Renewable Energy businesses in DR?

Joshua.Rodriguez

May 8, 2011
I'm thinking about starting a renewable energy company. For those living in DR have you seen any sort of thing? How is the competition and is the government open to alternatives sharing the grid with CDEEE. Since the energy companies are state owned how hard would it be to join the market?

Thanks in advanced
Josh

Gordon Gekko

Nov 2, 2005
Hi Joshua,

Best of luck with your new venture. I am enclosing two sources of information to further your market research. The first one is from a Dominican energy consultant (Cornell Phd) who is very active in advising in the subject. If you get past his political tantrums, there's a wealth of great information here - items that would be next to impossible to find elsewhere.

The second link is the website to the Comision Nacional de Energia. There is a strong push - at least on paper - to find and fund alternative energy/cleantech projects as evidenced by the "inter-institutional cooperation agreement" signed at the end of March.

Grupo Millennium Hispaniola
Comisin Nacional de Energa - Rep. Dom.

I have access to a lot of resources that you could leverage (Silicon Valley VC funds, Harvard, Stanford, MIT networks, investment banks/private equity) and I would be more than happy to help.

Best,

Cris

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
If you do it, PM me to discuss an estimate for my house. I lived solar and wind for more than 20 years, but can't find a cost-effective solution here in the DR. (PS: tropical sun, salt air and tropical storm threats make solar installations here problematic, not in the el.eng. sense, but for the physical installations.)

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I would think that the business needs to be combined with some 'bread and butter' work. e.g. emergency plumbing, generator hire, roof repairs, security alarms etc. One reason its tough is lack of credit; another physical security.
Having said that there are some nice installations.

Yanandu

Joshua.Rodriguez

May 8, 2011
Thanks for all of your replies @ gordon thanks for the references. I'm trying to first push Fuel Cells since they have a higher kilowatt output and would be beneficial to small communities and medium to large businesses. I've seen wind and solar used for residential areas around the campos and around the capital but i haven't visited DR since 05'

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks for all of your replies @ gordon thanks for the references. I'm trying to first push Fuel Cells since they have a higher kilowatt output and would be beneficial to small communities and medium to large businesses. I've seen wind and solar used for residential areas around the campos and around the capital but i haven't visited DR since 05'

what is the economic feasibility of the current generation of fuel cell generators? i have it from an expert that it costs 1.29 in inputs to produce 1.00 worth of power, at least in the USA and Europe. i would suspect that the same dynamics apply in the case of the DR.

grsher

Jan 16, 2008
Photovoltaics

Can anyone tell me what the import duties and taxes are for bringing solar panels and accessories, such as inverters, into the DR. I read earlier this year that Renewable Energy products brought into the country are going to be treated differently than other goods and possibly be duty free. Anyone have more info?

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Does anyone have knowledge of Trash Burning Incinerators with back end technology that are generating electricity in the RD?? There is a lot of trash strewn about on this isle, and that would be a great way to get rid of it while creating and renewable energy source!!

Any feed back??