Cedula for Customs

bluenose

Dec 31, 2007
Wondering if it is permissible to use a friends cedula # for the purpose of bringing my personal goods into the Dom. Rep. My papers have been held up for notarization for my residency and my shipment has arrived in Santo Domingo.

OR will I be stuck paying the custom taxes?

In the beginning my lawyer advised she could give me a "stamp" showing I had applied for my residency, but then this issue came up with my documents and it seems to be at a stand still. I started this application in October, 2010.

Any input would be appreciated.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
When we moved, all we had to provide to the DR customs is a letter from the immigration which stated that we applied for residency. Did you get this receipt from the immigration when you turned in your documents? It shows your case # and that's should be enough for the DGI (customs)

The Hun

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
YOur lawyer should be able to provide you with a stamped document that you residency is in progress and that should do the trick. However you are now over the 6 month limit and that may cause a problem.
Using a friends cedula will not work and it is not the cedula that is required but the residency card.

Bob K

bluenose

Dec 31, 2007
Thank you both for your information.
The only thing I have is a receipt from my Lawyer for the fee I paid her, and also states it is for residency application.
I have understood her to keep saying that all I need is this "stamp" letter but she has not provided me with one, nor did I get one at immigration, as she had all of my documents when we went to immigration and I just followed her while she presented them.

bluenose

Dec 31, 2007
Bob - I probably did read the time limit of 6 months, however I had been holding off shipping my goods until I got this residency card, and unfortunately they have been in storage in Canada since Sept., which is costing me money, so I wanted to get them out of there and thus started the shipping process. Hopefully I can get through with them - however I know we are in the D.R. - and expect anything......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Why don't you check on the 6 month rule?

My impression is that it will be from date if issue..... maybe not date of application.

You might squeeze inbetween the two time frames.... I have no idea how deliberate they are about 'date checking'

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
For is it was date of application. We actually had our card already and they used the original date of application. We made it by 2 days and they commented on how lucky we were.
So yes they are very deliberate on dates but check with your lawyer as which date they currently are using. We did ours 4+ years ago.

Bob K

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Amazing story Bob..... also amazing how lax Dominicanos can be in some situations and so strict in others.

Imagine... From the date of application!!
What if you are refused??

If I recall, we got our cards in mid 2008 and entered in late Jan-early Feb 2009.... clearly more than 6 months.

I made application in early January 2008.... so would be carded in June/July or so.
I renewed on June 4, 2010 so the Temporary must have been around that time in 2008.

You just never know.....