transport for moving around Bavaro area

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Hi DR1 friends. Getting more info before I move definetely to Bavaro.
I was wondering, before I buy a passola or car when being in Bavaro, which are the options for moving around. I will be living in El Cortecito, so for going to Palma Real for a movie, Super Pola for food shopping, Friusa for some restaurants, etc, which are the best options and price?

Of course I know about motoconchos, but right now how much is a motoconcho for that kind of rides? (dominican price, I will not accept tourist price).

What about that local bus service? I never saw any of those while being there (only used the long distance ones). How much is the price of that local bus and which routes it does? Can I stop it anywhere in the main road?

Thanks friends for your info

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Sure Sky, thats what I will do when landing there and looking how much cash I have ... (not much :( )
Thats why I am asking about options and prices ...
About getting a passola or that kind of little tiny yamahas I have seen, anyone knows a good place to buy a cheap one? maybe in Higuey ...

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Local bus it is!!!!

You can jump on the local bus on the main drag in El Corticito "Blue"... amigo hangs out the side door... just flag him down....it makes all local stops all along the main road along the beach...40 pesos each way...Palma Real...San Juan Plaza at the Super Pola...no problem for starters til you have the pesos for motoconcho...and yes Higuey would be a better option for purchase of motoconcho....

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
As you mentioned, motoconchos are going to be your best mode of transport and cheapest. The motoconcho prices fluncuate and I do not think there is a set fee as you might find on the public bus. They will, normally, try to charge you gringo prices but they'll accept what they can get.

Just a point of reference, from Cortecito to Friusa or to Palma Real, you should be looking at no more than RD$50. If you feel like fighting, you can probably get less. I once got a ride from Cortecito to Macao Beach for RD$250. This is about a 40 min drive. My suggestion is to find a guy you trust, get his cell and call him when you need him. You will save yourself the hassle of having to haggle all the time.

Public buses come less frequently than a passing moto and the current cost is RD$35.

Other option: Go to Higuey and buy your own moto or make the investment for a car if this will be long term.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Use the bus until you can afford a car. With all due respect, only a fool would get on a motorcycle in this country.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Thank you guys for all that info. Some more questions about that info:

Is the blue bus frenquency a really looooooong and annoying one? or it is ok? If I save just 10 pesos taking bus instead of motoconcho but have to wait for long time for the bus, maybe not worthy ...

About being a fool using a motorcycle, well, I have been many times in Bavaro area and I dont think they have such a dangerous, crazy traffic, in fact it is just the main road going along the whole bavaro coast. For example in Higuey I have really noticed there that traffic is really crazy and a bit dangerous, so comparing it, Bavaro traffic (not including Friusa), looks a quiet one ...

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
You are more than welcome to take the risk. Personally, I wouldn't. I've lived in Bavaro 2 years now and I've seen enough bloody and bent people on the side of the road to warn me off of motorcycles.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
mmmmmmm, taking your advice into consideration insanelyone, that means also forgetting about getting motoconchos services too ... :(
Same danger as if as drive myself the motorcycle ...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I can see you are trying to move there and exist without wheels for a while, and maybe even exist without wheels but don't want to admit it to yourself, lol. It is easy to think you can get away with it. Yes the busses run, no consistent timing that I noticed while living there, a real pain in the ass to be honest.
If you consider before anything else, before rent, deposits, party money, anything, think Scooter RD$10,000. Without this instantly you will really put the dampners on your time there. Corticito is fine, but being stuch there would drive anyone with a pulse insane. Seriously, think RD$10,000 before anything else at all.

Feb 7, 2007
Anastacio, 10.000 for a scooter seems bit on the very low side ... i don't know how much they are in Bavaro, but new scooters in Giguey go from 30k (very small scooters) and above. The big 150cc scooters (fine for hauling a small cargo load) are about 70k now... I bought one new at 50k pesos 4 years ago, and since then, they have only gone up.... i don't think you can even get a used one in bad conditions for that amount of money (not in Bavaro, that is).

stephrossi

Feb 3, 2011
Currently looking for a pasola of my own, I can tell you that they are not that easy to find in Bavaro. Enven the small 90cc used models go for $RD 15 000 and there are not that many!

In regards to the bus, I always plan on taking it but 9/10, comes a motoconcho... and the $RD 10 saving doesn't make it worth the wait...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Anastacio, 10.000 for a scooter seems bit on the very low side ... i don't know how much they are in Bavaro, but new scooters in Giguey go from 30k (very small scooters) and above. The big 150cc scooters (fine for hauling a small cargo load) are about 70k now... I bought one new at 50k pesos 4 years ago, and since then, they have only gone up.... i don't think you can even get a used one in bad conditions for that amount of money (not in Bavaro, that is).

If money is a matter then sure you can pick up a knock around job for RD$10,000, new? who buys new if they are on a budget? You need to speak with some of the local workers and they will wet you up with something to get you around. Obviously you get what you pay for so don't expect anything respectable, but something to go A to B.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011

TRy this link i found you can get a better idea of costs...Scooters and Motorcycles CG-150 Super Gato in Higuey, Dominican Republic. For sale. - Hig?ey - Motos - motore de higuey

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Good info guys, what about what someone here says, that it is really really dangerous use a motorbike there ....
Hey Steph! how is it going there? ;)

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Motorbikes of any kind are only as dangerous as the people riding them. If you drive like an idiot, are not as aware of what is going on behind you as much as infront of you (yes people are as likely to drive into the back of you as into the front of you) then expect a trip back in a box. The roads around Bavaro are fine, but are often cut across, even in slightly narrower sections, so stay well over to your side, be sure your lights and indicators are always working. I always hand signal as well as use the bikes signals, just to be sure everyone knows what I'm intending to do. Watch for the speed bumps, they are dangerous at speed on a small bike.
Bavaro isn't dangerous to ride a bike, fr from it, is good fun if you know how!

UmSulaiman

Apr 19, 2011
Insanelyone, where'd you buy your car? I am moving to Bavaro next week and last week I looked in SD and PC and the prices were rediculous! I can't buy a moto bc I have a 6yr old and I know it'll be too dangerous...