Which Domestic Workers Must Be Reported To Social Security?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The item in the DR1 News Summary today about the award by a court of RD$10,000 to a domestic employed by somebody who did not register that person with Social Security got my attention.

Does this requirement apply to all domestics, or just full time ones. I have a woman who comes once a week for 3, no more than 4, hours to clean my apartment. Am I at risk for not reporting to Social Security?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hey Ken I see you`re asking the same question so I guess since this is something new we wait for Mr Guzman to give us an update. ;)

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
My opinion: You dont need this for domestic workers unless the house is registered in a company and you get sued as a company. In private residences, you dont need to register the workers and you dont need to pay a portion to payroll tax, severance pay, social security, INFOTEP, etc.

A friend of mine was sued by a maid for severance pay because she claimed it was a company. The house was registered as a company in order to avoid some real estate taxes. Also, they were foreigners so of course they lost.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
In this case, the maid had asked for a loan (for the 5th time) and was refused (for the first time), so she stopped coming to work. She didn't show for two weeks, when the owners got notice they were being sued, that they 'fired' her. This was the basis of her suit.

What didnt' help them was that they rented the house on vacation rentals over the internet a few times per year, making it a 'business.'

Is a normal domestic maid due 'severance pay?' I thought only vacation pay and christmas pay.