Possible Relocation

kestephens

Mar 23, 2008
I know anything is possible but is it realistic to say that my son and I could live(thrive, survive) in the DR on a salary of 19,000RD per month? Specifically in the area of POP....

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
The only way to do this would be to live like a poorer Dominican family - public transportation, public schools, eating the bandera daily, no A/C, small apartment - likely only one bedroom in a Dominican barrio, NO medical insurance unless it is included in your work, typical cable tv, hair salon monthly instead of weekly etc etc. It will be very hard for you to adjust to this lifestyle.

IMHO it is NOT enough money - BTW do you speak fluent or near fluent Spanish? You will need it to survive in the barrio.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Also, what 19,000 $RD can buy today is not what it will buy in 6 months or a year from now.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you are Dominican and have family in the POP area it would be possible and your son could even go to an inexpensive colegio. For a foreigner I would say it could be done but probably wouldn't be enjoyable what with Western expectations and all that.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Don't see how anyone can voluntarily decide to run a household & raise a kid on US$500/month if any other alternative exists.
If no other exists, then you only accept it until one does... and even then who would move to a foreign country to do so?

What would your motivation be to do this?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
salary? that suggests other details as opposed to a pension, or bank interest. sounds like a resort wants to hire you at 19k and provide housing and food. the housing isn't much worse or better than a college dorm, but that is not the place to raise a child. a child wants bricks and mortar, a home that he/she knows is permanent, even if rented. a mom that puts him on the bus or walks him to school and someone to greet him or pick him up from school. a child wants permanence, no more moving around, no more uncles. it is better for a child to have no "uncles" than a new one every month. a child can grow up in a circus, that is more family than you will find in a resort. circus people are the same year after year, uunless you change from ringling blue to the red show, but that comes with tutors and a permanent stateroom on the train. say no to the resort...........sorry it is not the best place for a child. however, if you are dominican, it might be better than life in the city................

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
salary? that suggests other details as opposed to a pension, or bank interest. sounds like a resort wants to hire you at 19k and provide housing and food. ...
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I dunno... did I miss something? Who said anything about a resort, banks, and/or "UNCLES", etc? Why speculate on a poster's question or situation? I understand most here are just trying to help with their advice and insight; but either answer the question or not, there's no need for projected extrapolation of what you THINK the O.P.'s circumstances OR parenting skills might be.

salary? that suggests other details as opposed to a pension, or bank interest. sounds like a resort wants to hire you at 19k and provide housing and food. the housing isn't much worse or better than a college dorm, but that is not the place to raise a child. a child wants bricks and mortar, a home that he/she knows is permanent, even if rented. a mom that puts him on the bus or walks him to school and someone to greet him or pick him up from school. a child wants permanence, no more moving around, no more uncles. it is better for a child to have no "uncles" than a new one every month. a child can grow up in a circus, that is more family than you will find in a resort. circus people are the same year after year, uunless you change from ringling blue to the red show, but that comes with tutors and a permanent stateroom on the train. say no to the resort...........sorry it is not the best place for a child. however, if you are dominican, it might be better than life in the city................

kestephens

Mar 23, 2008
I appreciate all posters who gave an opinion based upon the information in my initial post.

@DMV123 ...thanks for breaking down housing, insurance and amenities.
My child and I both speak near fluent spanish but I wouldn't want to subject him to environments there, that I stay away from in the US. Thanks! ,

@belmont...that's a point that I hadn't even considered. Thank you!

@Chip...I really don't fall into the category of your "typical" westerner. I visited Santo Domingo last year and used the bare minimum. I can honestly say it was one of the greatest experiences of my life and I would trade this rushed, confusing lifestyle here in the US for that any day...but I do understand what you're saying. Thanks!

@CFA123 You're right. 500US is not enough to run a thriving household. My life, my experiences motivate me to have a worldly education and to allow my son the same opportunity. I posted the question to create dialogue about my uncertainties....not to have my motivations questioned. Thank you!

@amparocorp....your process of deductive reasoning is completely inefficient so I suggest you try again on someone else's post. When I want to construct a house...I will contact you. When I am unsure of how to transport my child to school...I will contact you. When I am considering a new relationship....I will contact you. When I can't decide between Ringling Bros. or Cirque de Soleil....I will surely contact you. I found your post to be quite useless in answering my question but plentiful in entertainment. For that I thank you!

@CC...I've been called worse. Thanks!

@CaptnGlenn....I must have missed something as well. Thank you so very much!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

It would cost you $500USD a month for food, utilities, transportation and phone alone. If you want to live on the street you could make it work, otherwise don't waste your time. You would need a minimum of 45-57,000RDS to live a lifestyle that you are accustomed to. If you are looking at jobs in the DR and that salary is all you find than it isn't realistic at this time.

S

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
She has been offered a job at a school in POP. Our poster "expatsooner" is guiding her as to what she should receive as a "foreign hire" rather than a "local hire".
Unless the school can sweeten the pie a bit this is a no-brainer.

HB

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sweet Barrio Life

I visited Santo Domingo last year and used the bare minimum. I can honestly say it was one of the greatest experiences of my life and I would trade this rushed, confusing lifestyle here in the US for that any day...
Where did you stay when you were there?

donP