Self Defense ??

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Lets say I am attached in DR. Say I fight back and the attacker ends up dead. Of course not by a gun shot because I cant leagally carry. Lets say by a very large kitchen knife. What would the consequences be seeing how I am a forginer??

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Do you normally carry a kitchen knife, or are you talking about an attack in your house or apartment? If you do carry a knife and it happens on the street, if there are no witnesses to the attack you might be wise to stab the attacker and quickly walk away.

If in your house and the attacker is an intruder, call the police.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i guess it all depends. if it happens on your ground (house, land) you have an upper hand, so to speak. you may be held for an investigation and then released. if you are well known and know police/military/politicians you will be patted on your back. or if you look dumb, speak no spanish and know no one you may go to prison...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And now for the worst part. Everyone in the dead persons family now has a motive against you regardless if he attacked you. They will blame you.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Lets say I am attached in DR. Say I fight back and the attacker ends up dead. Of course not by a gun shot because I cant leagally carry. Lets say by a very large kitchen knife. What would the consequences be seeing how I am a forginer??

This hasn't happened to me in the DR but I've thought about it and here would be my scenario's.

If you are attacked:

1. Try to escape first,
2. If you cannot escape ask bystanders for help,
3. If there are no bystanders, do what you must, leave as little traces as possible, talk about it to no-one and admit to nothing
4. If there are bystanders and they don't help you try to move towards an area without bystanders then repeat 1 and if that fails 3,
5. If you are attacked in your house, do what you must, make sure to get rid of the evidence, talk about it to no-one and admit to nothing

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There was a long thread on self defense a while ago..... consensus was to use a can of the 12 foot shooting wasp spray - only available outside RD........ or get a spear gun.

Neither should be used off the property !

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
I always carry a meat cleaver with me in DR to get some of those tasty free roaming chickens for dinner and wondered if I could use it for other purposes if needed.:D

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
I carry a knife with me everywhere I go, and I sleep with a bayonet. Never had to use my knife in the street but a haitan broke in one night and I sliced his hand with the bayonet. The cops never came, but the watchys wanted to give me a medal. If somebody I knew ever killed somebody in self defense, he would be best advised to not tell anybody and get to SDQ fast as possible. To that guy who says that if somebody is in your house call the cops, half the time you have somebody breaking into your house it is a cop. Ive had 2 break ins, one was the haitan and the other was a guy I knew I had seen before. I caught him coming into my bathroom window with a matchete. I knew I'd seen him before but I couldnt quite remember, until I saw him in his PN uniform at the local station.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
On top

If you are attached in DR the novia will be on top. WATCH OUT for the machete, don't get her mad!!!!!! But have fun.:rambo::rambo::rambo:

If you are attacked shoot the bastard but don't get caught, you'd be in a world of trouble and in Jail for an unforeseeable time.
In theory you have the right to defend yourself against a gun or arma blanca.
As a foreigner it will cost you a lot of money, don't count on justice, lawyers, police or the courts!
It sucks to let them get away with it and be a victim........best to avoid confrontation.
If you speak Spanish and have the right demeanour you may give them the right signals to lay off.
There are no guarantees.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Watch that cleaver speedy gonzales

:rambo::rambo::rambo:
I always carry a meat cleaver with me in DR to get some of those tasty free roaming chickens for dinner and wondered if I could use it for other purposes if needed.:D

Must be uncomfortable and dangerous if you drop it when you pee.
Usually I get my chicken at the Pollo Loco, the free roaming ones are too fast for me.
I save my energy for the chicas and I NEVER have to chase them!!!!!!!

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Wow man take it easy..... URBAN LEDGENDS

I carry a knife with me everywhere I go, and I sleep with a bayonet. Never had to use my knife in the street but a haitan broke in one night and I sliced his hand with the bayonet. The cops never came, but the watchys wanted to give me a medal. If somebody I knew ever killed somebody in self defense, he would be best advised to not tell anybody and get to SDQ fast as possible. To that guy who says that if somebody is in your house call the cops, half the time you have somebody breaking into your house it is a cop. Ive had 2 break ins, one was the haitan and the other was a guy I knew I had seen before. I caught him coming into my bathroom window with a matchete. I knew I'd seen him before but I couldnt quite remember, until I saw him in his PN uniform at the local station.

I sleep with a really hot chick....sorry to brag!!!!!!
I carry tortillas with me everywhere.( I'm Mexican and they are hard to find here especially de mais)
Once three haitian girls(hotties) climbed through my window and I surrenderd, they gave me three gold medals for my performance.......... but I digress:p:p:p:p

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Under Dominican law, self defense requires: (a) a certain, imminent and unjustified attack, and (b) a necessary and proportional response.

I don't think the first part needs explanation. As for the second, "necessary" means you can't do anything else (like running away) but defend yourself. ?Proportional? means that you can only kill if you are about to be killed: if somebody is about to beat you up with his fists, gunning him down with a machine gun is not a proportional response, and therefore it?ll be considered homicide.

jastinlockhart

Jun 17, 2011
immigrationlawyersnow.org
That's it! That's what we called self defense. I guess there no charge with that. You are not the one who had the bad motive. You just protect yourself from the possible injury.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Justice is incidental to law and order. -John Edgar Hoover
immigrationlawyersnow.org

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010

Make sure you don't have plastic .