looking for a good Spanish teacher in Sosua area

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Any advice? I am looking for a Spanish teacher who has a more 'intelligent' approach to teaching than just following the book. I have tried a couple of local teachers but they seem incapable of doing anything else...just seems to be grammar, grammar, grammar!

I learned french recently (was living in a francophone country) and found that the best teaching for me was a mix of grammar, listening and conversation though am aware that this takes more effort on the behalf of the teacher but certainly made it easier to learn.

Any advice gratefully received...K

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is a good language school in Sosua. Many students from colleges and universities in Europe spend time there and get credit from their school. My sister and a nephew were tutored there during a vacation visit and were very pleased.

As I understand it, they have a variety of options, ranging from being in a class with students of about save ability to individual tutoring.

http://www.esl-languages.com/en/adu...-instituto-intercultural-del-caribe/index.htm

Last edited:

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Actually, that is looking kinda expensive and maybe a little more intensive than i need. (i really dont have time for 20 lessons a week!)

Any other recommendations anyone?

Ian Harvey

Dec 27, 2011
I had great luck with Carlos Alvarez. He showed up on time every day, proved to be a super teacher, was flexible, and also what I really appreciated was his character. He's a friend now! Carlos can be found on facebook at private spanish lessons in dom. rep. or can be reached at carlos.alvrz@hotmail.com or 809 697 2463. I am going to continue studying with him on Skype!