Mr. Lu Needs Your Help!

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Greetings!!!

To old, and new friend alike, I hope you are well! I am back on DR1, if only for a limited time, with a specific reason I will outline below. Before that, just a few details. As most of you know, I magically disappeared of the face of the earth, and DR1, at the beginning of 2010, almost certainly never to be heard from again. No! I wasn't kidnapped by magic hobbits or angry Dominican mobsters. The truth is that I wanted a new challenge in life, so I bought a one way ticket to Panama, and backpacked through South America. My tour took me through Peru, Bolivia ending in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where Chapter II of my story begins.

While in Rio, I took time away from the beaches and babes to venture into Rio's notorious favelas. Beyond the glamor of Hollywood blockbusters, I found most of these communities to be made up of humble residents. In some cases, which blew my mind, the homes and installations in these communities were better than some I have seen in the US.

But as I spent more time in the favelas I was hit with the news that many of these communities are in danger. Because of the World Cup and Olympic preparations local government and private builders are using this as a carte blanche to "finally rid Rio de Janeiro of its slum problem." Though many Brazilians see it as time to clean up these major cities, it is the way that it's being done that is troublesome.

Communities are being bulldozed, and in some cases fires are being set as a way to push families out. Police forces are raiding communities daily, and the judicial system is being used as an instrument of gentrification and forced evictions. Recently, officials have started targeting single mothers, and the elderly, raiding homes at 3am, quietly forcing families out before the sun comes up.

Brazilian media is caught in the middle, either unable to or unwilling to report on the occurrences. The international media hasn't done any better, focusing on the sensationalism and glamorization of these communities, rather than the issues. And this is where I come in, and where you can help!

Four years working at DR1 gave me a great journalistic foundation, and I want to add to that covering a story of interest that few journalists or media outlets know about. I've pitched the story to a few outlets, but no bite, so I decided to go for it myself, and raise my own funds and get this documentary done the Mr. Lu way!

I have invested my own money into completing a documentary about the forced evictions, and I would appreciate any help the DR1 community could provide. I am trying to raise $6,000, which would cover airfare, equipment, housing and per diems, as I report on these events.

Supporters will be happy to know, that 15% of the money I raise will go to funding the Primeiros Passos (PP) program, in the favela of Rocinha. PP, through NGO Mundo Real, which I have been working with, provides medical support to the physically and mentally disabled in this community. Your support to this project will allow for PP to give residents basic medical supplies (bandages, medicines, etc.) equipment, transportation and medical attention from doctors.

Supporters will also receive a "Donor Package," detailed below:

$25 Supporters donating to this tier level will receive a personalized Thank You Note, as well as Documentary
Soundtrack, which will include all songs from the produced documentary.

$50 Supporters donating to this tier level will receive a personalized Thank You Note, and can choose to have
their names added on The Donor List. Supporters will also receive a copy of the DVD, which include bonus
material, and music.

$100 Supporters donating to this tier level will have their names included in the Video End Credits, and receive a
copy of the DVD. Supporters will also get a personalized Thank You Note and their names added to The Donor
List.

$250 Supporters donating to this tier level will receive Video End Credits and a copy of the DVD, two on-site Skype
calls, and their names added to The Donor List.

$500 Supporters donating to this tier level will receive Executive Producer Credits and a personalized screening of
the film (Available to those living in MA, CT and NY). Supporters to this tier will also receive a personalized
greeting on their copy of the DVD, a copy of the Documentary Soundtrack and their name will appear on the
Donor List

As I film my documentary, I will also run journalism workshops in these communities, as a way of leaving something behind once I leave.

I appreciate any help you can give. Constructive critiques would be appreciated, and pass this along to all your friends. If you have any questions you can click on The Rio Report. Here you can find more info and details about the project, and its goals. You can contact me through this posting, or through the website's contact page.

Thank you for the support!
Obrigado,

Mr. Lu

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Congratulations. This is a great thing to be doing. You are one cool guy...we miss you here!!

Good luck with this. But you did not say how or where to send money!!

HB

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Thanks every one! Sorry HB, I should have been clear. Those wishing to donate can go here: Donate

I'll be around all day, answering questions about the project, donations, the documentary and the NGO I have been working with.

Mr. Lu

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Good luck on your project. I have missed your posting and videos on DR1. Glad to hear about your new adventures.