Advice for Solo Female Traveler

pbcc33

May 19, 2011
I am going to stay Santo Domingo for a few months in the summer. I am a female and will be traveling solo. I plan on traveling to some beach areas when I can but my home base will be in Santo Domingo. I like to live as the locals do when I travel. I will have a small apartment in Santo Domingo.

I am looking for recommendations/advice on a few things. Aside from the obvious like not going out alone at night, being careful with taxis, not taking drinks from strangers, and not dressing provocatively, I am a bit nervous about being a woman and alone in the DR.

I obviously hope to make some friends while I am there, but I am also planning for doing my own thing. Coming from the US, I think it is more acceptable for a woman to do things on her own than in some parts of the world. I am not familiar with Dominican culture in this area.

Is it not seen an appropriate for a woman to go to the movies by herself in Santo Domingo? Will I be harassed?

I plan on doing a lot of walking when touring the city. What is the absolute latest hour that I can actually be out on my own walking before it is unsafe?

Are there certain areas where I should not walk on my own? (I am going to be in the Zona Colonial).

I am also a runner. Is there an area in Santo Domingo that is known as the place to run?

Any recommendations on super markets, gyms, and places to get laundry done near the Zona Colonial?

Thank you.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Movies are no problem.. you will not be bothered

Most Dominicans .. male or female.. do not do much by themselves. So you will most likely be looked at as bit of strange duck....

Many folks run on the Malecon EARLY in the AM and at dusk

You will know the areas where you cannot walk by the vibe that you get.. even in the day time

Note also that the DR in not like Mexico, where if you dance with a guy in public you have essentially said yes to spending the night with him... BUT it is a good idea perhaps not to dance with a Dominican Twice....

Do not know the Zona well enough to give you other ideas.. your landlord or folks where you work or study will be able to do that.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Let us know when you arrive, I'm sure some people from here would be willing to meet up and have a chat!

Your limit of walking alone depends on the area. In la zona, I wouldn't be out ALONE past 9-10.

Consider the fact that when its dark, and there are not alot of ppl around, its more "dangerous" then when its dark and busy. Even in a good neighborhood.

I do hope you make friends quickly :) You will enjoy yourself much better, and get that "living like the locals" feel.

On that note, where are you from in the USA? Living like the locals might mean living like you are now :)

Gyms: I hear there are like... "hardcore" gyms in that area... just like weights and such. I don't know what you need in a gym.

SuperMarket: La Cadena is in Gazcue, just outside the area, it has everything, I used to live around the corner.

Laundry: This will be tricky, they don't have "laundry mats" here, there are like... dry cleaners that wash though.

Hope this helps... a bit :)

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Solo female traveler

-"live like locals"
-"planning for doing my own thing"
-"nervous about be a woman and alone in the DR" - of course with the perfunctory inquiry into male/female behavior and social cues.

This all adds up to one thing and one thing only: pbc33 will be writing us back about the "wonderful" guy/guys she met and if the relationship/s are "real".

Another Sankie story coming soon.

Just admit it pbcc 33. You know why you really come down here for and so do we.... and no, we don't judge.

The only thing more transparent than the single male traveler coming to the DR is the single female traveler.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Just admit it pbcc 33. You know why you really come down here for and so do we.... and no, we don't judge.

WHHHHYYYY? Why would you say this? Why does this enter your head? Have you lost faith in humanity?

Where is your sarcastic emoticon after you comment about judging? We all feel it miles away.

Be nice.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Please Come,AND,Enloy The Experience!

If you want to come have dinner with a "Non-Typical" Dominican/American family,send me a "PM" when you get here. My sister-in-law,who lives with us is about "30".She is a Dominican,who has a good job,a car,goes to a gym 3 or 4 times a week,speaks "English",goes to Clubs on the weekend,has a lot of friends,and is single.You can talk to here about "Life" in the DR/Santo Domingo.

Cris Colon

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Simple rules for the Zona Colonial, when the politur go home, if you are alone, you go home.
Running, Malecon.
Cinema, no problem, you will be fine.
Don't start wandering around the city aimlessly, find a point of destination and make a plan to get there. You can't walk far in the city without walking through a bad area or 2 along the way. Get a map, look at it before you set off, make a mental point of your general direction and go. Don't pull out your map outside of the Zona, you will be an instant target, head into a cafe or internet cafe or something to have a look. Personally I think your walking around the city will be done after your first trip out, but figure for yourself.
Forget living like the locals do, you can't, you are not local so trying to be like them is not possible, it takes years of stupidity to get that right, ;) but in all seriousness don't bother even trying.
have fun!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Saw That You Were "On Line",Sooooooooooooooooo,

Ikept it to 4 sets.All used "correctly", I might add!:confused:

PLUS, it is one of my very few "nice" posts!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pbcc33

May 19, 2011
-"live like locals"
-"planning for doing my own thing"
-"nervous about be a woman and alone in the DR" - of course with the perfunctory inquiry into male/female behavior and social cues.

This all adds up to one thing and one thing only: pbc33 will be writing us back about the "wonderful" guy/guys she met and if the relationship/s are "real".

Another Sankie story coming soon.

The only thing more transparent than the single male traveler coming to the DR is the single female traveler.

Kdolo, only someone who is sleezy like you would respond in that manner. It?s creeps like you that I want to avoid while in the DR. You don't even know anything about me or why I am traveling there or if I am married, in a relationship, or single.

It's really sad when grown people act so juvenile. Worse yet, you don't even know that you don't even know.

So sad.

pbcc33

May 19, 2011
Let us know when you arrive, I'm sure some people from here would be willing to meet up and have a chat!

Your limit of walking alone depends on the area. In la zona, I wouldn't be out ALONE past 9-10.

Consider the fact that when its dark, and there are not alot of ppl around, its more "dangerous" then when its dark and busy. Even in a good neighborhood.

I do hope you make friends quickly :) You will enjoy yourself much better, and get that "living like the locals" feel.

On that note, where are you from in the USA? Living like the locals might mean living like you are now :)

Gyms: I hear there are like... "hardcore" gyms in that area... just like weights and such. I don't know what you need in a gym.

SuperMarket: La Cadena is in Gazcue, just outside the area, it has everything, I used to live around the corner.

Laundry: This will be tricky, they don't have "laundry mats" here, there are like... dry cleaners that wash though.

Hope this helps... a bit :)

Thank you Everything Jeff.

pbcc33

May 19, 2011
Simple rules for the Zona Colonial, when the politur go home, if you are alone, you go home.
Running, Malecon.
Cinema, no problem, you will be fine.
Don't start wandering around the city aimlessly, find a point of destination and make a plan to get there. You can't walk far in the city without walking through a bad area or 2 along the way. Get a map, look at it before you set off, make a mental point of your general direction and go. Don't pull out your map outside of the Zona, you will be an instant target, head into a cafe or internet cafe or something to have a look. Personally I think your walking around the city will be done after your first trip out, but figure for yourself.
Forget living like the locals do, you can't, you are not local so trying to be like them is not possible, it takes years of stupidity to get that right, ;) but in all seriousness don't bother even trying.
have fun!

Good advice Anastacio, thank you. I will take it all under consideration.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I think you will be OK doing things you do on a regular basis, just don't trust people you don't know. Some of them will try to do favors for you, give you "tours", take you shopping "for free", and then charge you afterwards. So, do your own research on what to see, buy, and where, for the best prices, join an organized tour if you want to.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Get a cell phone.. and always have $250 pesos stashed for a new phone card and the call to APOLO taxi.. 809 537 0000

then you can duck into the nearest colmado and buy minutes if you are out and get a ride home should you be out too late.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Great advice, I always have a 200 or 500 peso note stuck inside my clothes somewhere. you never know when you will need it. Preprogram a good taxi service number onto your cell phone.

Gyms - make sure to find a good quality gym - one issue female expats have is being hit on while trying to work out by gym rats. It makes it very hard to get a good workout done.

The Colonial Zone is a very safe area - lots of activity and lots of police around most of the time. Often there are great activities on the weekend. Shopping is right at hand as well for pretty much everything you may need. Lots of restaurants and bars nearby as well.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Some of y'all gonna have the "crazy" face if kdolo turns out to be right.
I'm just saying, I'm no bruja but my initial thought was the same. I'm not saying one way or another, I'm just saying what my initial thought was at first reading of the post so give him a break.

SHALENA