Internet problems. - Can not resolve DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Codetel and DeLancer are having problems with DNS servers again, and again, and again... Received several calls this morning from friends who can not open any web page but their Skype works just fine.

Here is the solution in this situation.

In TCP/IP settings of your ethernet or wireless LAN card set the following DNS servers -

primary - 208.67.222.222
secondary - 208.67.220.220

Hope that helps.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Google has a public dns server that is way more reliable that anything on this island: 8.8.8.8

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Codetel and DeLancer are having problems with DNS servers again, and again, and again... Received several calls this morning from friends who can not open any web page but their Skype works just fine.

Here is the solution in this situation.

In TCP/IP settings of your ethernet or wireless LAN card set the following DNS servers -

primary - 208.67.222.222
secondary - 208.67.220.220

Hope that helps.

All back up now since I got home about 4 pm. Where do I find those TCP/ IP settings Bred?

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
Internet is back, tried these settings, no change in speed, right now it is download 0.12 MB, Claro says it is on maintenance, the usual stories....

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Internet is back, tried these settings, no change in speed, right now it is download 0.12 MB, Claro says it is on maintenance, the usual stories....

DNS setting will not change your speed. It will only help you to resolve DNS issues like it was yesterday and many times before. You can leave new DNS settings there. Then you will not even notice when Codetel or DeLancer have same issues again.

Domain Name System serves for translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, the domain name http://www.dr1.com translates to the addresses 67.20.62.21. You can try to access DR1.com by just typing this IP address into your browser window - http://67.20.62.21

whirleybird, I can only tell you how to do it in Windows XP -

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
Right-click the network connection that you want to configure, and then click Properties.
On the General tab (for a local area connection), or the Networking tab (for all other connections), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
To manually configure DNS server addresses, click Use the following DNS server addresses, and then type the preferred DNS server and alternate DNS server IP addresses in the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server boxes.

Mike_n_Val

Dec 24, 2010
How to change settings to Google public DNS on Win 7, taken from googles site

Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows 7

Go the Control Panel.
Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Change adapter settings.
Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.
To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and click Properties.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
Click OK.
Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
Restart the connection you selected in step 3.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
How to change settings to Google public DNS on Win 7, taken from googles site

Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows 7

Go the Control Panel.
Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Change adapter settings.
Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.
To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and click Properties.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
Click OK.
Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
Restart the connection you selected in step 3.

I would appreciate clarification. I am running windows 7.

The present preferred dns is 196.3.81.5 and secondary is 196.3.81.132.

I understand that I need to change them to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.222

But then the next step according to your explanation was to replace the present IP addresses with the IP address of the Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

This is where I am uncertain. What is presently on the DNS tab in advanced is the same as above: 196.3.81.5 and 196.3.81.132. But now I am to replace them not with the same numbers as the new recommended primary and secondary servers, similar to what I have now from Codetel, but something entirely different. I would appreciate confirmation of that.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
After posting the message below, I realize I was mixing two things, the message by Bred and the change to the Google public server for Windows 7

Getting back on the track:

At present time, my preferred dns is 196.3.81.3 and the secondary is 196.3.81.132. On the Advanced>DNS tab, are the same numbers. Is all that is necessary is to replace both sets of numbers with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in order to use the Google public server?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Guys I'm just having the same issues here in Las Vegas, NV. I think this could be a global issue.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
YouTube has many videos on sconnecting to various dns servers, e.g., Google, Norton, Sunbelt Cloud, Comodo, etc. Some of them, such as Norton has security features built in that block connection to sites noted for malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.