Jarabacoa, shopping, what you got?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I've been going over some youtube clips of Jarabacoa and it looks like a ghost town. Is this an accurate description?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I mean, I just had an onboard ride through the streets of Jarabacoa with the help of a few youtubers and the place looks like there is absolutely nothing at all going on. Food shopping, clothes, banks, phone/internet companies, etc etc etc. Just the usual things a town needs to be efficient for its residents. My cousin is into his climbing, Kayaking and outdoor stuff so I've recommended he base himself up there, but boy he needs other factors other than rivers and hills. I've a feeling I might be in the dog house for this. Where as while researching on reviews and such about it, generally from what I've heard I got the feeling it had a few bars, colmados, shops and all the things I've mentioned above.
I hope the youtube coverage is way off mark.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Why don't you go and check it out. It's a RD$380 Metro bus ride from Santo Domingo.

Buy Cobraboy lunch, I'm sure he will show you around.
10 mins with him, will be worth 10 years looking online trying to workout if it's good, bad or indifferent.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Why don't you go and check it out. It's a RD$380 Metro bus ride from Santo Domingo.

Buy Cobraboy lunch, I'm sure he will show you around.
10 mins with him, will be worth 10 years looking online trying to workout if it's good, bad or indifferent.

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
Food shopping? he should hit "supermercado Jarabacoa" in the town's entrance near the cemetery...Bars: "el viejo Jack" and "Venue" (like a 30 second distance from the cemetery, i know, weird, lol) ...ohhh i think u should recommend him to do paragliding at "Jamaca de Dios", that's the new "it" thing there..

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
What do you want ?

Basically you will find all you need. Meat I always buy at the butcher "Carneceria Jarabacoa" in Hierba Buena before the bridge or opposite from la Pizzeria "Pepperoni". Sometimes you have to tell them how you want your cuts. They don't know much about ribs or filet medaillons. If you know more or less what to do with the meat it should be no problem and if you can't make yourself clear because of lacking spanish-...bummer-go back to your room and practice !
Veggies and fruits can be found all at the local market in the Calle Nelson Galan. It is worth looking around because size of certain items might differ. For instance if you are looking for big barbecue potatoes there is a guy selling huge monsters (you just imagine the sour cream dip on top of them right away) just next to the the right entrance or the smaller tomatoes (barcelo) are much tastier.. etc., etc.
Everything else in vegetables, herbs and fruits I always find close to the left entrance. Gringos and locals pay the same price. Meat as mentioned before I would get in other places. Sometimes you get good deals for animal food at the market butchers. Go and ask for "pitrafo". Once cooked it should be okay for your kitties and doggies.

Okay there is an issue called bread but since a year or so french and portugese styled bread loafs are sold at "La Fleca". I've been told it is portioned and frozen industrial material coming from the capital and just baked up in Jarabacoa. Still superior over everything else that is called bread in Jarabacoa.

Most other stuff is available in the local supermarkets but if you need big quantities or can't cook and you need processed food you can always go down to La Sirena in La Vega or drive to Santiago. Better prices in wine and real butter like "Presidente" or that irish stuff, creme fraiche, or even frutier marmelade like "Old Style" are also always an pro argument to go shopping in the Cibao Valley. Not to mention the cute factor of supermarket staff in these regions. As a contrary there is always for some reason a fire spitting old dragon in the supermarket Jarabacoa at the check-out scaring the hell out of me. She is mean and loves to hack wrong numbers in the cash register because they still don't use a scan system. Just the opposite to the rest of the town she is a shark out of water and would never say sorry if catched overcharging a customer. In her best shark way she simply starts to snap. I imagined her many times with blood running from her mouth. Preferably the blood of a gringo customer.

The good stuff is not flying into your mouth here but it is worth making it work/fly for you.

Last edited:

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
Ohh my, that video is wack!! he didn't show nothing but a few streets and locations, not even 1/4 of what Jarabacoa has to offer.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
That video is stupid.
Just go up there and find out for yourself whats up in Jarabacoa and look at the bright side...you can ride an R1 there AND go to town on horse :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Jarabacoa is a small Dominican town so don't expect even a decent department store like La Sirena. That being said it is a tourist town and therefore has some things most Dominican towns don't have and that is a good bakery and restaurants and limited gringo goods at the super. Still, there is a La Sirena in La Vega to get all your gringo fixes.

What you can't beat in Jarabacoa is it is more than likely the cleanest town in the DR and very scenic with lots of outdoor activities for those so inclined. Throw in relatively cool summer nights and almost for most chilly winters and you have a gringo's paradise. :)

As far as it being a "ghost town" that only happens in the US and Europe. Expect plenty of Dominicans to be out and about socializing in any town here.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I mean, I just had an onboard ride through the streets of Jarabacoa with the help of a few youtubers and the place looks like there is absolutely nothing at all going on. Food shopping, clothes, banks, phone/internet companies, etc etc etc. Just the usual things a town needs to be efficient for its residents. My cousin is into his climbing, Kayaking and outdoor stuff so I've recommended he base himself up there, but boy he needs other factors other than rivers and hills. I've a feeling I might be in the dog house for this. Where as while researching on reviews and such about it, generally from what I've heard I got the feeling it had a few bars, colmados, shops and all the things I've mentioned above.
I hope the youtube coverage is way off mark.
You've been told totally incorrectly.

Jarabacoa has about anything you want. By Dominican standards, it's one of the most affluent towns in the country. And I know fewer towns with more raw beauty.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
With the literally hundreds of video's on Jarabacoa, Anasty picks one of the worse. Yes Jarabacoa is a small town, but overall the shopping is not too bad. There is a good selection of wines and other spirits if that's your hobby. Food ( fruit & veggies) is easy to come by and meat is easy to obtain. There is enough restaurants available for the average person. It can be very quiet on a Sunday but so what. I find Jarabacoa relaxing most of the time but the traffic can actually be quite bad at times. It is a great place for children.
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tc9JJfEgEag?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tc9JJfEgEag?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>