After how much you need for living ... now ... how much you can earn in Bavaro! ;)

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Yeah, big question. I know it is not easy one as there are so different kind of jobs and companies where you can work, but lets fit a bit it all to try to get some replies and good numbers.

We could give different examples as, salary of a:

hotel workers: reception ones, administrative ones, logistics ones
private company workers: administrative ones (office tasks)
bars, restaurants workers: waiters, cookers, etc

I will start working as freelancer at home with my computer having already some clients, but I would like to get a job in any office doing administrative tasks, computer ones, or logistics, at any private company or hotel.

Is it real that Europeans are better paid than Dominicans? How much would be a salary for an European doing administrative tasks, full skills of computing (Office, Windows, etc), many years of experience and Spanish, English and Catalan speaker? (you can say an average salary)

I know this post could go to Employment section, but I think it is more useful to post it just in this section as it is about work in Bavaro area.

Thanks again!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
About the only way non-employer Europeans make more money in Bavaro as a direct result of their European-ness is in the brothels.

As an employer, I'm looking for someone who can effectively get the work done and communicate with my clients. Unless you work as a translator for some obscure language (English, French, German, Italian and increasingly "Russian" are widely spoken in the touristy areas, and there's not much need for someone who speaks Catalan), or have a unique skill set, then I'm not sure why a motivated, well-trained European admin person would be superior to a motivated, well-trained Dominican admin person.

Maybe you can explain. Preferably in English.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
DRob, as you can read in my post, I never said an European admin would be superior to a Dominican admin. Read again.
I just asked if it is true that Europeans are better paid than Dominicans.
And I ask that obviously because that fact has come to me from different people. So I am curious about it. That's it.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Ruben,

My point was that there's no reason to give a European superior pay solely as a result of his European-ness, especially if there's a Dominican (or other person) able to do just as well. Don't know where you heard it from, but other than the examples I provided, ya heard wrong.

Pelaut, LMAO.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
One example came to my mind. I saw an advertisement about employment there in DR. Cannot remember exactly the job, but I remember it was medium-high level job.
One of the requirements in the long list was "having a perfect ortography writting". That requirement in Europe would be a joke, as it is already taken for granted that if you apply for a mid-high level position, your writting is perfect.
In Barcelona, in High School, at least in mine, if you did just TWO ortography mistakes in any term exam (science, maths, literature, any) you did not pass the exam even having a 100% right answers. No way, no High School promotion. A big ZERO in your exam. And I have seen emails from dominican university graduates (different jobs) making many mistakes ...
I am not telling that Europeans are better trained or taught than Dominicans, but maybe there is some feeling about it in some people or business men who then pay more to Europeans because they prefer them.
My gf told me that there are some Spanish hotels in PC they dont hire dominicans or at least try their best to hire just Spanish people.
When being there I will see with my own eyes how things are there! Cheers!

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Maybe the opposite of what you are thinking.

I know that a lot of employers, including myself, would never hire a foreigner. Foreigners have the reputation of unreliability and having unrealistic expectations of their new life in "paradise". Some foreigners motivations for living in the DR may be relationship related and when the relationship sours, they may suddenly flee the country leaving the employer with little notice (and sometimes taking some nice items from work with them). Other foreigners may move for the "Caribbean Lifestyle" that they envision but when the reality of living in the DR with the daily trials and tribulations commence, they may decide to suddenly leave, once again wasted time and resources for the employer. So, don't plan on the fact that you are a foreigner to be a big advantage because it may be a big disadvantage.

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
Yeah, big question. I know it is not easy one as there are so different kind of jobs and companies where you can work, but lets fit a bit it all to try to get some replies and good numbers.

We could give different examples as, salary of a:

hotel workers: reception ones, administrative ones, logistics ones
private company workers: administrative ones (office tasks)
bars, restaurants workers: waiters, cookers, etc

I will start working as freelancer at home with my computer having already some clients, but I would like to get a job in any office doing administrative tasks, computer ones, or logistics, at any private company or hotel.

Is it real that Europeans are better paid than Dominicans? How much would be a salary for an European doing administrative tasks, full skills of computing (Office, Windows, etc), many years of experience and Spanish, English and Catalan speaker? (you can say an average salary)

I know this post could go to Employment section, but I think it is more useful to post it just in this section as it is about work in Bavaro area.

Thanks again!

Unless you have connections in Bavaro you are going to have to be willing to work doing what ever for next to nothing. You do not get paid based on your nationality, and some places will hire a local for a more high paying position before they will hire a foreigner even if you are more qualified. Forget everything you have learned in your country about the process of job seeking it is going to be waaaaaay different here. Most hotel workers do not make over a couple hundred dollars a month sure management makes more but again a position like that will be all about who you know not what you know.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I think you had better make yourself a little bit clearer. Are you European? Your English is not too good according to what you posted. If you speak a few languages - that would be a very good thing. I don't think you need concern yourself about other employees salaries - unless that is you feel so special that you feel you would want to negotiate with a particular employer.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Many, many people have posted these questions throughout the board. If you really feel it necessary to move to the Dominican Republic and you are looking for work, you have to be here. Your best chances of finding a job is by networking and meeting people. This is a long process and it takes time.

It makes no difference if you are a foreigner and your opportunities in Punta Cana/Bavaro are MUCH slimmer than Santo Domingo, for instance. It is not easy to find work in the resorts. And assuming you are looking at more managerial positions; these are extremely hard to come by. Punta Cana/Bavaro is a small world where most people know each other; and that's the key: people knowing who you are.

From reading the OP's posts lately, it looks like there is serious intent on a move to Bavaro. I don't know all the background information but just a word to the wise: Visit the area and stay a good while before selling the farm. Bavaro can be a great place to live but there are sore realities to living here, as with anywhere in the Dominican Republic.

What are those realities? You'll find out for yourself when you stick around for a bit. Then, you can make an educated decision of whether to stay or not...

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Hey people, I was just asking! asking! I dont mean what I ask is true. That's why I ask to know a bit of it.
I already know that getting a job in Bavaro or DR in general is not an easy thing ...

And Jeb321, I know my English is not the best one, and yes, I am European, what it does not mean my mother tongue has to be English. At least being able to speak English and being Spanish my mother tongue, it is better for finding a job than being and UK, Canadian or USA expat with a perfect English but no Spanish skills at all ...

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
I know that a lot of employers, including myself, would never hire a foreigner. Foreigners have the reputation of unreliability and having unrealistic expectations of their new life in "paradise". Some foreigners motivations for living in the DR may be relationship related and when the relationship sours, they may suddenly flee the country leaving the employer with little notice (and sometimes taking some nice items from work with them). Other foreigners may move for the "Caribbean Lifestyle" that they envision but when the reality of living in the DR with the daily trials and tribulations commence, they may decide to suddenly leave, once again wasted time and resources for the employer. So, don't plan on the fact that you are a foreigner to be a big advantage because it may be a big disadvantage.

Well, I think that judging all foreigners or European in a general way it is quite unfair. You cannot judge the whole due to some experiences with some.
I have been in DR many times and met many people, dominicans, expats, etc. I was keeping for myself what some expats were telling me about dominican workers, because it would be unfair making that judgement for the whole of them. Without entering in deep details of what they told me, I just can tell you that the feedback they gave me was not a very good one.
And about what you said "taking some nice items from work" ... well, what to say, looks like now europeans are thieves and dominicans are angels ... My gf is dominican, enough good resource to know what dominicans also "do there" in their work places ... Let's not be unfair ...

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Well, this was a post to just have some info about an average salary that can be reached working in Bavaro, depending on what kind of job you get.
I dont want this to become a poll of who works better or who is more honest. That was not and is not the goal of this post.
Cheers everybody.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Just being practical.

Well, I think that judging all foreigners or European in a general way it is quite unfair. You cannot judge the whole due to some experiences with some.
I have been in DR many times and met many people, dominicans, expats, etc. I was keeping for myself what some expats were telling me about dominican workers, because it would be unfair making that judgement for the whole of them. Without entering in deep details of what they told me, I just can tell you that the feedback they gave me was not a very good one.
And about what you said "taking some nice items from work" ... well, what to say, looks like now europeans are thieves and dominicans are angels ... My gf is dominican, enough good resource to know what dominicans also "do there" in their work places ... Let's not be unfair ...

Actually, I believe the cultural traits of foreigners in general make them less likely to steal than Dominicans. However, the foreigner has the ability to leave the country in a flash, whereas the average dominican does not. Also, very few foreigners move to the DR for the economic opportunities but rather to fulfill some dream or fantasy, whether it be love/lust or Jimmy Buffett idealized Caribbean island life. Thus when the reality sets in, as it always does, the foreigner has the option, and in most cases the tendency, to flee the country whereas the typical dominican does not have this option. So, as an employer, with the skill set being equal for arguments sake, why would you choose the risk of a foreigner over the dominican?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
RUBEN,Your "ENGLISH" Is Just Fine!!!

AND, I'm sure better than the "SPANISH" of most of the posters on DR1!

I think you may be able to find a low paying,introductory level,job at a hotel/resort in Barbaro.
Many of the hotels are Spanish owned,or managed.If you are still in Spain,start looking with the companies at their offices there.If you are in the DR,get your resume up to date,and start visiting the hotels.

Cris Colon

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
AND, I'm sure better than the "SPANISH" of most of the posters on DR1!

I think you may be able to find a low paying,introductory level,job at a hotel/resort in Barbaro.
Many of the hotels are Spanish owned,or managed.If you are still in Spain,start looking with the companies at their offices there.If you are in the DR,get your resume up to date,and start visiting the hotels.

Cris Colon

Hey Cris! what an honour! A reply from one of the legends of DR1 forum! ;)
Thanks for your advise. For sure I dont expect a huge salary, nor European one, I just dream of having a decent job with a decent salary just to have a normal living there in Bavaro.
I will start applying to all hotels from Spain but first of all I will have to check if I can work as freelancer for my current company from DR at home. If I get that, then a good quality of life there in Bavaro will be reached! Let's cross fingers!

And thanks for that comment about my English level and the most probable Spanish level of some folks here ... appreciate it! ;) There are many people that laught at others who does not have a correct, perfect English, without noticing that most of them just speak English, no other languages and just because it is their mother tongue ...

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Hey Cris! what an honour! A reply from one of the legends of DR1 forum! ;)
Thanks for your advise. For sure I dont expect a huge salary, nor European one, I just dream of having a decent job with a decent salary just to have a normal living there in Bavaro.
I will start applying to all hotels from Spain but first of all I will have to check if I can work as freelancer for my current company from DR at home. If I get that, then a good quality of life there in Bavaro will be reached! Let's cross fingers!

And thanks for that comment about my English level and the most probable Spanish level of some folks here ... appreciate it! ;) There are many people that laught at others who does not have a correct, perfect English, without noticing that most of them just speak English, no other languages and just because it is their mother tongue ...

Ruben,

Again, be careful here. Criss is right in that you might be able to find a low-paying job if you start the search in DR, but understand that low-paying is NOT the same in DR than in Spain. A few hundred bucks a month, maybe. I know you really want to hear that all will be well and paradise is a plane ride away, but that's simply not the case. Planning is required here, lest you get really poor really fast, and nothing is worse than being broke in a third world country.

Naturally, if you can get hired on the Spanish side, at Spanish salary rates, that would be wonderful. Fairly uncommon, but wonderful.