Driving from SD to Santiago and Puerto Plata

Ms Tropicana

Jul 30, 2003
Hello!
My friend and I are arriving to SD in July on a 2 week vacation. We are taking the road up north to visit our families in different parts of the country, specifically Santiago and Mao Valverde...then to Puerto Plata for a bit of the touristsy feel and back down to Santo Domingo.
I realize there are many pueblos in between that are worthy of stops for food, drinks and possibly dancing :)

Any suggestions? Input is appreciated!

Damyan

Jun 19, 2011
Well, Ms. Tropicana, you do have a few choices once on the road: let me just be honest regarding the road between the capital and bonao -there's absoulutely NOTHING to be found therein. Once in Bonao, though, you could do yourself a favor and stop there and look for one of the best restaurants in the area (its right on the highway but I forgot the name of it) -everyone knows which one Im talking about -alot of famous people have gone there. There is also "piedras blancas" in Bonao -lots of rivers and whatnot. Between Bonao and Santiago you also have "La Casa del Chivo" which looks a bit rundown but the food is excellent. Its about 10 mins up the road once you pass the entrance to San Francisco. Other than that, you have Santiago -many places to go to there -thats where Im at. I could keep going, but I really dont know what you're looking for, if you'd like, PM me and we can chat!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Humm, un(a) santiaguer@ and a mae?@?? Que ama mucho a Mao???? Mmmmm...

Okay. Between The airport and Santiago there is not a whole lot. For "t?pico" there are two places in La Cumbre, on the left side as you go north. It is difficult to turn and cross the highway...one of the places is called Tavarez, I think..I forgot the name of the other place....good cheese and crackers and comida criolla. In Bonao, also on the left, there is a Restaurante Alemana,,,Never been there, and there are signs to the "Tipico Bonao" which is a good place for lunch or dinner.

From Santiago to Puerto Plata...okay...just go to Cabarete. it has everything for being touristy for a few days...

Have fun...drive carefully, "this is not Kansas, Toto..." people drive insanely here.

HB