357.9 million US dollars for a 2nd subway line in S.D. ?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Its a loan!!!! Isnt there some cheaper way to help the traffic congestion problems in the capital? Sad to see the DR have their priorities so backwards. Good to have less traffic but there are a myriad of other desperate needs. How about education and health care. Its a done deal so complaining does not help. Just sad.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Infrastructure if run properly can be a big boost to a country. This may help grow economic zones and create jobs and housing in the future.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
You know they could spend $30 Million and buy 2,000 used Ford Transits from Europe or Toyota Hi-Aces from Asia and use them to develop a rapid Mass Transit bus system in SD and Santiago. They could even build them here in conversion kits, installing seats and hand rails in what are essentially cargo vans. Much more effective than carro publicos.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Boon doggle

Infrastructure if run properly can be a big boost to a country. This may help grow economic zones and create jobs and housing in the future.

The metro is not meant to be a boost for the country.

It's the typical IMF - Word Bank type of white elephant project.

It's meant to take the country deep into debt thereby setting the stage for the need for "austerity".

The politicos and "Lie-onel" are bought off with the tremendous opportunities for corruption and graft.

The politicos can show the people that they built something, social elites can now brag that their 3rd world country has a metro and thus feel more comfortable mingling with 1st world elites.

Of course there are severe issues of health, education, environment, and economy that could be really addressed with that budget. But the point of it all is not to help anyone.

Go read "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" - John Perkins

Aug 19, 2004
You know they could spend $30 Million and buy 2,000 used Ford Transits from Europe or Toyota Hi-Aces from Asia and use them to develop a rapid Mass Transit bus system in SD and Santiago. They could even build them here in conversion kits, installing seats and hand rails in what are essentially cargo vans. Much more effective than carro publicos.

Agree

The metro will never solve the public transport issues of Santo Domingo - 6 lines isn't sufficient and not suiable for short trips - especially for a city with no defined business/service centre. What is needed is proper land use planning working along side a proper transport plan/strategy which would also deal with the final leg of the journey - walking/pedestrian access + physical accessibility - transport for the elderly etc..

The most cost effective solution is to re-organise the current chaos ("86% of units are conchos only capable of transporting five passengers") and follow a similar developemnt plan to that acheived by TransMilenio in Bogota. TRANSMILENIO S.A. - English Version. There are other examples from Brazil where there is growing interest in providing effective transport solutions and not white elephants such as the Metro.

Removing all those publicos etc would also reduce congestion significantly.

No doubt Piccardo will show us the error of our ways and explain why the Dominican Republic needs a bullet train network.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Jbars", Are You A "SOCKPUPPET" For Pichardo ????

You are joking,or have NO IDEA of the "More Pressing" problems in the DR!
Public Health,or better said,Lack of it!
Public Education,or,Lack of It!
Electricity,or Lack of It!
Water,or Lack of It!

"Racer",your idea is good,but not for the DR!
They government can't run a Public Transit system.
Several years ago,they bought about 400 buses from Brazil(Just to steal the money with "Sweet Heart" contract!)
Within a few years,the buses were "Junked"!
The "IMF/World Bank/foreign lenders", have the DR,and therefore "US" by our collective "BALLS"!
They loan the DR funds,supposedly for "Economic Development" that just goes to pay off old debt!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccc

Aug 19, 2004

So what is the solution - Metro is clearly too expensive and anyway I don't believe a city with the size and composition of Santo Domingo needs 6 underground lines.

Who could run an integrated bus network and metro (seeing that we have two lines) network?

May 5, 2007
Agree

The metro will never solve the public transport issues of Santo Domingo - 6 lines isn't sufficient and not suiable for short trips - especially for a city with no defined business/service centre. What is needed is proper land use planning working along side a proper transport plan/strategy which would also deal with the final leg of the journey - walking/pedestrian access + physical accessibility - transport for the elderly etc..

The most cost effective solution is to re-organise the current chaos ("86% of units are conchos only capable of transporting five passengers") and follow a similar developemnt plan to that acheived by TransMilenio in Bogota. TRANSMILENIO S.A. - English Version. There are other examples from Brazil where there is growing interest in providing effective transport solutions and not white elephants such as the Metro.

Removing all those publicos etc would also reduce congestion significantly.

No doubt Piccardo will show us the error of our ways and explain why the Dominican Republic needs a bullet train network.

I thought there was a plan for the DR to purchase a couple of retired Concorde's and run a supersonic shuttle between Santo Domingo and Punta Cana?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
So what is the solution - Metro is clearly too expensive and anyway I don't believe a city with the size and composition of Santo Domingo needs 6 underground lines.

Who could run an integrated bus network and metro (seeing that we have two lines) network?

This is what I want to know. There are many lettered lines for Rutas publica in Santiago. And it, to me, is more productive to have an intra-city bus service with fullsize vans running on propane or CNG/LPG or whatever. They can carry more people, professionalize the job also, and teach people the merits of being on time.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
You are joking,or have NO IDEA of the "More Pressing" problems in the DR!
Public Health,or better said,Lack of it!
Public Education,or,Lack of It!
Electricity,or Lack of It!
Water,or Lack of It!

"Racer",your idea is good,but not for the DR!
Several years ago,they bought about 400 buses from Brazil(Just to steal the money with "Sweet Heart" contract!)
Within a few years,the buses were "Junked"!
The "IMF/World Bank/foreign lenders", have the DR,and therefore "US" by our collective "BALLS"!
They loan the DR funds,supposedly for "Economic Development" that just goes to pay off old debt!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccc

I don't even know Pichardo. I was speaking generally of infrastructure projects in countries. I know there is corruption in the country. I was only highlight a possible outcome of a transit system. Thanks for the insult. JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
The Metro requires a cultural adaptation to Dominican commuting transportation- the Concho.
One can hardly expect a conversion to modernity in a country where 1980 "milagros" are the vehicles of choice.
Before traveling in modern, technologically advanced air conditioned transport built on engineering standards of the 21st Century the clients need toilets.

May 12, 2005
Easing the traffic in Santo Domingo can be done much cheaper and more effectively than building El Metro. For a fraction of the overall cost, many more over passes and under passes could have been built at the major intersections on Kennedy and some spots on Lincoln and other major arteries. This in conjunction with a complete overhaul and modernization of the OMSA system. And to ease the resistance of the publico drivers, they could be offered preference in hiring for OMSA. Much less grandiose and practical. Sometimes me thinks I should be El Presidente. Un Buen Futuro. Ven Conmigo.

Aug 19, 2004
And to ease the resistance of the publico drivers, they could be offered preference in hiring for OMSA.

Very similar to what they did in TransMilenio in Bogota. But hey it's easier to build something new and exciting and claim it is progress rather than deal with the real organisational problems.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was startled by a statement made by Juan Hubieres, the boss man of the Fenatrano transportation syndicate and a PRD deputy in Congress. Admittedly he is biased.

He said that "there are fewer than 25,000 riders a day on the Metro I....", which is 1/4 of the ridership Pichardo talks about.

I wonder who will challenge his numbers???

HB

bella0728

Jun 17, 2011
I really wish those U.S dollars would be used to renovate and add new MUCH NEEDED subway cars in N.Y. and perhaps get rid of some of those subway rats! Or perhaps fix and repair the walls that are oozing lead paint in which the children of the city breathe. Ha. Or at the LEAST to solve other issues in the D.R. because traffic will be an issue no matter how many subway lines are added....