Red Light District for SD

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
This story came out in Dominican Today: http://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...-Dominican-lawmakers-mull-red-light-districts

I feel like this is pretty advanced for a society that makes abortion ilegal under all circumstances. Prostitution will not go away in the Dominican Republic; much like drugs.

I agree with some recent discussions about legalizing drugs with government controls and taxation, although I never thought controlling prostitution would be make it to the senate.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The pol's are just looking for a way to get their cut.

"Red light districts" mean organization (pimps) and management (more pimps) and the issuance of "SW ID cards" and prosecution of those not in the program would create even more administrative overload where those monies could have been appropriated directly to education, infrastructure and the public good. Instead they want to take money away from these Women to place it into the pockets of pimps and their official cronies.

There's a new twist. Why should a pimp slap a ho around when he can get the government to do it for him?

Nothing good can come from this.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Progress is progress.

Here's hoping for the best.

This is not progress. It is big government intervention into people's personal lives.

Doesn't the legislature have anything better to do ???? cholera, dengue, illiteracy, envionmental degradation, tariffs, education, unsustainable debt levels ??????

Why the almost American (Puritan) obsession with who is doing what and with whom ??? This can only be something sponsored by some aging feminazi legislator.

She's subconsciously upset at her declining and/or reduced sexual market value and therefore want to control the sexual freedom of men.

Her mind refuses to accept that men want sex with hot young women and are willing to pay for it and that women are willing to sell it.

The only thing this increase in intervention and "regulation" will do is drive up the cost, increase opportunities for corruption, create opportunities for gangs-pimps-cartels and the attendant externalities - violence etc.

Stop trying to control everything and everyone !!!! No more big government .....using Dominican tax money and money borrowed from abroad nonetheless.

Petty tyrants the lot of them

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
This is not progress. It is big government intervention into people's personal lives.

Doesn't the legislature have anything better to do ???? cholera, dengue, illiteracy, envionmental degradation, tariffs, education, unsustainable debt levels ??????

Why the almost American (Puritan) obsession with who is doing what and with whom ??? This can only be something sponsored by some aging feminazi legislator.

She's subconsciously upset at her declining and/or reduced sexual market value and therefore want to control the sexual freedom of men.

Her mind refuses to accept that men want sex with hot young women and are willing to pay for it and that women are willing to sell it.
The only thing this increase in intervention and "regulation" will do is drive up the cost, increase opportunities for corruption, create opportunities for gangs-pimps-cartels and the attendant externalities - violence etc.

Stop trying to control everything and everyone !!!! No more big government .....using Dominican tax money and money borrowed from abroad nonetheless.

Petty tyrants the lot of them

I think the influence of the Church will make any such legislation DOA anyway.

This looks like a cheesy attempt to placate the US gov't. and get rid of the "sex trafficking" label that the State Dept. put on them so they can open Dominican Disney World to vacationing US families. Think Times square/ Giuliani/ 1990's.

The feminazi legislators you're referring to here want the same thing the sex tourists want so I wouldn't worry about them.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
OOOOOOOkay.

I didn't even have to read the article to know. The behavior is standard all over the world.

"The initiative by deputy (opposition PRD- San Jos? de Ocoa) Esther Minyetti stipulates controls in streets with a historical and cultural character, where women offer sexual services daily. "

I don't know this woman, but I guarantee -she's a middle aged or older woman - aging feminazi

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
I dont think anything will come of it. Red light district is only good for people to stop at. Most Dominicans ignore red lights so they will fly pass the district without stopping.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I think the influence of the Church will make any such legislation DOA anyway.

This looks like a cheesy attempt to placate the US gov't. and get rid of the "sex trafficking" label that the State Dept. put on them so they can open Dominican Disney World to vacationing US families. Think Times square/ Giuliani/ 1990's.

The feminazi legislators you're referring to here want the same thing the sex tourists want so I wouldn't worry about them.

I agree.

Not going to happen, the catholic church and the many puritans will see to the death of this legislation. I for one am glad that prostitution won't ever be legalized here.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I agree.

Not going to happen, the catholic church and the many puritans will see to the death of this legislation. I for one am glad that prostitution won't ever be legalized here.

Hate to tell you, prostitution IS legal. Pimping is not.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Hate to tell you, prostitution IS legal. Pimping is not.

No I hate to tell you, but prostitution is NOT legal, the laws prohibiting it are there. Just like many other laws in the books this one simply is not enforced.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
sasdasd

No I hate to tell you, but prostitution is NOT legal, the laws prohibiting it are there. Just like many other laws in the books this one simply is not enforced.

Concensus seems to have it that prostitution is legal but profiteering is not.
Please point out the apocryphal law on the books, Taino - I am curious to know if you are correct.

Last edited:

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
From Wikipedia

Prostitution in the Dominican Republic is legal, but a third party may not derive financial gain from prostitution (brothels or similar establishments are illegal).[1] However, the government usually does not enforce prostitution laws.[2]

The Dominican Republic has gained a reputation of being a major destination for international sex tourism. Sex tourism is common, especially in Las Terrenas, Cabarete, Sosua, and Boca Chica.[1] Child prostitution is a problem, particularly in major urban areas and popular tourist destinations, [3][4] but there has been a decrease in child prostitution since 2001, with the increase in policing and the decrease in corruption.[5][6]

Prostitution in the Dominican Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Prostitution is legal in the DR, we have covered this many times and even had our resident legal expert post about it in the legal forum. Making money as a third party is illegal, being a pimp.