Re-discover Costambar

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
OK folks here's some news for you .........

The Costambar road is fixed!!!

I just thought I'd mention that because I've met at least 3 people in the last month who didn't want to come to Costambar because of "the terrible road".

Now you've got no excuses!

Why visit Costambar?

We have a delightful, cosmopolitan, safe village with a superb "millionaires beach", charming bars, restaurants & cafes. All very reasonably priced.

You can have breakfast over-looking the ocean or Pico Isabella.

Play a few holes of golf, some tennis or just chill on the beach without getting hassled.

Indulge in some people-watching with a coffee or cool drink.

Finish the day with dinner at a choice of bars & restaurants from rustic local, through to international.

We love living & working here. Why not stop by & find out why Costambarians are so ferociously proud of their "tropical paradise".

crossfire1

Feb 6, 2008
I was just there 2 weeks ago and I was surprised that the road was fixed. I could not believe it. I used to see the houses for sale in that community and think "Why would anyone think about buying here when the road into the community doesn't exist." No that the road is fixed I can understand why someone would want to live there. I might even make more visits to Babra Negra.

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
Yes, Costambar is getting better every day, security is working well, as said the entrance road is fixed, empty lots are being cleaned, and of course the beach, one of the prettiest on the north coast. Thanks for the info on the breakfast.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Wow fixed already. That has to be record time:laugh: and in a non election year. You guys must know someone...right????

In all seriousness. Congrats it was a long road (sorry for the pun ) and cannot do anything but help the area.

BObK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all we need now is to burn down to the ground all those nasty and dirty "cafes" on the beach and open some clean and good looking ones. and stop the music on the beach.
in two years i have lived here i went to the beach twice (both times with guests) to swim and tan. few more times in bad weather for a peaceful walk or to throw goggies in the ocean (they don't like it).

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Interesting ....

Personally I think those "nasty cafes" add real charm to the beach. Without them the beach would be dead most of the year round & it is cheaper to buy a coffee or soda & sit in the shade than it is to rent a sun lounger.

I also don't think promoting arson will encourage people to visit Costambar lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, nice cafes would be nice. you can have clean and pretty but cheap. just look at dv8 :)
and arson could be a part of new exciting excursion package: beach riot. even the name rolls well off the tongue :)

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
The beach bars/cafes ARE clean - I've not heard of any public health issues arising in almost 4 years here! In my opinion, & that of people I've been talking to about this in the past couple of days, they have a character that enhances the ambiance on the beach.

As regards loud music, that's only an issue on Sundays when the Dominicans have a day out at the seaside. Even that's getting better these days.

As I said in my initial post, Costambar is full of character(s). If you want a sterile experience I suggest you try Ocean Village or any number of newer tourist developments on the south & east coasts.

Costambar isn't for everyone, but then again neither is the DR. For many the island is too "raw". For many more, like most Costambarians, this rawness enhances our lives. :)

DR2001

Jan 2, 2011
Ffritz - we are coming to Costambar March 2012 (promised all the kids a trip to PC in November, big chunk of change) but I have been looking at Loase and Villas Felipe, any insight and are there others I should be checking out. Brief note, we are not newbies to the country, 10+ years...and want to check out Costambar for possible snow bird status in 4 years. Thanks...

web

Nov 5, 2005
Cosmopolitan? Millionaires Beach?

Really now, c'mon...I mean it's getting better but really dude

OK folks here's some news for you .........

The Costambar road is fixed!!!

I just thought I'd mention that because I've met at least 3 people in the last month who didn't want to come to Costambar because of "the terrible road".

Now you've got no excuses!

Why visit Costambar?

We have a delightful, cosmopolitan, safe village with a superb "millionaires beach", charming bars, restaurants & cafes. All very reasonably priced.

You can have breakfast over-looking the ocean or Pico Isabella.

Play a few holes of golf, some tennis or just chill on the beach without getting hassled.

Indulge in some people-watching with a coffee or cool drink.

Finish the day with dinner at a choice of bars & restaurants from rustic local, through to international.

We love living & working here. Why not stop by & find out why Costambarians are so ferociously proud of their "tropical paradise".

Mark Lloyd

Sep 3, 2010
I think by the term 'cosmopolitan' the poster is merely referring to the mix of cultures that inhabit Costambar, unusually for a 'gated' community there is a large mix of both international and national residents, Italian, German, Dutch, Belgian, British, Canadian, American etc and not forgetting the Dominicans. The net result of this is a very cosmopolitan feel along with the sense of being part of a mixed community, people do help each other and mix socially. There is a warm and friendly atmosphere where you definatley feel welcomed and not set apart. The children have access to a great, safe and generally clean ( not withstanding Monday mornings!) beach, and mix with local and international kids. For an expat and family looking to make their life in the DR it really is a great place to start.

Of Course people have their gripes, but it's the same all over the world, your either a cup half full or half empty person, I would love to see more emphasis placed on the the north coast and hopefully this will come, perhaps the promised port will come and this will have only a positive effect on the North Coast, especially Pop and Costambar. Anyhow for what it's worth I thought I would add my 10 penny's worth!

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Well now the debate has started!

Web - Mark Lloyd said all there is to say - very insightfull Mark & thanks :)

DR2001 - Come March you will pretty much have your pick of accommodation as the winter crowd will be winging their way home. The town caters for all budgets. Of the 2 properties you mentioned, Loase is secluded & very quiet. Villas Filipe is near the beach & hence in a more bustling part of town.

If you can let us know more precisely what you are seeking with a guide regarding your budget I'm sure you will find what you need. And if your initial choice isn't to your liking you can always move if you're planning a protracted stay.

DR2001

Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for the information as well as the PM. This March we will be coming down just for a week to 10 days of relaxation and to check the area out. We have a dual personality, sometimes we like to head down PC and act like the typical tourists in the AI's, but our most enjoyable trips are bumming around the north coast. With regard to budget, I prefer a nice clean & safe place with close proximity to the beach. No frills is fine with us, and of course when I say this...when in POP one year we stayed at Sam's (Joanne was a friend), so we are adaptable. If anyone would like to offer a few of their lodging suggestions, it would be appreciated as well. Thanks again and see you in March!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Thanks for the information as well as the PM. This March we will be coming down just for a week to 10 days of relaxation and to check the area out. We have a dual personality, sometimes we like to head down PC and act like the typical tourists in the AI's, but our most enjoyable trips are bumming around the north coast. With regard to budget, I prefer a nice clean & safe place with close proximity to the beach. No frills is fine with us, and of course when I say this...when in POP one year we stayed at Sam's (Joanne was a friend), so we are adaptable. If anyone would like to offer a few of their lodging suggestions, it would be appreciated as well. Thanks again and see you in March!

Not wanna hijack the thread but family with kids? Why not try out Xtreme Gym hotel in Cabarete one of the budget years, great stuff going on there for kids, very good family hotel, great atmosphere.

Mark Lloyd

Sep 3, 2010
Thanks ffritz, I just say it as I see it, Costambar is like a small village, with shops, restaurants bars etc, and has a very village atmosphere and that is why i like it. I can wander around at night, all be it with a torch! but do not feel anxious, my children have met dominican children and been invited around to their houses to play, they pick up a bit of english and my children pick up a bit of Spanish. I have been assisted by numerous people of differing nationalities and have not felt taken advantage of. You walk around and people recognise you and you recognise them even if it is with a quick not of the head, a smile or a brief Hola.

Nothing is perfect but there again where is, but its a pretty fine place all the same, as you mentioned the DR is not for everyone, if you want a sanitised Caribbean experience go to St Kitts or just stay in an AI hotel!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I can wander around at night, all be it with a torch

so true, since there is no electricity there. i have been there on occasion, and i fail to see how anyone could consider it as being cosmopolitian. at least, not in the dictionary definition sense of the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.