El-CATEY

lisaM1

Jun 27, 2008
Does anyone have any updated info about when el catey will be accepting flights from the us? Thanks

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Airlines are coming in from all over Europe and Canada on a frequent basis. The porters are lined up with open arms and hands. Samana will accept them. It is the Americans that do not want to come. Perhaps they are afraid of VFR.

matt77y

Jan 4, 2003
I know that 2 German airlines where catering El Catey (Condor and Airberlin), but both cancelled that this year.
I wonder how much traffic there is currently? Can this airport be run profitably with such low volume?

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Some airlines have backed off if they have to refuel at dominican prices of jet fuel and passenger disembarkation taxes. The majority of flights to Canada are totally full or at least the westjet flights are. Four hours to Toronto so they do not refuel and the frequency of flights is increasing and not as seasonal scheduling as in the past. I do not know about the other canadian airlines capacity. The airport would not be running at a profit at current volumes and is frequently quite empty. If they are able to keep it running, the slow pace is actually quite nice compared to other airports. You can almost relax while travelling. Great bathrooms at world class standards so thats a plus - no lineups either.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Correct Gordon, and the staff are very friendly.
There are no complaints such as those heard at POP.... very helpful..... typical Dominicanos, one would like to think.

Must be losing a fortune 'though... 1 or 2 flights a day.

The nice thing about WestJet , as opposed to Continental (as an example) is the Toronto flight leaves at 10am.
Continental fro Newark, leaves at 7 and 9am for POP and SDQ respectively.

The Canadian flights are mosre costly....

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
The problem at El Catey is actually the current radar system that they employ. Evidently is does not meet the requirements for the FAA in the US. I read about 6 months ago that the Dominican Gov. is going to upgrade the systems at a couple of airports, including Puerta Plata. The system they currently employ does meet FAA requirements and it is supposed to be brought to El Catey and used to replace the original one installed when the airport opened. Why they originally would put a system in that did not meet US requirements is baffling. Replacing the current radar at El Catey will open the door for flights from the US. To answer your original question, it will probably be at least 9 months to a year before this happens.

S

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
so the next question is, are the americans paranoid and demanding or are the european and canadian pilots too daring and crazy? I hope the pilots speak spanish. Does the entire world have to come to US regulations regardless of the rest of the thought process? Will they drag El Catey in all the super duper customs crap that filters so little at such great cost along with this radar? I must say if I can possibly avoid touching down in the US, I do. Heard they also now want to control passenger lists of those just going overhead and not even touching down. Might be afraid of parashootists.

justdoit

May 3, 2011
... Heard they also now want to control passenger lists of those just going overhead and not even touching down. Might be afraid of parashootists.

They already do... I guess their airspace, their right.. Initialy this measure was only for planes going to Cuba (when they started allowing flying over US en route to Cuba) but now it's for all planes... I don't know though if it's a "must" procedure (airlines have to provide the passenger as part of the flight plan) or only on a case by case basis, if requested by US officials...

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
cannot dispute "their airspace" part and they have every right. just seems silly and unfriendly to force passenger lists from 8 miles high for those that have no intention of getting closer. I would prefer to go around if it was up to me. also heard rumours they want to build the "great wall of canada". probably from those that have not walked the territory or met their neighbours. the world in general is getting soooooo touchy. at punta cana the dominican airport security even put my dog through an archaic baggage Xray machine. egads

lisaM1

Jun 27, 2008
Hi:
The problem at El Catey is actually the current radar system that they employ. Evidently is does not meet the requirements for the FAA in the US. I read about 6 months ago that the Dominican Gov. is going to upgrade the systems at a couple of airports, including Puerta Plata. The system they currently employ does meet FAA requirements and it is supposed to be brought to El Catey and used to replace the original one installed when the airport opened. Why they originally would put a system in that did not meet US requirements is baffling. Replacing the current radar at El Catey will open the door for flights from the US. To answer your original question, it will probably be at least 9 months to a year before this happens.

S

That is what i heard too, that they wre updating the radar and then us flights would be accepted. Seems like they would want to get this done quickly as it would be a boost for las terrenas.
Thanks for the info

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That is what i heard too, that they wre updating the radar and then us flights would be accepted. Seems like they would want to get this done quickly as it would be a boost for las terrenas.
Thanks for the info

In any normal situation, they would increase the air traffic to justify the new toll road to LT..... this may not be a normal situation.

New toll road may be ready in the fall........ anybody here confirm that?
No more going over the hill

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
In any normal situation, they would increase the air traffic to justify the new toll road to LT..... this may not be a normal situation.

New toll road may be ready in the fall........ anybody here confirm that?
No more going over the hill

William, I'd love to know more about the new road, if you hear any news please pass it on.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Its under construction now..... sort of an extension of the SDQ - Nagua toll road.
It follows the coastline from near the airport into LT..... saving a lot of time as opposed to going "up and over"
To say nothing about being easier to drive.

Rumor has it ready late this year...... but who knows??

I'm waiting for one of the LT experts to chime in w/ some more sound than rumors.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
A friend drove it (new road) the other day and it's apparently 80% asphalted, just missing the two extremities.
Was also told by someone in the know that there will be heavy fines due if it's not finished in July.
It's going to be a very nice drive, way up high with spectacular views, hanging above the coast and dropping into Coson.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
not 80% asphalted... there are several parts asphalted in the first layers. But it is going in the good direction. I took the road several times without any problems.

Should be ready in several month.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Could this new toll road maybe one of the reasons that JetAir is cancelling its flights from Brussels to POP and going to land in SDQ as per October of this year? The first part of not landing anymore in POP is a fact, the landing in SDQ is something I heard talking about.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
i miss the relation between the toll road and cancelling the flights?
This tollroad is a road with a toll from several kim, i think around 7 or 8 km, so i think something around 100 pesos or so.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
i miss the relation between the toll road and cancelling the flights?
This tollroad is a road with a toll from several kim, i think around 7 or 8 km, so i think something around 100 pesos or so.

I don't know either Tony, hence the question.
The fact is that JetAir is not landing anymore on POP as from October, the rumor is that they maybe are going to have a landing spot in SDQ.
The last is just something I heard and I am wondering, why SDQ then? Could it be that they reason, I am just guessing here, that landing in SDQ and going via the highway and now with the new toll road to LT, its just another good option for their customers?