4% Campaign

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
the 4 % group was invented by the Miguel Vargas people as a way to create animosity toward the ruling government. They did it this way since all of their other anti-government actions were not reacted to in the way they hoped, and the great majority of the people were ignoring them. This " spontaneous " movement was months in the making, with the lead time needed to have all of the Yellow shirts made and printed, and the same goes for the unusual yellow umbrellas and car decals. I am still curious to know how much $ was spent on this campaign so far, and exactly where the $ came from.
I agree with President Fernandes that $ alone do not solve education problems. I went through the NYC public school system that, in the 1950"s was considered one of the best in the US. With all the $ put into it now it now is one of the worst.

You will see the truth to this movement come out in the open when the 2012 campaign begins in earnest. I have been involved in many forms with the Dominican Republic since the 1960"s and have learned how to see things under the surface. What you think you are seeing is usually wrong.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
PS....If you viewed any of the Vargas campaign for the PRD nomination, you would have noticed the people in the yellow shirts and those carrying the yellow umbrellas strategicly placed in the ads along with the floating umbrellas..and if you looked carefully at his eyes while he was speaking, you would have noticed that he was looking at his teleprompter, not directly at the camera.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Well the Vargas campaign may well have started the show off but it has massive civic support now and is way beyond one political party. The groups that are involved are the ones who stopped the cement plant in los Haititses.. Toy Harto is pressing a law suit against all the sitting members of Congress and they have over 1,000 plaintiffs.

Only Ecuador and Haiti spend less on education than the DR. They are missing 11000 classrooms, over 75000 teachers.. the students who want to enter the schools at 5 and 7 are not able to . They have NO special education for any kids.

This coalition that is now behind it crosses lines that have never been crossed before, they are students, intellectuals and workers. The Gallup poll said that 94% of the population is behind this effort.

So even if it just started out as something that some politico did to make trouble for Leonel.. the cat is now out of the bag.

They are going to have to give the 4%

and I believe that these civic groups are also going to insist that they clean up the government.. since they have studies that show that 30% of the budget goes to excess and corruption.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Take it out of the 20% for yipetas.

The PLD can make a big deal out of allocating 4% for education and blow Hipo out of the water.

If Vargas' people created this campaign they gave the PLD an issue that they can easily co-opt.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Is 4% a magic number that if spent will cure all the problems with Dominican Education? The money has to be spent wisely. A raise in money allocated to Education will mean the teachers and administrators make more money but the quality of education will not improve. The problems are many, and the government has been making inroads on them. I've attended a number of meetings with school district officials where they've presented the government plan for the future, shown what training is available for the teachers...etc. There is an adult literacy program, there is night school for adults, there is an effort to bring education to the Campo.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Is 4% a magic number that if spent will cure all the problems with Dominican Education?
I thought it was the constitutional mandate.

I wonder what will be cut to shift the funds to education? Unless, of course, a big tax hike is planned which rarely benefits an economy by themselves.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Yes, I think it is in the Constitution but I would have to check. I assume that is the basis for the lawsuit which Toy Harto is pressing against the sitting members of Congress.. that they did not abide by the Constitution.

And I agree that money alone will not solve the problem. But it might help if teaching paid a living wage, no?

Right now, working two shifts.. or 8 hours of class time.. a teacher comes in below the canasta basica of the second poorest level.. and we know how poor that is.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's from an international convention that states that 4% of GDP is the minimum that a nation should allocate to education.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
It's from an international convention that states that 4% of GDP is the minimum that a nation should allocate to education.

The truth is that they can allocate 20% of the GDP and it would still not help anything until the government gets tough laws to force kids to go to school even if it means penalizing parents for not registering them and making them go.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
MR DR, truer words have never been spoken. Japan spends only 3.2% of GDP on education, and look at what they have achieved.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
It's in the Constitution of the Dominican Republic.

Not that the Constitution means anything to politicians.

But money isn't the problem. For instance, the US has been throwing billions at edumacation since the establishment of the DoEd and the quality/results of edumacation there has continued to crater.

What Dominicans need is the political will at the parental level to improve edumacation. I don't see it.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008

Not that the Constitution means anything to politicians.

But money isn't the problem. For instance, the US has been throwing billions at edumacation since the establishment of the DoEd and the quality/results of edumacation there has continued to crater.

What Dominicans need is the political will at the parental level to improve edumacation. I don't see it.

QFT!! Money and politicians are not the solution. Until the parents become actively involved in their children's education, nothing will change. It's my firm belief that is the cause of the education issues in the US as well.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
- based on the recommendation of an international convention.

Both need to improve, yes.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Doesn't matter why. It's there and the gubmint has never come close to abiding by it.

CB, "4% of GDP for eduction" is not in the current version of the Dominican constitution nor was it part of the prior versions of the Constitution (2002 & 1994). There is however, General education law N? 66-97 (Ley General de Educaci?n N? 66-97, aprobada el 9 de abril de 1997) that in article 197 states a minimum of 16% of public expenditure or 4% of GDP whichever is grater should be allocated (spent?) on education.
Art. 197.- El gasto p?blico anual en educaci?n debe alcanzar en un per?odo de dos a?os, a partir de la promulgaci?n de esta ley, un m?nimo de un diecis?is por ciento (16%), del gasto p?blico total o un cuatro por ciento (4%) del producto bruto interno (PBI) estimado para el a?o corriente, escogi?ndose el que fuere mayor de los dos, a partir del t?rmino de dicho per?odo, estos valores deber?n ser ajustados anualmente en una proporci?n no menor a la tasa anual de inflaci?n, sin menoscabo de los incrementos progresivos correspondientes en t?rminos de porcentaje del gasto p?blico o del producto interno bruto (PBI).
Source: http://www.oas.org/juridico/spanish/mesicic2_repdom_sc_anexo_7_sp.pdf

Law 66-97 is backed by the current constitution (2010) Art. 63. inc. 10

Art?culo 63.- Derecho a la educaci?n. Toda persona tiene derecho a una educaci?n integral, de calidad, permanente, en igualdad de condiciones y oportunidades, sin m?s limitaciones que las derivadas de sus aptitudes, vocaci?n y aspiraciones. En consecuencia:

10) La inversi?n del Estado en la educaci?n, la ciencia y la tecnolog?a deber? ser creciente y sostenida, en correspondencia con los niveles de desempe?o macroecon?mico del pa?s. La ley consignar? los montos m?nimos y los porcentajes correspondientes a dicha inversi?n. En ning?n caso se podr? hacer transferencias de fondos consignados a financiar el desarrollo de estas ?reas;

Source: Dominican Republic: Constitutions

NotLurking

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
For those that doubt for a second where this 4% BS started look in this pic:

showimage.php

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB, "4% of GDP for eduction" is not in the current version of the Dominican constitution nor was it part of the prior versions of the Constitution (2002 & 1994). There is however, General education law N? 66-97 (Ley General de Educaci?n N? 66-97, aprobada el 9 de abril de 1997) that in article 197 states a minimum of 16% of public expenditure or 4% of GDP whichever is grater should be allocated (spent?) on education.

Source: http://www.oas.org/juridico/spanish/mesicic2_repdom_sc_anexo_7_sp.pdf

Law 66-97 is backed by the current constitution (2010) Art. 63. inc. 10

Source: Dominican Republic: Constitutions

NotLurking
Thanks. MOL the same isn't it?