First-time DR Visitor - Do I really need onward travel ticket ?

Caribe

May 11, 2011
Hi.. do I really need to have a return ticket when entering DR ? I can get a 1-way ticket, now, for just 200 USD. I'd like to pay the return ticket later. I don't know exactly when I'd like to return home.

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
It depends on the airline I know you can do this with Spirit no problem. Other airlines like Jet Blue they made me purchase a return flight.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Immigration doesn't ask if you have a return ticket when you enter the country. As Reese said, it depends on the airline.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just cam on Sprint and was required to show my residency card. American made me do that too a few years ago. Sprint out of FLL was pretty strict. In fact with heightened security as the result of events in Pakistan, it is to be expected.

HB

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
you respond, "i am returning with another airline, jetspiritamericanvirgin, my confirmation code is qkfztfd", "on june 13", the airlines can't access each others computers...so screw you and your 50$ bag charge. you airlines had it coming.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
If asked for the return ticket you will have to provide proof - a ticket, printout or something. Once again this subject just keeps coming up.

There is a law that you must have a return ticket. The law binds the incoming airline and if they allow you in without a return ticket and their is an issue they are held liable. So SOME airlines are more diligent then others. YOU make the decision and you take the chance of getting stopped at the airport and being made to buy a return ticket on some airline at some price. Lots of stories out there, I got caught, I didn't get caught.......etc.

Your risk! Your choice!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
If asked for the return ticket you will have to provide proof - a ticket, printout or something. Once again this subject just keeps coming up.

There is a law that you must have a return ticket. The law binds the incoming airline and if they allow you in without a return ticket and their is an issue they are held liable. So SOME airlines are more diligent then others. YOU make the decision and you take the chance of getting stopped at the airport and being made to buy a return ticket on some airline at some price. Lots of stories out there, I got caught, I didn't get caught.......etc.

Your risk! Your choice!
Since he seems willing to drive in the Dr with a fugazy US driver's licence, I'm sure he'll risk trying to enter without a return ticket. He'll know if he makes it as soon as he checks in. Caribe' are there anyother rules you want to ignore?

egonvw

Jan 12, 2011
ragardless if you need a roundtrip ticket or not, the airlines will and the tsa will have a good look at you.
oneway tickets trigger a red alert.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
ragardless if you need a roundtrip ticket or not, the airlines will and the tsa will have a good look at you.
oneway tickets trigger a red alert.

I fly into the DR every 6-8 weeks without a return ticket and have never had trouble from anyone. I think one time the agent at AA asked if I lived in the DR and I just said yes. Didn't have to show any kind of proof.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Hi.. do I really need to have a return ticket when entering DR ? I can get a 1-way ticket, now, for just 200 USD. I'd like to pay the return ticket later. I don't know exactly when I'd like to return home.

I'm from the UK and I asked the Dominican Embassy here if I needed a return. I got an email saying "I didn't but for some reason best known to themselves some airlines demand it".

I think armed with this an airline would have a hard time insisting on a return.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
This may be coming up more often. We just returned to DR and were asked to prove we had residency or return ticket by AA.

But someone else on this site already offered an easy, simple solution. Just purchase the "great deal" ticket to get to the DR as a one-way. Then purchase a return ticket separately, but buy a fully refundable fare. Once in the DR, cancel the return ticket and get all your $$ back. Then, when you are sure of your return date, shop for another "great deal" one-way return ticket.

Any problems with the above plan that I didn't think of, other than being out some $$ for a week or so? That is cheaper than paying airline change penalties.