Entering Customs

farmgurl

Jun 8, 2011
Hi Everyone,
So I am heading to Punta Cana soon and heading to the Majestic Elegance. Hope I picked a good resort, anyway I have traveled to the carribean before and know of the meds to bring. My question is, can you bring in some snacks and gatorades? It's been a while since we have traveled so I don't know what you can bring in and if they searched your luggage I didn't want it all to be thrown out. So if you know the answer please let me know. And if you have stayed at the Majestic, how did you like it. We stayed at the Palladium Bavaro last time and loved it, I just wanted to try something different. Thanks Everyone

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Snacks and Gatorade in your checked luggage is fine. Just no fruits or vegetables or meat.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't know how much does Gatorade cost in the USA but in the DR it's about a dollar for the regular (20 oz??) bottle. Unless the price difference is very very big I wouldn't bother taking down Gatorade with you.... you could buy it here in Supermarkets or Colmados.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
What Customs?

My question is, can you bring in some snacks and gatorades? ... I don't know what you can bring in and if they searched your luggage I didn't want it all to be thrown out.

Just get one of the ex-generals on duty at the airport, they'll arrange for a pickup coming right up to the plane's cargo door. Thus customs not necessary... :cross-eye
Investigan miembros del CESA para determinar c?mo Omega sac? tres maletas del AILA sin revisar - List?n Diario Digital

donP

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Gatorade may be available in the stores for about $1 a bottle however there are no stores near the ME and if the small store on site has it be prepared to pay 5x the normal rate.

Bob K

Feb 7, 2007
You can take all the supplies you need stopping by in big supermarkets, Bravo or Nacional, on your way form the airport to the hotel. Just pay the taxi driver $5 more for 10 minute wait. I have not been to Bravo or Nacional in Punta Cana area, but in Santo Domingo they usually keep fridges stocked with soft drinks including Gatorade close to cash registers, so you should be able to get in and out quickly.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unless you really need to keep a supply of "snacks" handy for your munchies, I would suggest forgetting about them. They are all available here at the markets...Gatorade is all over like Coca~Cola...

HB

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
This thread reminds me of the early 1980's when I had to bring a case of diet soda through customs each time I came on vacation. There were no diet beverages produced on the island at that time. Try explaining why you are carrying a case of Tab to a customs inspector. Even to this day, diet sodas which are produced in the DR taste terrible.

farmgurl

Jun 8, 2011
Thanks everyone for your response. I am not sure if we will be leaving the resort, so I don't know if we will get to a market. Due to migraines and stomach issues I just wanted to have some things on hand, cause you just never know! Thanks again!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks everyone for your response. I am not sure if we will be leaving the resort, so I don't know if we will get to a market. Due to migraines and stomach issues I just wanted to have some things on hand, cause you just never know! Thanks again!
Hopefully all your problems will go away and that you'll be enjoying Pina Coladas and Merengue music. Have a nice vacation and bring what you want.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
My suggestion is that you make it a PRIORITY to get out of the resort for at least a little while. The personnel at the resort, airport transfer, etc. etc. will do a VERY convincing job of telling you not to by using scare tactics. Ignore that, (but not your common sense), and check out the surroundings outside the resort. IT'S SAFE, it's enlightening, and IT'S FUN. Keep your normal wits about you just like you were at home, and you'll be fine. I wish someone had given me the same advise prior to my first trip to the D.R.