VERY URGENT: Correcting an error on the Visa to the US

AndrewDR

Mar 30, 2011
I know a lot of people here like to put down peoples goals of bringing Dominicans home as Fiances, this is not the right place for that kinda post. Useful information only please.

My Fiances was granted the k-1 visa last month. It took about a week for it to arrive in the mail. When it arrived she noticed the DOB was wrong. Now if that were the only problem, I wouldn't be so concerned and would just wait for it to be corrected and them send it back. But, she is 7 months pregnant. It has now been almost 2 weeks since we returned the passport to correct the visa. I have called 20 times and supposedly been transfered to the right place to get this answered with no success.

How long SHOULD this take?
I have heard that pregnant women can be turned away at the airport, is this true?
Does anyone know of another number to call other than 809-221-2171?

Again, I am not asking for your advice on relationships with Dominican's nor do I want to hear any comments about heres my chance to get out of a bad situation. Thanks.

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
Some airlines do have restrictions on pregnant women over 8 months but that is not all so you should check with the airline you will be using to make sure.

Best of luck!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Are you able to go directly to the embassy and find out and/or do you have a state representative that can make an inquiry for you?

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
CDC Info

How long SHOULD this take?
I have heard that pregnant women can be turned away at the airport, is this true?
Does anyone know of another number to call other than 809-221-2171?

Info from CDC (US Center for Disease Control): "Airline Policies and Airport Security: Each airline has policies regarding pregnancy and flying; it is always safest to check with the airline when booking reservations, because some will require medical forms to be completed. Domestic travel is usually permitted until the pregnant traveler is in week 36 of gestation, and international travel may be permitted until weeks 32–35, depending on the airline. A pregnant woman should be advised to carry documentation stating the expected day of delivery, contact information for her obstetric provider, and her blood type."

American Airlines: "International/Over Water Travel: For international travel or any flights over the water, travel is not advised within 30 days of the due date, unless you are examined by an obstetrician within 48 hours of outbound departure and certified in writing as medically stable for flight. Travel within 10 days of the due date for International travel must have clearance from our Special Assistance Coordinators. Travel within 7 days after delivery requires clearance as well. For more information, please contact a Special Assistance Coordinator through AA Reservations at 800-433-7300."

Last edited:

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Did she disclose the pregnancy on the visa application.
According to the State Dept:
N6.6 Additional Factors That May Raise Questions in K-1 Cases

a. There are several possible discrepancies between the facts stated on the petition and the actual circumstances of the K-1 beneficiary which might lead the consular officer to question whether the relationship is bona fide or which might cause the petitioner to choose not to go forward with the marriage. These include having one or more children not named in the petition, or a prior undisclosed marriage (even if it has been annulled or ended by divorce or death), or, in the case of a fiancee, a current pregnancy.
New Nonimmigrant 41.81(k) Notes

Remember a visa is only permission to travel to a US port of entry, it is not a guarantee that entry will be allowed.

AndrewDR

Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for keeping the responses on topic.

Her due date is July 20th and she will probably go Delta which does not state any restrictions. She also has a doctors note stating that as her projected due date. I heard though that the person at the ticket counter can deny them boarding if they felt there was any risk.

Her pregnancy was not mentioned on the petition because she wasn't pregnant when it was submitted. We already had the interview and the visa was granted and during the interview when I was asked how many kids she had I said none at this time, but will have her 1st in 3 months. in addition to that, I do not recall any portion of the visa application that requests that information.

I used to work in an airport and translated a few times during the entrance processing. I am aware that the CBP agent has the complete control to turn someone away even though they have a valid visa. This rarely happens and if it did I with us I would raise hell.

My main concern was the time of processing to make a correction to a visa that was already granted and printed wrong in her passport. Today I finally got ahold of a human being in the consulate. She said as far as she can tell in the system that the DOB has been corrected but has no idea where the physical passport is and if it has been changed. She said to call back tomorrow. I hope it does not take another week to get to someone there.

Thanks again for the responses.

N3lly

May 9, 2011
Did they say when you sent the passport for the correction how long it was going to take? I believe this may take up to 4 weeks. That is the standard answer they give you when they have to process something and send Passport back. Also after the 8th month most airlines don't allow women to travel

AndrewDR

Mar 30, 2011
They didnt say when it would be done AT ALL... they just said it will be sent back when its corrected. Then when she asked how long THAT would take, they said the same thing... Either way, I hope I have more useful info when I call back in the morning.

AndrewDR

Mar 30, 2011
Ok, I got ahold of the lady in the consulate again, visa was taken care of and delivered the next day. She will be in the states on monday. Thanks for the responses.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Congrats Andrew, maybe you can keep us posted on all the settling in and issues that may or may not arise.

AndrewDR

Mar 30, 2011
She has been here a few days now and things are great. I have been feeling happier than I have ever been my whole life. I feel like all the stresses in the world mean nothing now that I have the most important things to me.

She has met most of my family already and when I am working I drop her off at my parents house. They kinda struggle to communicate as expected but really are enjoying eachothers company. This really is a testament that this really can work.

For anyone worried about their significant others legitimacy just be patient. We have been together for 4 years and a few months now and it was not easy being I live in the US and her there. I have visited about 10 times and stayed once for 3 months while I worked for a call center. It was a great experience and rather humbling working for 500/month.

The greatest testament to me that her feelings for me are true is it took her over a year to say the words she loved me. She had always said te quiero, but never te amo. And the first time she said it was not even to me. She said it to her mother about me. She does miss her family already. Anyway, Ill keep you posted as the baby comes around. 2 more months.