Independent Contractor

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
I have a friend here in thr DR. who wants to do some driving for me on an ongoing basis. I think he might want to do this as his only source of income. Do I have to draft some kind of agreement that he is indeed an independent contractor, so I will not be held accountable for taxes, social security, and health benefits? If so, how would I go about securing this document?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
This will only work if he has multiple clients and can show that he is in fact an independant chofer. If you are his sole client, the Labor Board will deem him your employee. No written agreement can usurp the Labor Code. Everything can be great until it comes time for the two of you to part ways. At that point if he puts in a claim with the Labor Board for past-due benefits and liquidation, you are fried.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
I would not do this because I have done it even with family members and it always goes bad. If you want to support him go ahead but do not get locked into an employment arrangement. If you insist make sure that he has a real drivers license and make a copy along with his cedulla. Always know the mileage as it is a custom for a driver to use the car on private errands or to show off even if you forbid it. It is like telling a cook they cannot sample.

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
Yes, I think you may be correct. He asked me to use my car to go home and change clothes ( 10min. away) He came back about three hous later and spoke about the traffic, however, after drinking too much beer, he slipped and mention he had stopped to see some people that are friends of ours and had driven half the tank of gas to boot! Guess it's a bad idea using him!