Uasd

Aug 19, 2004
RD$800,000 per space at UASD parking

President Leonel Fernandez attended the inauguration of a modern multi-story parking garage yesterday at the Universidad Autonoma de Santo Domingo, the state university. The Presidency Public Works Supervisory Office (OISOE) built the parking lot at a reported cost of RD$1 billion.

Can somebody explain why a university needs a car park like this? This is a perfect example where the money would have been better spent on improvements to the public transport system - those feeder bus routes + it is in walking distance from the Metro. This development will just generate more congestion.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
With a car park the road congestion will actually be relieved. People currently park everywhere , blocking roads....etc. I don't disagree with your second point.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Not to defend the costs involved.but. The university hads loads of stidents, many of which also have jobs , and need their transportation, also the hours that the university operates are very long, from early AM to late PM. If a daughter of mine attended there I would want her to be safer, and if it means a parking facility that is fine. Also, the vehicles themselves are probably more secure within the confines of the facility.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
$27 million for a modern, 2,000 space garage in the middle of a large city is about what the universities have paid out here in Atlanta.

Better facilities attract more grant money, better faculty, additional boosters and alumni who are more encouraged to support the school, as well as more foreign students who pay a (relative) premium to attend and live there, who help subsidize the local students who go out and create a better DR.

Not a bad deal, not bad at all.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
RD$800,000 per space at UASD parking

President Leonel Fernandez attended the inauguration of a modern multi-story parking garage yesterday at the Universidad Autonoma de Santo Domingo, the state university. The Presidency Public Works Supervisory Office (OISOE) built the parking lot at a reported cost of RD$1 billion.

Can somebody explain why a university needs a car park like this? This is a perfect example where the money would have been better spent on improvements to the public transport system - those feeder bus routes + it is in walking distance from the Metro. This development will just generate more congestion.

Seeing how this was done by the government, that price also includes massive payoffs, skimming, bribes, and good old corruption.

The university doesn't necessarily needs this car park and if it did some entrepreneur would have eventually hit upon an idea to make money by offering a privately financed parking structure.

Where did the money to do this come from ???? IMF and World Bank loans which put the country greater into hock. How will this paid be for in the long run ??? Higher tuition charges to students who have trouble paying it as is.

Typical big government white elephant. Go read "Confessions of an economic hitman"

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The price tag is not only including the actual building just for cars "but" several works that were carried out in tandem with the parking. This is not a multi floor parking lot as many think, but in reality a mixed use building with several other services built-in.

The need for the parkings is that the entire UASD complex will be made into a walk only campus, save for those lanes designated for cars heading to the lots and exits. There's a secondary parking structure that will come in a later stage of needs.
Parqueo-UASD1.jpg

showimage.php

showimage.php

img1756p.jpg

img1755wr.jpg

img1754h.jpg

img1753y.jpg

img1752f.jpg

img1751kf.jpg

5734537951_8c74b8c40f_b.jpg

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
There's a lot more on the wings to come to the UASD:

img0550hx.jpg

img0551ik.jpg

img0552zw.jpg

img0476l.jpg

305951216_2948bc7cdf_o.jpg

uasd2.png

img0270ks.jpg

img0271qh.jpg

img0273e.jpg

img0274m.jpg

img0276bf.jpg

foto1hb.jpg

foto1be.jpg

4962356611b932e70c59b.jpg

4962357153c0cb06d228b.jpg

96843570.jpg

47207513.jpg

59919249.jpg

foj0.jpg

39493851.jpg

39493819.jpg

39493798.jpg

comedorxg3.png

306266940_14f88d9b8f_o.jpg

ciudadsaludgv2.jpg

renderimage.aspx

renderimage.aspx

2181964341_2a1cbe850d_b.jpg

2182752360_29947bc39a_b.jpg

RD$1 billion? If it takes five times that, I have no problems as something is at least to be shown for the tax money!!!

The only thing the PRD built during their administrations was the national debt and sank the economy, along with the value of my DR$... Be it that the PLD is turning a profit by stealing from the tax funds, there's more to be seen left behind than the Trujillo and Balaguer eras put together in public infrastructure alone, not to say private...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
well, at least there is something to show for the money spent on education here. an elaborate parking facility , rivalling anything in the good old USA. now, if only the schools had desks...and teachers....and books....and graduates who knew where Cuba is.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
well, at least there is something to show for the money spent on education here. an elaborate parking facility , rivalling anything in the good old USA. now, if only the schools had desks...and teachers....and books....and graduates who knew where Cuba is.

Funny how in grand ole USA kids got desks, teachers and books, yet graduates still can't find Cuba in a map unless using google to find it! Ah! And they also have many, many, many parking facilities like the one we just spent RD$1 billion on!

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Parking Lots

Funny how in grand ole USA kids got desks, teachers and books, yet graduates still can't find Cuba in a map unless using google to find it! Ah! And they also have many, many, many parking facilities like the one we just spent RD$1 billion on!

Exactly !!!

How many Dominicans are functionally illiterate ?? People are still catching cholera for Christ's sake.

This is ridiculous. I know a number of UASD graduates who don't even have a basic elementary and high school education.

Yes this project is pretty, but totally unnecessary and will only benefit a tiny portion of the population. Many in the DR don't even have basic services.

This is the typical project funded by IMF/World Bank money. Big, expensive, useless to 99% of the population, easy opportunities for corruption.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is one of the Sunland projects, is it not - at least it didn't ALL go into the officials' pockets.

Today's DR1 News
Historic cost of parking space
Architect Raul de Moya has described the RD$800,000 reported cost per parking space in the new garage built at the state university, UASD, as "historic". The Presidency Public Works Supervisory Office (OISOE) reported the parking garage cost US$1 billion and has 1,248 parking spaces. De Moya says he recently built a similar parking building for a private educational institution and the parking space average was RD$400,000, including elements similar to the one built at the UASD. De Moya says that a square meter of construction at the UASD parking garage was RD$36,000, or almost US$1,000. He said that would be similar to construction cost of a luxury apartment complex in Piantini.
Diario Libre reported today that the parking garage was in the package of 11 works that the OISOE was due to build with the controversial US$130 million loan of Sun Land, which was taken on without congressional approval and caused a major scandal in 2007.

Source: Parqueo UASD habr?a costado unos RD$800,000 por unidad - DiarioLibre.com

More on Sunland:

Leonel y la SunLand

- link found in previous DR1 thread on the scandal - http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/74246-sun-land-corruption-scandal.html

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
kdolo states

This is the typical project funded by IMF/World Bank money. Big, expensive, useless to 99% of the population, easy opportunities for corruption.

yes, kdolo. just like the METRO.some caribbean bragging rights nonsense for big egos and small minds. look at us. we are the superpower of the region. we have a metro, and you do not. now, we have a multistory parking lot , one which would be the envy of many European and North American Universities. you other islanders are still parking outdoors.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Nice Pictures! .Mr "P"

Dominicans can live in the parking spaces in about two years!

Did you see that the "Banco Central" says that "Foreign Investment" was down 25 % in 2010!

You got any "Pretty Pictures"
to "SPIN" that???????????????????

Or has your "source" gone into hiding??

As AZB would say; hahahahahaha!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
It amazes me how some of the people on this board seem to almost relish the notion of the DR not moving forward. Any half-wit knows that improvements in transportation and education are central to improvements in the economy and quality of life. This can be evidenced in the BRIC countries.

Sure, there's corruption, it should be addressed, what else is new? You knew this when you bought your ticket. It's also hot, with lots of bugs. Get over it.

It's as if some of the expats stood to gain financially from everyone around them continuing to live in extreme poverty and hopelessness. After all, improved education and business opportunities leads to better jobs with improved wages and quality of life, and we CERTAINLY wouldn't want that to interfere with your ability to maintain easy access to cheap and beautiful sex partners and lower rents.

I mean, where's the fairness in that?

DROBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"DRBOOB",We Are Going To Have To Put You In The Same Leaky Boat As,

"Chump",The "Sandman","Marrymeot",and the Peeman"

In most large urban areas,"mass transit" is an efficient,economical,rapid way to move thousands of people to work,shop,recreate,(that means,have some diversion,not "fornicate" as here in the DR,Dominicans do a great job of that WITHOUT a METRO!

Problem here is,no jobs to go too,no money to buy anything,and the colmado is just next door! You don't have to travel far the play dominoes,and get drunk!

It's the Dominican equivalent of the Alaskan,"Bridge to nowhere",or that airport outside of St.Louis that never gets used.10 years later,and the politicians sound like you,"INFRASRUCTURE" produces jobs!
yeah!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS, What's up with all those stupid "BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB"s???????????????????????????????????????????????/

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Dominicans can live in the parking spaces in about two years!

Did you see that the "Banco Central" says that "Foreign Investment" was down 25 % in 2010!

You got any "Pretty Pictures"
to "SPIN" that???????????????????

Or has your "source" gone into hiding??

As AZB would say; hahahahahaha!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"The DR continues to receive the highest level of foreign investment in the Caribbean, with 41% of the total in the region"

You see it half empty, we see it half full!

FI is not a figure that keeps growing the more a nation continues to expand economically, rather the exact reverse is truth. Once an economy grows at leading pace in regards to FI, the same heats up and then needs to "cool" down which in economic terms is called ROI... That's when you see the figure (FI) find the pace in tune with the internal/external macro economic model in that country, and then things take a slower beat but stable and stronger.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
CRISS COLONIC

What ever happened to that "fuzzy wuzzy wittle teddy bear" folks on here like to characterize you as?

Back to topic. My point was two-fold. Nobody will invest significant monies (I'm not talking about some guy with call center dreams, I'm talking industry) unless their business operations can be properly supported. It's like the Eisenhower Expressway, everyone thought an interstate system was a useless boondoggle, and then industry exploded. Southern states fight tooth and nail to attract car manufacturers and other relatively labor intensive companies. I've been involved in that here in Atlanta, and the selling points generally go to superior infrastructure and superior workforce capabilities. Combine that with sweetheart tax deals, and you get real businesses and real jobs.

Again rocket science, this ain't.

Which brings me to point number two. I would submit that Mr. "Fuzzy Wuzzy" would actually be opposed to such changes because it would cause costs to go up. I imagine your $4,500 budget would be a wee bit higher were you living in a town with costs more reasonably approximating, say, Miami.

Other DR1 buds prefer the other benefits attendant with a much stronger dollar. Is there graft and corruption aplenty in the DR? Sure. Thanks for sharing. Again, what else is new?

You sound like the folks opposed to the overpasses in SD, who now rely on them entirely. I applaud efforts to improve the attractiveness of the island beyond sand, sea, and sankie sex.

"Dang," I "forgot" to use "quotes" every other "word" to "compensate" for my inability to "write" effectively.

DROBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
All You Have To Do Is Give A FOOL Enough Rope,And,"THEY" Will Hang THEMSELVES !!!!!!

Thanks for that "Brilliant" "SPIN" Mister "P"!
Everyone I know,who actually lives in the DR, NOT ATLANTA :disappoin
,loves the "over/under passes".I have stated here many times,"great return,on a relatively small investment. Not like that $10,000 a spot parking garage at the UASD university in SD! WHAT IDIOT PLANNED THAT? Actually he was pretty smart!$5,000 per spot,$5,000 for his ''Amigos"!
Please TRY and remember,this is "DR1"! I know it's hard for you,"up there" trying to talk like you live "HERE" but please try!:speechles

IMITATION,is the most sincere form of flattery!
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

CC;)

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
So, you revert to the "do you live here" defense.

How surprising.

Shame that's the best you can do. Moving on to a more interesting topic with a more challenging debater....

Aug 19, 2004
It amazes me how some of the people on this board seem to almost relish the notion of the DR not moving forward. Any half-wit knows that improvements in transportation and education are central to improvements in the economy and quality of life. This can be evidenced in the BRIC countries.

I don't understand how a car park for this facility is a case of moving forward. How many students at the university can afford to run a car to get to the university. A country that was moving forward would invest in a safe and reliable public transport system so your average student could afford to get to the university.