Information about San Cristobal

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Hello there,
I would like to know where I could find some more information about San Cristobal. I checked on google but not satisfied with the results. We used to live in Puerto Plata before, now since 1 1/2 yrs in Bavaro. But we might be in for a change.
I would need to know a lot about the area, like schools, INTERNET, rentals, maybe buying / building something. Any help / tips are much appreciated.
Thank you very much
Michael

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Do you mean the city of San Cristobal, or the province? The city is a hustle and bustle kind of place, like a mini Santo Domingo. Can't imagine moving there from Bavaro. Crowded. Now, outside of the city there are some nice quiet beach towns - Playa Najayo and Playa Palenque - in San Cristobal province. We have a house in Najayo, I like being close to San Cristobal for the shopping [LaSirena]. If I had it to do over again I'd buy in Palenque. Beach is quieter and better class of customers....

That being said - neither of them have decent 'first world' schools. Internet is OK in both, not great. I'd be surprised if there's a good school in San Cristobal, probably none for English speaking children. You'd have to drive them to Santo Domingo for that.

AE

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Well, we are Gringo / Dominican family ;). So a bilingual school would do like the level of the 'Calasanz' schools if existing. Thats why I am investigating. A decent school and a good internet (not only claro) availability is important. La Sirena is there? Thats good to know. No, it doesn't have to be in the town, close to it yes. Beach is not that important, that we have plenty here but I like more an area with at least some hills / mountains around. How much is it to rent a 2-3 bedroom house there? Not with furniture, we have our own. We do not need a/c or pool. Something modest, but not too modest.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Btw, where could I find some more pics of the area? Tried google (very few and lots not related) and flickr (close to nothing)...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Or, is there another area / town more recommendable? The goal is close to Sto. Dgo.!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I can't help you with schools, our kids are 29 & 31 [also dominican/gringo]. How about the outskirts of Santo Domingo, if that's your goal. With school-age children you're going to be rather limited - once you leave SD the schools are not great nearby [unless you find a Catholic school....maybe]. I'm assuming your kids are bi-lingual. There may be one in San Cristobal, I'm not sure.

I don't have any photos of San Cristobal, it's not exactly a tourist destination so you won't find many. Trujillo had several homes there, we used to like going to La Toma when our kids were small.

AE

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
The best school in town is considered Loyola, run by the Augustinian Fathers. All education is in Spanish. They do have a couple of buses that run to other towns.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
...thank you AE, we have one boy, 8 yrs old. He speaks of course Spanish, understands and knows a little German. I want him to learn English, thats why I am looking for a good bi-lingual school.
Outskirts of Santo Domingo sounds good, too. Can you recommend some by name? Since I know not too many places in the Capital.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Well, that doesn't sound good. Would you say maybe some suburb of Santo Domingo would be a better choice?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There's always Cambita - a beautiful cool mountain area high up above San Cristobal - there are a lot of weekend homes and some new residential developments there, but it's probably too far for school commuting, especially to the capital.

Quintas de Cambita

I've also heard that the Loyola school in SC is good, but you may not want your child to have a religious education and in any case it won't be bilingual. There are some pleasant areas in the capital like Gazcue, Mirador Sur/Bella Vista/Cacigazcos, parts of Arroyo Hondo and environs which would give you better access to a range of bilingual schools.

If you need a change from the east/north coasts but don't really like the idea of the big city, what about La Romana/Bayahibe with the choice of Lincoln school (said to be one of the best in the country) or the new branch of New Horizons (a very good bilingual school with branches in Santiago and SD) in La Estancia, between La Romana and Bayahibe.

El Colegio Biling?e New Horizons La Estancia anuncia inicio de inscripciones. | La Estancia

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
There's always Cambita - a beautiful cool mountain area high up above San Cristobal - there are a lot of weekend homes and some new residential developments there, but it's probably too far for school commuting, especially to the capital.

Quintas de Cambita

I've also heard that the Loyola school in SC is good, but you may not want your child to have a religious education and in any case it won't be bilingual. There are some pleasant areas in the capital like Gazcue, Mirador Sur/Bella Vista/Cacigazcos, parts of Arroyo Hondo and environs which would give you better access to a range of bilingual schools.

If you need a change from the east/north coasts but don't really like the idea of the big city, what about La Romana/Bayahibe with the choice of Lincoln school (said to be one of the best in the country) or the new branch of New Horizons (a very good bilingual school with branches in Santiago and SD) in La Estancia, between La Romana and Bayahibe.

El Colegio Biling?e New Horizons La Estancia anuncia inicio de inscripciones. | La Estancia

Trying to push that 'like' button... Won't let me this morning... Schools are looking good, the residential area looks great but out of my range I am afraid. But the La Romana / Bayahibe area would be not too far away.

ade

Jun 14, 2005
we've got a part-built luxury house for sale in sainagua san cristobal - might be worth a look if you like to live in urbanized area of the campo! Only 15 minutes from centre by car so close to the action LOL

dofie

Jul 23, 2011
My family is in Sancris and I am one of those cousins on the transition to moving back home. My gringo hubby and I spent all of last winter there walking around with our double stroller. I am ashamed to say within a month he was fully adapted and buddies with all the motoristas watching his back, while I still couldnt boil water. I have not been back since I was a child and was full of aprehension beacuse of the stories we all hear. I never got mugged or harrased even though I was on foot most of the trip. I was also not wearing rolexes or walking around with airs. The worse incident was I was warned by a local about walking around by myself later on in the afternoon with an expensive handbag, who later proceeded to walk me home to make sure I got there OK. A lapse of common sense on my part.
Sancris is not going to b as pretty as Puerto Plata or other tourist spots but it is also a lot less expensive. For someone who wants to live in DR and not have to adapt to living outside of the western world, it is a bad place to be. You are going to have to deal with some of the ghettoness and problems of DR. Like la luz and garbage pick up and el panedero, wait that is not a problem! But you say you are a part Dominican family so youd understand and know how to handle them. The perks are a life a lot more relaxed than the capital with people who are a lot less frou frou and more down to earth. For what you buy a condo for in Punta Cana you can get a home in a nicer part of town in Sancris.
Schools are the same. They may not be as highly touted or pretty as the ones in the capital, but I can asure you my husband and I were ashamed of the US school system after speaking to our little cousins and realizing how inteligent they are after going to school for only half a day. Anyways my husband and I timed a drive from La Sirena to the Capital in 7 minutes, 15 to get to La Eskina de Tejas, 30 in crappy midday traffic. You could easily live in Sancris and do all your shopping, kids school and work in the capital which is what a lot of people in Sancris do.
You are not going to be able to do all your errands walking around and you will loose some of that developed worlr air in punta cana but you will make out for it in a much cheaper lifestyle. There are a lot of very educated warm and positive people in Sancris and mayb having those connections can make me partial but I dont think it is a bad town, and conveniently close to the capital.