not the one from the hospital), certificate from your states' secretary of state that you are not married (I forgot the name of this form) and some patience. If you are not in the DR now have your novio or someone you trust go to the local Jues (JP) to find out what else.
I went to the Jues in Sosua and he was a total waste of time. He was looking for a $$ home run and nothing less would work. I had brought the above paperwork but he wanted more, so on the advice of a friend we went to Jamao and the nice and friendly Lady in a small white office near the park took what we had and did the deed in a very short time.
This is why I say have a friend go ahead of time to be sure there aren't some other issues the local Jues may have. Do this ahead of time so as to not ruin your big day.

GandA

Feb 4, 2011
Is there a place in dominican republic that I can get the items translated in?

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
You shouldn't be getting married yet if you don't know what you need...

I can't believe how stupid some women are and how much in a rush they are to marry their sankies... :cross-eye

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You shouldn't be getting married yet if you don't know what you need...

I can't believe how stupid some women are and how much in a rush they are to marry their sankies... :cross-eye

As stupid as the ones that wanna know how to buy a house in "the Dominican" or "lose touch" with their Dominican husbands for 20 years. LOL
"Don't take it personal..." (in my MONICA singing voice)

SHALENA

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The OP has not given any indication as to what sex they are. And hate to be a pita but the legal forum is for asking/answering legal questions. How else are people to know how things are done in other countries if they don't ask? Especially if one is the foreigner.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
The OP has not given any indication as to what sex they are. And hate to be a pita but the legal forum is for asking/answering legal questions. How else are people to know how things are done in other countries if they don't ask? Especially if one is the foreigner.

Yes, M'aam! :)

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You can erase my 1st comment since I really did not even try to answer his/her original question. Sometimes its just too easy to jump on the bandwagon!

SHALENA

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
I understand being a foreigner and all, but a birth certificate is needed in the US so why would that really be any different here. You can argue that maybe the OP was thinking a passport would be enough identification however again you can't just use that in the US. I can understand not knowing about all of the other stuff. Not to mention most people who are getting married or should I say women get a book of some sort or at least the check list for what all needs to be done and in what time frame. And to wait 2-3 weeks before you are suppose to have your big day to question what all is needed sounds a little shall I say like someone is trying to get married on their next vacation. Again don't have all the facts just saying how it looks from the outside.

Frankestein

May 3, 2011
United States
Well firstly heartiest congratulations to you in advance for getting married...!!! :)
And buddy you must take your birth certificate and other documentations which will prove that you are a American citizen and never been married before...!!!

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hey :) Congrats, first and foremost, on the big day! A few notes from a foreigner formerly married to a Dominican in the DR:

...You NEED a birth certificate, passport, to register the marriage etc. You can take it to an attorney to notarize and do all the translation work for you. The cost is small.

....Prepare yourself for Dominican guests AND judge likely arriving LATE. People came to our wedding only after the ceremony and then bitched and moaned about not having enough food, not being able to take the bottles of wine home with them, etc...and the judge was 2 hours late. Don't lose your cool...you're on island time ;)

...Note that should the potentially-sanky union fall through, you ARE legally married in the US/Canada wherever you may go if you return home. If you want to divorce, you'll have to get it done on YOUR turf (and you'll need the certificate of divorce from the USA if you ever want to remarry)

...Also note that if you sponsor your husband (now, I'm not sure in USA but this is in Canada) you are LEGALLY and FINANCIALLY responsible for him for 3 years (even if you divorce, even if he has a thousand other wives...you're gonna have to pay his bils and support his (maybe) sanky a**)

All that said, I still believe in true love...and I'm happy for you. Keep us informed how the wedding goes and just remember...you're on island time so don't necessarily expect things to go exactly as planned....:)

Heidi C Perez

Jul 2, 2011
good luck, NO one in DR was helpfull! its all about money. A family member had to help make my wedding possible. cuz all my papers that were translated . well they were not good enough, b-cuz it wasn't by a Dominican consul.