Question's

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
I have a few question's about some Dominicans practices I don't know if this has been covered yet so hear it goes.
Why when they go to the bathroom they throw tissue in garbage instead of flushing it ? Is it a problem with plumbing or sewage system or what?

Waste I hate when I see my inlaws with a plate full of rice ,beans and chicken eat half then throw rest away and this is ok WHY? and it seems like it done more when it's not their money being wasted.

Is this a common practice or am I just dealing with ( I dont give a damm it's not my money inlaws)
I see this when visitng D.R no problem in the states.:confused:

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The paper is put in the basket because: A) The plumbing pipes are of small dimension and back up easily. B) Water is a scare Island resource, when it's brown flush it down, yellow mellow is a common practice in all the Caribe Isands.

Most of the folks I know give the waste food to their pigs or dogs. They save it in a bucket to use later or compost.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Plumbing/sanitation systems is the main reason for the toilet paper bins.

Throwing away food - it may be that it is a campo tradition where people prepare more food than is needed in case unexpected visitors turn up. Any leftovers could always be fed to the animals.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Ok I understand about the plumbing but the food goes into the garbage and they live in santiago,bonao and santo domingo and they all waste food!WTF

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Most residences are not hooked up to sewer systems. They use what are called cesspools in the states, and sometimes papers can clog the "weep" or drain holes in the cesspools which causes the water level to rise and possibly overfill the cesspool. That is why many people keep a small garbage deposit can alongside the toilet. As far as excess food what is needed is education in food prep. also, since dominicans have a habit of dropping in unannounced, most homemakers make extra just in case. My wife does that also.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
this bathroom practice i find very offensive to say the least. they do it in SD where there is plenty of modern piping so flushing paper down the drain shouldn't be a problem. they did it in my apt in SD, 3 and a half bathrooms until i removed the small waste cans. i don't know what they do with the paper now but i haven't had any complaints, seems like my dominican visitors figure it out in a hurry though. same goes for my house in NY. i removed the wastebaskets end of story. unless, unless it's this little girl. her mother is dominican, she's about 8 years old, and if she visits my house in NY for more than an hour i will have to go get the plunger.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
When I roomed in FL for a few months, the owners specifically wanted me to throw out the paper used in the waste basket. Not only a DR thing.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
When I roomed in FL for a few months, the owners specifically wanted me to throw out the paper used in the waste basket. Not only a DR thing.

No wonder you moved back to NYC ;)

I have seen it, in Central America too. So gross, if only the basket was closed so we wouldn't have to look at used papers :(

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
True: It's common in most if not all the Latin American countries I've visited.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Like a lot of things, this can be traced back a few decades (more than a few, really) when a basket of corn cobs was available for sanitary cleaning. With latrines, this was no problem, but with the introduction of indoor plumbing, which used, in general small bore, concrete piping , flushing the cobs was no longer an option. So the inauguration of the waste basket. The onset of plastic bags made it more tidy.

Another issue is related to Amparocorp's post. The massive use of TP for simple wipes or wiping! Six or eight turns AROUND the hand is often normal practice. Of course Amparocorp has to get the plunger. Only a few years past indoor plumbing, a wasteful sense of propriety, also visible in vehicular use ( You could count the vehicles in some towns on your two hands 50 years ago, and everyone knew who you were by the vehicle.) They are all first generation modern facilities users, and have to learn, often times the hard way..

HB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
No wonder you moved back to NYC ;)

I have seen it, in Central America too. So gross, if only the basket was closed so we wouldn't have to look at used papers :(

Most hotels in Brasil have a waste can with a cover and a foot pedal!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
When they make too much food, often they do not have a proper fridge to store the leftovers in. Maybe over the years they got used to not eating leftovers. I know many Dominicans who refuse to eat them - ever!

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
When they make too much food, often they do not have a proper fridge to store the leftovers in. Maybe over the years they got used to not eating leftovers. I know many Dominicans who refuse to eat them - ever!
It's a diffrence between leftover's and wasteing food.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Wasting food is something that drives me up a wall.

Moreso because I was brought up by parents that insisted I clean my plate, and was in the service (eat what you take, take what you eat).

Even the poorest of the poor toss leftover food.

Amen I was raised the same way and the same rule's when I was in the service(even if the sh*t tasted like slop)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Throwing paper in the waster basket is something I've seen the gov't promoting with the puropse being lees of a burden on the septic systems, whether public or private.

As far as having extra food, I see it as being derived in for having enough for visitors and also many Dominicans are averse to being considered "comelons" and will typically leave a little food on their plate. I've actually embarrassed people kidding that they eat a lot.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
If everybody did it the indonesian and indian way there wouldn't be a problem and less waste of wood (paper).

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Another quirk here is the presence of either a candle or a book of matches on top of the toilet bowl lid. You light the matches to dissapate the gasses that eminate from your posterior to avoid others having to smell them. Just be careful after eating your beans, that you dont blow yourself up along with the bathroom.