Wal-Mart Senior Greeter

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
WAL-MART SENIOR GREETER

You just have to appreciate this one. Young people forget that we old people had a career before we retired......

Charley, a new retiree-greeter at Wal-Mart, just couldn't seem to get to work on time. Every day he was 5, 10, 15 minutes late. But he was a good worker, really tidy, clean-shaven, sharp-minded and a real credit to the company and obviously demonstrating their "Older Person Friendly" policies.

One day the boss called him into the office for a talk.

"Charley, I have to tell you, I like your work ethic, you do a bang-up job when you finally get here; but your being late so often is quite bothersome."

"Yes, I know boss, and I am working on it."

"Well good, you are a team player. That's what I like to hear.

?Yes sir, I understand your concern and I?ll try harder.

Seeming puzzled, the manager went on to comment, It's odd though your coming in late. I know you're retired from the Armed Forces. What did they say to you there if you showed up in the morning so late and so often?"

The old man looked down at the floor, then smiled.

He chuckled quietly, then said with a grin, "They usually saluted and said, Good morning, Admiral, can I get your coffee, sir??

One of my favorite stories, ever!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Seriously, I intend to be a Wal Mart greeter in my geezerhood if I ever have to go back to the states. What an excellent retirement job! Getting to smile and say "hello, welcome, what a beautiful baby" to people all day!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
However, with an Admiral's retirement package, i cannot imagine one of them being a Wal Mart greeter unless something was really screwed up or unless he wanted to do the job for something to do....

Hb (but I smiled at that tag line!!)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Lots of retirees work just to get out of the house. I remember my father just shook his head when his brother took a job at Publix in Lake Worth - bagging and helping people to their car with groceries - after retiring to Florida with plenty of money.

He was bored.

And his wife was a yacker.

AE

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Lots of retirees work just to get out of the house. I remember my father just shook his head when his brother took a job at Publix in Lake Worth - bagging and helping people to their car with groceries - after retiring to Florida with plenty of money.

He was bored.

And his wife was a yacker.

AE
MOM CB does all sorts of work @ 85 to have something to do.

REAL retirement kills people. Work and family (redundant?) gives life some meaning.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, I can understand that. I have been "retired" for over 10 years...and still do the same thing--teach--as i used to plus two or three other things, every day....more to life than sitting on the couch...and it's more fun...

I can certainly understand it. And I love that tag line...

HB

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Agreed! I've been "retired" for fifteen years, but that doesn't mean a thing. The things I do here in the DR give meaning to my life, make a difference for others and bring me joy.