Movie Max Rant

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Ok so I am getting pretty damn spoiled here in SD what with the colmado and the pharmacy at my beck and call.. so why not MOVIE MAX? which is BTW only about four blocks from my house but never seems to be open when I am out and about...

ok.. I know that perhaps this is really an indulgence since you can buy all these copies on the street but I am still enough of an American to not buy pirated videos.. well, that comes from knowing too many musicians so I would not buy bootleg CDs which is hard NOT to buy here since they even bootleg their own musicans.. sorry.. side rant... but
most of the videos are not the ones I want to see... and often they are dubbed in some other language and subtitled...(often inaccurately as I have learned from the English version) added to the fact that I really do not want to collect videos.. the books are bad enough

And I cannot get Netflix here.

Leading up to

WHY can't I call up Movie Max and have them deliver?

They have a small enough market I would think, those of us who are willing to pay 100 pesos for a rental... and I would pay an extra fee for delivery..

Anyone know anyone who owns the Movie Max franchise?

They already have all the titles on line.

I tried to register on their website but got stuck in a loop.

thanks for listeniing... it always feels so much more USEFUL ... to post here.. rather than talking to the Shihtzu about it.. Bright as she is.. she rarely disagrees with me. Except about eating her dog food without any addition of chicken or ham or beef or cheese on it.

ok

we are both spoiled.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Ok so I am getting pretty damn spoiled here in SD what with the colmado and the pharmacy at my beck and call.. so why not MOVIE MAX? which is BTW only about four blocks from my house but never seems to be open when I am out and about...

ok.. I know that perhaps this is really an indulgence since you can buy all these copies on the street but I am still enough of an American to not buy pirated videos.. well, that comes from knowing too many musicians so I would not buy bootleg CDs which is hard NOT to buy here since they even bootleg their own musicans.. sorry.. side rant... but
most of the videos are not the ones I want to see... and often they are dubbed in some other language and subtitled...(often inaccurately as I have learned from the English version) added to the fact that I really do not want to collect videos.. the books are bad enough

And I cannot get Netflix here.

Leading up to

WHY can't I call up Movie Max and have them deliver?

They have a small enough market I would think, those of us who are willing to pay 100 pesos for a rental... and I would pay an extra fee for delivery..

Anyone know anyone who owns the Movie Max franchise?

They already have all the titles on line.

I tried to register on their website but got stuck in a loop.

thanks for listeniing... it always feels so much more USEFUL ... to post here.. rather than talking to the Shihtzu about it.. Bright as she is.. she rarely disagrees with me. Except about eating her dog food without any addition of chicken or ham or beef or cheese on it.

ok

we are both spoiled.

I have Netflix in my home in Santiago and pretty much in all my devices, they all work 100% in the DR!!

I do use a proxy by default in all my setups in DR hooked on my RR Lightning service in Orlando, and also in my NYC pad via Time Warner Cable Wideband. I had this setup like that due to the many times services over the net got blocked when I tried to surf from DR devices, same with some online sites in the UK.

I also signed up for HULU plus, but I'm to my ears with the ads cutting in, so I'm thinking of letting it go soon... Not that it's expensive at all, but the ads do get under my skin...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
yeah.. I guess that would work if i had a home in Orlando......

is that why you put that whole thing in GIANT RED LETTERS

like I was some sorta idijit?

can't get NETFLIX

IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

WHERE I LIVE

FULL TIME

WHICH YOU

EVIDENTLY

DO

NOT

***oh no.. this is as bad as finding out that there is no Santa Claus and that Nals lives in CT and now YOU.. PICARDO who thinks that the DR is the GREATEST country in the WORLD.. actually has another home.. in .. the USA... just... what.... in case?)

where or where are the bunnies ... cannot find the bunnies

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
MA, I think Pichardo was giving you a solution as how to get NetFlix in the DR. I would try to do the same if someday I have to move down there.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
With all due respect Pichardo states he has Netflix here in Santiago and uses a proxy server to connect. There are various free ones available and of course there are ones for a fee which would be really necessary to get good download capability.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
ok.. yes,...thank you WW,, for the virtual bunny.. AND WHERE are the bunnies, by the way? IS THIS really progress? Are we to live in a DR1 without bunnies? Ahyi Ahya!! perhaps. I am unraveling...

and I am technologically challenged in that well let us just say that I cannot even text,, think it is enough that I can touch type let alone learning how to do it with my thumbs on the size of a matchbox....

but my take away from the Picardo posting was that he ran his through HIS homes in either Orlando or NYC (ah, I feel your pain) and so I assumed that one had to have that in order to do that.

So now you are saying no? Anyone can do this? Have a proxy server? This means what? That I could get NetFlix.? And with some genius hook up could have it go from my computer to my new HD TV?

Now I probably will not do this because the techonlogical leap that it would take me to do this will not be worth using up the few remaining open brain cells that I have left.. what with most of my brain being used to store the REALLY important stuff like old Rock n Roll Lyrics...

but if someone could explain it..
r
real simple

like you were talkin to an

idijit

that would be nice

bunnies

where are my

bunnies

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Annie, my son has been talking to me about a Roku box. He says if i use something like Hotspot Shield with it, I'll be able to get Netflix through the box here in the DR. He is even more of a geek than I am, so if you like, next time I talk to him, I'll ask for more details.

PS I found your bunnies! :bunny:

What you have to do is type : bunny : but take out the spaces between the letters and the colons.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
:bunny:

well, thanks.. and I also found that if I do real reply to thread instead of a quick reply

here are the bunnies:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

gee almost as good as a movie

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
yeah.. I guess that would work if i had a home in Orlando......

is that why you put that whole thing in GIANT RED LETTERS

like I was some sorta idijit?

Why would I had meant such a thing??

can't get NETFLIX

IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

Yes you can! As well as anybody with a broadband service connection here!

WHERE I LIVE

FULL TIME

WHICH YOU

EVIDENTLY

DO

NOT

So happens that we have biz in the US and Canada, both of which keep me busy shuttling from Santiago to two destinations on a regular basis. So much so that personnel that belongs to the airport and customs on all sides, greet me by my first name and I do breeze by check points both ways.

I don't "own" a home on the states, I "rent" a very simple and down to earth unit where to sleep and rest while there! Having opted to keep a boat removed the option for a second home for the family, since contrary to popular held beliefs we're not filthy rich or part of the elite on either side of the pond, unless we're talking about debt ceiling...

We have an smaller biz venture in the UK, where you can actually count on many fit and capable individuals to deal with everyday problems without ringing the boss 24/7 (as in the US and Canada)...

***oh no.. this is as bad as finding out that there is no Santa Claus and that Nals lives in CT and now YOU.. PICARDO who thinks that the DR is the GREATEST country in the WORLD.. actually has another home.. in .. the USA... just... what.... in case?)

where or where are the bunnies ... cannot find the bunnies

I simply gave you information on how we get our Netflix and other services in the DR, without having to break the bank. Having pads in NYC and Orlando made things easier in terms of setting the proxy with static self owned servers, but you can do it with pretty much anything else these days and not having a PC on the other end of the intended target region.

There are plenty of PC educated people here on DR1 that could set it up for you, given a few presidentes and burgers on the plate...

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Just to share: I have a subscription to megavideo.com (€59.99/year) and a site called icefilms.info to find the shows to watch.

Hook up your laptop to TV and you're set. I have no lag on 2MB connection :)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
ok... apologies all around

however.... what with all it

i did say that i was RANTING

which as WW rightly pointed out

is

an

unravelling

of sorts

and

i really do not want NETFLIX

even though

perhaps it might be available in my country even though it says it is not

but i would like to support my LOCAL business

Keep those pesos here in the DR which really really needs them even more than the US

And give employment to some guy who is going to DELIVER the actual DVD in the box to my door.

and get the tip in his hand..

because with netflix.. i may run into the same problem that i have with kindle in that I spent over $200 on books... the first month which really messed up my budget

. and after all even I can get tired of watching Men in Black in Spanish no matter how much I adore the movie.

So I am sorry if I offended anyone.

And really, it is ok to be rich and have three houses, really.. why some of my relatives were even rich once! There is no shame in it...

please accept my apolgies

And if anyone knows the owner of the Movie Max franchise he might just suggest that they institute deliveries to them..

and perhaps I can just go in and make an arrangement with the store owner and put down $1000 peso on the account and he can get one of the guys who hangs out at the sushi place next door.. ok now I really hate raw fish but perhaps they have something else on the menu.. and then we can just work this out

breathe

smile

breathe

smile

:bunny:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This couldn't be as simple something menopausal, could it?
You are normally so collected. :)) Unlike many of us..

You seem to be having a difficult time of it.....

lo siento, senora (bunny here)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
you know, women react soooooooooooooooooooo

welll to men referrrrrrrrrring

to their

hormones

when

they

have

every

right

to

be

ENRAGED

at
just
about
everything
everyday

try, dear, never, ever, ever,
to do that again?
okey, dokey?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Could you set up a personal MovieMax messenger service with one of the colmado delivery chaps?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you know, women react soooooooooooooooooooo

welll to men referrrrrrrrrring

to their

hormones

when

they

have

every

right

to

be

ENRAGED

at
just
about
everything
everyday

try, dear, never, ever, ever,
to do that again?
okey, dokey?

William B Webster hereby issues a public (quasi/semi public due to the limited exposure of this forum) apology to Elizabeth *****...aka Mountain Annie.... for his casual ( all too casual) remark as cited in the above off topic rant (#2).... post #14

Ms ***** is entitled to go off topic when ever she wishes, as allowed by DR1 Bob ( NOT Dr Bob in Sosua - see Judy's Pet Lodge thread) through his magnanimous gesture towards all posters above the 500 waterline.

WBW promises never to do such a thoughtless thing again to Mountain Annie or any of her other personalities/monikers.

Por favor, senora,............ lo siento

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
This is

after all

the twentieth anniversary of the Hurricane which destroyed 70% of the agriculture here and cost 3000 lives

my dog has fleas

which means that every piece of furniture also has fleas

there are cockroaches in the kitchen
justt one or two

very small very quiet very discrete onlly come out in the weeeee hours

but they are there

i removed an old air conditioner from the southen window because it was so old that it sounded like an helados bon truck coming across the floor and was traumatising Dona Gloria who is 84 and used to work at the UN and still has her apartment across from bloomies and is the only reason that i am still here and sane.. well mostly sane... she keeps my extra key and lets me back in when i wander off with the dog and the ipod

so there is only plywood on the south window.. where the hurricanas come from.. and it is absolutely gloriously smack dab open to the sea,, which is not what my dad would call battened down

plus the hot water does not work

so i will have to sublet the vacant unfuriished space on the floor aboveand move in with my desk and computer and plastic chair

and fumigate

while the shihtzu goes to the vet

and the plumber fixes the leak in the tup down to dona glorias

and the haitian handy man installs a window AC to fill u[ the hole in the south window

and

all

i

want

is

for

someone

to bring

me
over

a
good

movie

is
that too much to want?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
William B Webster hereby issues a public (quasi/semi public due to the limited exposure of this forum) apology to Elizabeth *****...aka Mountain Annie.... for his casual ( all too casual) remark as cited in the above off topic rant (#2).... post #14

Ms ***** is entitled to go off topic when ever she wishes, as allowed by DR1 Bob ( NOT Dr Bob in Sosua - see Judy's Pet Lodge thread) through his magnanimous gesture towards all posters above the 500 waterline.

WBW promises never to do such a thoughtless thing again to Mountain Annie or any of her other personalities/monikers.

Por favor, senora,............ lo siento

i is not about my rights as a poster on dr 1

or how many posts i have

or what any man says that i or cannot say

it is about

how you address me as a human being