Anyone bought a Vonage box instore here? Where?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Anyone bought a Vonage box instore here, I'd like to know where they can be found, if they are easy to find? I haven't been hunting yet but thought I'd save myself some stress and get some pointers before I do so.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Does it have to be a vonage adapter or are you simply looking for a voip adapter example: pap2 or pap2-na.
These Ata linksys adapters are used for various types of voip setups. The majority of them sold in DR are Chinese modified. Meaning, they have a Chinese chip installed to make them act like pap2-na (unlocked version of linksys pap2 adapter). The problem is, these cheap quality boxes get fried over some time. They have lasted anywhere from a few months to a few years. I have 3 fried boxes in my closet. Now I don't use them as my new Android powered HTC G2 phone does the same job when I am in wifi. When I am home or office, my G2 android logs on to wifi automatically and so does my sip program (Csipsimple). Now I have an american line on my cell phone through wifi and I can receive calls on my cell when people in USA dial my atlanta area code number. No more linksys cheap chinese ata adapters for me. I have an amerian phone anywhere where there is wifi. I have my sip program configured to callcentric and the Ipkall pstn number forwards all my calls to my callcentric on my cell. I actually have it connected to my google voice account. Now I have a free american line on my cell phone. Unlimited incoming and out going calls to usa and canada.
Viva google voice, Viva android G2 phone.
AZB

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Well, I have been advised this is what is best for me to use and get from someone using this unit here. It will be worked hard, about 10-12 hours a day, I need unlimited free calls to the US, and I need to get organized asap, with everything, I'm looking from fresh. I haven't committed to internet, phone, provider or anything yet, until I have a clear view of what I'm doing and setting up here I think it is best not to commit to anything. As this is not my strongest area I am really at the mercy of others info and advice to get this set up and running well and as cheaply as possible. Any help in what to do is appreciated. Please bare in mind this is not a strong point for me and so explanation for idiots will be required for it to sink in.
cheers guys!!

Feb 7, 2007
You would need a US credit card or US bank account to order Vonage from the DR. Then you can have it shipped to Miami to one of the many freight forwarders. Vonage now offers unlimited calls to DR cellphones for about 50 dollars per month plus taxes.

Also be aware of one thing: if you give the box 10-12 hours of usage per day, no VOIP carrier will accept you on residential plan. Most of them have FUP. They have unlimited calls, but "fairly" unlimited, meaning 10-12 hours per day is not "fair". You will be shut down unless you subscribe to a business voip plan. Google around.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Does it have to be a vonage adapter or are you simply looking for a voip adapter example: pap2 or pap2-na.
These Ata linksys adapters are used for various types of voip setups. The majority of them sold in DR are Chinese modified. Meaning, they have a Chinese chip installed to make them act like pap2-na (unlocked version of linksys pap2 adapter). The problem is, these cheap quality boxes get fried over some time. They have lasted anywhere from a few months to a few years. I have 3 fried boxes in my closet. Now I don't use them as my new Android powered HTC G2 phone does the same job when I am in wifi. When I am home or office, my G2 android logs on to wifi automatically and so does my sip program (Csipsimple). Now I have an american line on my cell phone through wifi and I can receive calls on my cell when people in USA dial my atlanta area code number. No more linksys cheap chinese ata adapters for me. I have an amerian phone anywhere where there is wifi. I have my sip program configured to callcentric and the Ipkall pstn number forwards all my calls to my callcentric on my cell. I actually have it connected to my google voice account. Now I have a free american line on my cell phone. Unlimited incoming and out going calls to usa and canada.
Viva google voice, Viva android G2 phone.
AZB

I wonder if you could translate this into more basic English for me? I use SKYPE to call friends who have it .. and call some friends with cell phones when their plan allows for no charge for international incoming. And then just use my land line here for other calls to the US but would love a way to have a US number here,, How do you do that? I went to google voice and it said that it was not available here...

thanks

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
You would need a US credit card or US bank account to order Vonage from the DR. Then you can have it shipped to Miami to one of the many freight forwarders. Vonage now offers unlimited calls to DR cellphones for about 50 dollars per month plus taxes.

Also be aware of one thing: if you give the box 10-12 hours of usage per day, no VOIP carrier will accept you on residential plan. Most of them have FUP. They have unlimited calls, but "fairly" unlimited, meaning 10-12 hours per day is not "fair". You will be shut down unless you subscribe to a business voip plan. Google around.

Exactly how I got my vonage box, shipped to miami and forwarded to Cabarete.

Had a few friends get shut down on vonage & skype due FUP (Fair Usage Policy), I just cancelled my vonage and now I just use google voice on iphone (for friends & family) and local sim. And skype for business.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Boy oh boy, my headache is just getting bigger and bigger. Surely there is an easier way to sort this out. Even google isn't much help as it predicts we all know modern tech speak and so writes for the technically minded know it all.

So Vonage is a no go, I can't get stuff shipped through Miama or anywhere else in the US, I need something from here.

Anastacio, keep in mind that a box by itself is not the solution. You would need a provider account, think about as your cable service, you can have the box but if it is not activated it does not work. Vonage boxes can be hacked or modified to accept other providers, but that would required some of AZB's recommendations above to be integrated. The Vonage option only works if you have a US account (Not sure about Canada), with a credit card on file, and a monthly plan. My relatives in the US opened an account for me, shipped me the equipment, and I was able to connect it to my high speed (Flash?) in DR. Your high volume of calls is also an issue as other have mention.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Yeh, I have written to AZB asking for some help, hopefully he can sort me out with a solution to my problem. It does look like the Vonage box is not the answer, I don't have anything US or Canadian for a start, so I dunno, I'll wait for the master to get back to me, see what he has to say.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I think the Op would need help on this from the scratch as he has no clue about voip systems. In other words: someone would have to set it up for him and then give me 24/7 tech support. No way he can do this on his own and then be able to trouble-shoot on regular basis if problems occur.
AZB

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
This has become a true nightmare. This is obviously way more complicated than I expected before committing to it. I think to do this properly I need to commit to offering someone something to get me through the first month, until I get the idea of what I'm doing, maybe 2 month. This would depend on the MASSIVE hearts of some of our more technically minded community, AZB, lol!!
I think doing it economically this is the only solution, or one of them.

I'm gunna give Chip a call tomorrow, see if we can do anything with this Vonage stuff, so I'm not screwing myself.
Any idea, obviously welcome.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This has become a true nightmare. This is obviously way more complicated than I expected before committing to it. I think to do this properly I need to commit to offering someone something to get me through the first month, until I get the idea of what I'm doing, maybe 2 month. This would depend on the MASSIVE hearts of some of our more technically minded community, AZB, lol!!
I think doing it economically this is the only solution, or one of them.

I'm gunna give Chip a call tomorrow, see if we can do anything with this Vonage stuff, so I'm not screwing myself.
Any idea, obviously welcome.

Anastacio

I don't know if I understand completely what you need but I was thinking you were trying to get a Vonage box asap because you were interested in starting a plan with them. I really don't know anything about modifying the box for other purposes.

Also, Vonage unlimited business plans goes for $50 a month but it appears phonepower is much cheaper. Here's the link: VoIP Phone Service | FREE VoIP Calls | Phone Power VoIP Provider

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Maybe he should start with magicjack first. This is available in santo domingo. He needs to test a business for a week. If it takes off, then i guess he can update the equipment to something better. if the business is not to his liking, then he can just use magicjack for personal use as there is no monthly costs to keep one.
remember, if you have a black out and you are on inverter or UPS, you may have a disturbing hum (buzzing sound) on the line which can ruin your talking experience over magicjack.
AZB

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010

I contacted vonage recently and they were explaining the box device to me too.. they said you need a good reliable broadband type internet for it to work well and that you could make unlimited free calls from a US vonage # to the vonage box....because they assign it a US number and it's considered vonage to vonage calls.... the vonage world unlimited plan for $50 is for unlimited calls to DR but you have to be a US or Puerto Rico resident to use it. I live in Canada and the plans here are $30 for unlimited calls to DR Landlines but not cells.