Best Italian and best French/Continental restaurants

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I am heading to the Capital next month and I would like to try some of the better restaurants in town.

Specifically I would am interested in Italian and/or French food. I am more interested in the quality and the selection of food, then in ambiance and service. Ambiance and service are also important, but I love to eat (and drink). I want this to be a gastronomical sensation.

I realize this is very subjective topic, but I would like to hear people's opinions.

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I checked the Polls, and the first 7 pages here, and didn't find anything. If there are other threads, I would appreciate someone pointing me in their direction.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Italian - not the fanciest in town but I've always liked it - La Lasa?a on Gustavo Mej?a Ricart just before the intersection with Lope de Vega.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I have not been there for over 10 years. Back then the service was better than the food. But it looks like they have some interesting things on the menu.

Thanks for the link!
Somethings have changed, somethings have not. The antipasto cart hasn't changed much since I first ate there in 1980s, although a few new items have been added. But the dinner menu has evolved, especially with the new generation of family in the business. Plenty of choices on the menu, some nouvelle Italian cuisine and others traditional fare. Service is still top-notch. Going to Vesuvio, you feel like you've travelled back in time and expect El Jeffe and his entourage to be seated any moment.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Yes, but your handle is "rice&beans"! :)

Ha!!.......true, but I get tired of eating Filet Mignon and Lobster all the time. My blue collar palate keeps me in check. I'll never tire of....................you guessed it.........

rice&beans

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
The best steak place I have ever eaten at (I have been around) is David Crockett's. The Cowboy Filet is unbelievable. I know you said Italian and French but this is a great place. Plus all the staff are in cowboy outfits.

sush

Mar 9, 2011
italian you can go Vesuvio at tiradentes also i think is a lot better than the one in malecon, and of course Dolce Italia at Novo Centro at Lope de Vega they also have Segafredo - not sure if that is how is spelled- i never tried but it looks nice, both of them are next to each other. Dolce Italia have really GOOD Gellato.

sush

Mar 9, 2011
Oh there is also La Dolcerie, is like a cafe / lounge it is lovely and the enviroment feels really nice, i keep going and passing by but i never remember the street name!

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Don Pepe is spanish style..very good. The trattoria at vesuvio was fine but it is closed. For italian I like Saporo de Itaila and also Positanos.