Proof of residency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2nice

May 2, 2011
I am a professional US online poker player and during my time here in cabarete, the US has enforced poker sites to disallow play. I am trying to maintain my ability to play. I was going to open a dr bank account however, it doesnt look like that is going to be enough. I have to show that I am living here in the dominican republic one way or another. This can be done either by a uitlity bill, passport , or govt issued id obv. I am going to be here for another month and I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on ez ways in coming up with necessary documentation to let them think that I am living here. I have thought about going to an immigraations lawyer, but I am trying to avoid that as it seems like the process is lengthy and costly. Like I said, I am a professional poker player and I have relied on this income for the past 3 years. I am not trying to break any laws. I am just trying to provide poker sites the information they need so that I can play poker and continue making a living. Please keep your opinions/thoughts to yourself if you arent going to actually be of assistance to me.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
I am a professional US online poker player and during my time here in cabarete, the US has enforced poker sites to disallow play. I am trying to maintain my ability to play. I was going to open a dr bank account however, it doesnt look like that is going to be enough. I have to show that I am living here in the dominican republic one way or another. This can be done either by a uitlity bill, passport , or govt issued id obv. I am going to be here for another month and I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on ez ways in coming up with necessary documentation to let them think that I am living here. I have thought about going to an immigraations lawyer, but I am trying to avoid that as it seems like the process is lengthy and costly. Like I said, I am a professional poker player and I have relied on this income for the past 3 years. I am not trying to break any laws. I am just trying to provide poker sites the information they need so that I can play poker and continue making a living. Please keep your opinions/thoughts to yourself if you arent going to actually be of assistance to me.

Your best (legal) bet is to actually become a resident, and have the "authentic" paperwork available. Now, that is my "opinion/thought", and I hope it helps. I do personally know that Forex trading is starting to run into some "similar" funky rules. But, the best advice I can give in your situation is --- if it's not "legal" advice (from a lawyer), then it's gonna be an opinion!

:cool:

Feb 7, 2007
What matters is what documentation will the poker site accept. There are lots of threads about "fast-track" documents on the board, whether the poker site checks the authenticity (and how) is a different question.

Your bank statement may show your address.

You can do a sworn notarized statement saying that you established a residency in the country and are process in obtaining the government ID (residency). Whether the poker site will accept that, I don't know.

A utility bill will be harder, because for each one (electricity, phone, water, etc.) you will need to get an account with the utility company and for that you would need a rental contract, plus pay a deposit.

Now this will be on the edge, but there is one chance .... you can do a "traspaso" of your electric contract. if you have a friend who has an electric service, with all bills paid, you can do a simple "move-over" of the contract to you, by both going to the local EDE office. After the next invoice comes out, you use it for the poker site, pay it, and then after all is checked and cleared you do a "traspaso" (move-over) back to the original owner. Other than that, you have very few options besides REALLY becoming a legal/non-legal resident and really establishing utilities in your name.

2nice

May 2, 2011
Rubio, thank you. Your trespaso suggestion is a very good idea. I have a motochonco friend that is pretty tight with me. I might see if he wants to do something like that.
Could you tell me anything about the fast tracking or give me a link or something? .... The poker sites to not check authenticity as I scan the documents and dont give them an actual copy. Once again, thanks for taking the time to give me your suggestions as residency really is not an option due to the requirements with regard to solvency.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I am not trying to break any laws. I am just trying to provide poker sites the information they need so that I can play poker and continue making a living.
I guess only us amateur players are breaking the law. I opened a prepaid cellular account and went to office and asked for a printed monthly statement. Showed my name, dominican address, and monthly transactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.