Black Women and Dominican Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambressence

May 6, 2011
After sharing my story about my romance as an American black woman with a Dominican man, I quickly learned (based on the flood of PMs and responses to my story) that many people feel that there are different circumstances that I should consider about my relationship because of my ethnicity.

As if we I don?t hear enough about black women in the States (yes?thank you Tyler Perry for depicting us as angry, tired and oppressed lol) I wanted to know how black women are perceived in the DR. Does anyone have any stories, successes, failures or experienced cultural differences?? Please share because some of the posters from my previous thread clearly seem to be Black women and Dominican men relationship experts (that was said playfully? but with the utmost sarcasm lol) I would really be interested in hearing from Dominican men!!!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I am not a Dominican man but I just asked the 2 Dominican men sitting here drinking coffee - their response - a gringa is a gringa is a gringa. They don't really care where you are from as long as it is not here.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I disagree, the majority of men here prefer white women, the whiter the better. My girl who is a wonderful dark colour hates her colour because she is do dark. She hates it because she thinks men don't find darker women as attractive. She goes as far as to straighten the frizz out of her hair when to me it makes her look very much less attractive.
All guys I know double check white women, infact they could be pig ugly and they'd still get more attention, and most dark women I know (possibly unaware of it) try to whiten themselves up.
We were having a meal the other weekend and I noticed that everyone who was coming in was white. I commented on this, saying it felt like Spanish night, the reaction was the rubbing of fingers, as if a sign of white people have more money.
It is an ignorant idea, but one that is felt here IME.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Anastacio you are absolutely correct when discussing Dominican women but it does not apply the same to foreigners. Whether she is black white or green she is a foreigner and that is all that matters.

What you refer to I have seen sooooo often here! But this thread cannot go off course into discussions of those issues or we will be shut down!!!! So lets not go there.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't think Dominican guys see black American women as different than white American women. Generally if the guys are darker they seem to prefer the lighter ones but not surprisingly the lighter ones seem to like the darker ones as well.

Any foreigner who wants to start a relationship with a Dominican regardless of color needs to be careful. For someone interested in a serious relationship I would recommend going out with someone of equivalent education level or a regular church going person.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
As far as I have experienced since 1974 when I first came to the DR DMV123 & Anastacio are exactly on point although since the turn of the century (2000 but it does sound odd) I have seen a slight change but it is like South Africa under aparthied where everyone had strict labels. But when Chinese investors started to come they punted and designated then honorary white people! While I do know one upper class Dominican Doctor who married a dark skin young lady in general those who are looking for a Gringa/o do not care about their physical appearance including color.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Bw-dm

The question itself doesn't make sense. Why ??

Millions of Dominican women are "Black". Millions of Dominican men are" Black".

They get together, marry, procreate, breakup, and relate just as other people do.

The question itself is nonsense.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
I disagree, the majority of men here prefer white women, the whiter the better. My girl who is a wonderful dark colour hates her colour because she is do dark. She hates it because she thinks men don't find darker women as attractive. She goes as far as to straighten the frizz out of her hair when to me it makes her look very much less attractive.
All guys I know double check white women, infact they could be pig ugly and they'd still get more attention, and most dark women I know (possibly unaware of it) try to whiten themselves up.
We were having a meal the other weekend and I noticed that everyone who was coming in was white. I commented on this, saying it felt like Spanish night, the reaction was the rubbing of fingers, as if a sign of white people have more money.
It is an ignorant idea, but one that is felt here IME.

Nonsense

CandaceL87

Mar 24, 2011
I recently was in PC on vacation with my female cousin, we are both Black and honestly, we both received PLENTY of attention from the men in the Dominican Rep. (Maybe a little too much attention! LoL) But, I dont think they really care either way!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Well, I am no expert, but I am black woman too (LOL), but I think it is pretty much the same everywhere: As anastacio said, the lighter, the better.

Having said that, Dominican men are mujeriegos and if you are fine regardless of your skin color, they will let you know :) Like Chip, i noticed that opposites attract and I get a lot more "me gusta tu color/piel" from the light skin ones.

This are based on my observations, both with Dominicans living in the US and while vacationing in the DR.

I think what MA was referring to (in the other thread) was for upper class Dominicans , which as been my observation too....

But, at the end of the day, if a guy is interested in a visa, you could be black with white dots, he wouldn't care.

Last edited:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010

Exactly what is nonsense. My experiences? my Dominican family and friends viewpoint? I don't understand what is nonsense. Are you telling me a natives opinion on this is not relevant? The people that the question was actually directed towards, is not relevant? haha, that's a bit silly isn't it!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
That is also true, if it is breathing and does not have a willy, a Dominican man will mate with it!

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I don't think they care either way either... I think a white woman is easier to spot as a foreigner. I think a white woman with blonde hair is the easiest over a white woman with dark hair, cause there are many dominicans who are just as light sometimes. But it all boils down to people LOVING the foreign women.. Money is the big thing..

If you come to visit here, you have money... They love that.

I do love the attention that I get being an American here, but sometimes it can be unbearable. It's fun, and definitely makes me feel good at times, but I realize at the end of the day... it's not that I am beautiful that gets me the attention, it's that I am foreign.

ambressence

May 6, 2011
The question itself doesn't make sense. Why ??

Millions of Dominican women are "Black". Millions of Dominican men are" Black".

They get together, marry, procreate, breakup, and relate just as other people do.

The question itself is nonsense.

But the question is asking about black americans...and do dominicans consider themselves black the way that American blacks do???? I don't think that they do, Im just posing a question, because clearly I don't have the answer!! lol

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I don't think they care either way either... I think a white woman is easier to spot as a foreigner. I think a white woman with blonde hair is the easiest over a white woman with dark hair, cause there are many dominicans who are just as light sometimes. But it all boils down to people LOVING the foreign women.. Money is the big thing..

If you come to visit here, you have money... They love that.

I do love the attention that I get being an American here, but sometimes it can be unbearable. It's fun, and definitely makes me feel good at times, but I realize at the end of the day... it's not that I am beautiful that gets me the attention, it's that I am foreign.

I agree, but they also LOVE women. So, although, we are not as easy to spot, does not mean we don't get the attention (so do their fellow good looking Dominicanas). I have spent some time in Puerto Rico, men don't need a visa, and it was no different than DR.

Also, for a lot of us, who have lived in latino,black or Carribean neighborhoods, we are used to men being vocal.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
do dominicans consider themselves black the way that American blacks do????

Black Americans are usually proud and vocal about how great it is to be black. I've heard black Dominicans be put down for their colour, even the use of the N word on occasion from whiter Doms who are a little dumb, and they accept it, bow their head and try to avoid the situation.
I think if you did that to a Black American, you'd have a whole different situation on your hands.
In America you have white kids who try to speak, walk and talk black (far enough more so boys than girls, but you still get them), even in London, because it is seen as a cool thing these days, be black, be gangsta!! You don't get that here, being black isn't cool if you're a woman, the men just confuse me.
But the men love to dress black, all the XXXXXL t-shirts, BBcaps, the swagger, but ask them if they would rather be black or white and they'll tell you white, ask them if they would like my hair and they'll tell you yes please.
I think class probably changes things a little, but as most are not upper class here, this is my thought on the majority of your everyday, person on the street.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
As far as I have experienced since 1974 when I first came to the DR DMV123 & Anastacio are exactly on point although since the turn of the century (2000 but it does sound odd) I have seen a slight change but it is like South Africa under aparthied where everyone had strict labels. But when Chinese investors started to come they punted and designated then honorary white people! While I do know one upper class Dominican Doctor who married a dark skin young lady in general those who are looking for a Gringa/o do not care about their physical appearance including color.

Good point, the other physical issues don't matter either! Black, white, fat, skinny, tall, short, old, young, ugly or butt ugly..........does not matter. What matter is gringa / gringo. It goes both ways!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
But the question is asking about black americans...and do dominicans consider themselves black the way that American blacks do???? I don't think that they do, Im just posing a question, because clearly I don't have the answer!! lol

They can't, because it is a different country, culture and history.

I am black, but I am not African-American. Although, there are many things I can relate with and understand about AA, there are also many I can't because I am not American. To tell you truth, I think any white american has more in common with an AA than I do.

Also, as you know, dominicans come in all colors, so I am not sure why they are supposed to consider themselves Black. To me, some are, some are not, most are in between :)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
At the risk of sounding cynical, the only color that matters to those who seek out foreign women is the color of their passport! If it is blue, for example - US, they think they have hit the jackpot.

Status
Not open for further replies.