Trick for cheap 3G Internet from Claro

Feb 7, 2007
Blackberry social (*111#) prepaid, per day RD$25

Open APN in BB (Options-Advanced-TCP/IP)
or Accesspoint in Nokia
with:

APN/accesspoint name: internet.ideasclaro.com.do
in BB::: Use APN Authentication (enabled); username; blank, password:blank
in Nokia::: Password prompt: No, authentication: normal, username: blank, password: blank

Now tether your smartphone with your laptop or desktop PC via USB cable for fastest connection (Blackberry desktop manager for BB; or Nokia OviSuite or PCSuite for Nokia). You can now use your smartphone/BB as modem and get 3G speeds for RD$25 per day, all taxes included.

You can also use this 3G internet within your smartphone (chat, email, browsing, even VOIP). With APN/Accesspoint enabled, you will be able to use all services and Internet apps on Nokia (and other smartphones), including OviMaps or Google Maps (with GPS), Gmail App, etc., and you will be able to use Facebook, Opera Mini, BB PIN and BB Mail on Blackberrys. You will NOT be able to use BB Maps or GoogleMaps on BB (require BIS Full) or Gmail App (BIS full required again). on BB you will NOT be able to use native BB Internet browser, but you can download Opera Mini and use it via APN enabled service. Btw I like Opera Mini much more for browsing on BB than BB native browser.

On Nokia and other smartphones (Iphone, Android) you can use ALL apps, because they go via open APN (internet access point). On BB, many apps go via BIS service (RIM) and work only with FULL BIS service (not BIS Social) and some apps can go via all of APN/BIS/WIFI (either access type will work). Rule of thumb for BB - if you can use your app with Wifi, you can use it with APN open on Claro BIS Social. If your BB app does not work on Wifi, you will not be able to use it with BIS Social with Open APN.

Enjoy 3G prepaid internet for just RD$25 per day!

(and for those whose spouses/friends/family work at Claro, PLEASE DO NOT tell them of this; just let the community enjoy this inexpensive 3G internet service)

My thanks to Esato Forums, Network operators : Caribbean, Latin and South America for bringing up this valuable information.

Wessx

Jun 20, 2011
Sorry for the double post, but I may have found a way to obtain FREE unlimited EDGE, if someone can please help me get the correct MMS settings for the iPhone, I might be on to something. If this works I'll be sure to post a tutorial.

Feb 7, 2007
Yes, it will work on Iphone, DROID system phones like Samsung or Motorola, etc. I wrote about Nokia because I know how to setup Nokia access points, but do not know much about other systems. But it will work even in a cheap Huawei phone if it has internet access capabilities.

It will also work with EDGE (2G) because EDGE has same access mode/form/type as 3G - packet data - it's only the carrier's back end that changes (transmission systems) rather than your front end (mobile phone). HOWEVER, 3G on Claro suck$ big. 3G on Claro is OK (though I have seen some speed issues since they started pushing a lot of prepaid, but it's still acceptable). Orange is very good on EDGE (best of all GSM carriers in the DR) and you can constantly achieve 200 kbps speeds ... also, their 3G network is good (but much smaller compared to Claro) but growing at a steady pace.

This trick will NOT work on Orange 100% because they do not have APN open on 3G on prepaid plans, they only open it up on post-paid plans and only after its SMS activation (but yes it can work on Orange on Postpaid, but than the beauty of cheap, prepaid, pay-by-day mobile Internet is gone).

And to conclude with GSM operators, it will NOT work on BlckBerry VIVA plan neither on prepaid or postpaid. It would require Viva mobile Internet plan, prepaid or postpaid, paid monthly at about 1100 pesos. Also, VIVA has EDGE only (no 3G and they are not yet even building 3G), and VIVA's EDGE is also slow and data platform over-saturated.

Mark Lloyd

Sep 3, 2010
iPhone

Hi,

Yes I can confirm that it works for the iPhone, I was surprised as I was told before arriving here that you could not get 3G without being on a contract. Both my wife and I have iPhones when we arrived here I put an orange pay as you go sim in my iPhone having accepted the fact that I would have no 3G, originally we had decided just to have one phone, but then my wife decided it would be a good idea for her to have one. As I happened to be in la Sirena at the time I thought I would give Claro a go, went to the store, they put a pay as you go sim in and what do you know 3G, working right of the bat! Did not need to mess around with settings as the iPhone set it self up, just don't leave it oh all the time as it eats the pesos! I can confirm it sends mms quite happily, surfs the net etc.

If this is for an iPhone 3GS just get them to put the sim in, if it is for an iPhone 4 then you will need to get a sim cutter (I brought one with me) as the concept of a micro sim does not seem to have reached the north coast! In the city it might be different.

Hope it helps!

Feb 7, 2007
@ Mark Lloyd - What you describe is using 3G Internet on Claro in a pay-as-you-go form, meaning without any active data plan on your phone. What I describe is activating a limited-version-Blackberry-data plan (Blackberry BIS Social) on Claro, so when you browse it will NOT deduct money from your balance on pay-as-you-go basis, but rtahe ron a flat daily/weekly/monthly fee. This Blackberry prepaid thingy on Claro is quite new (released around February or March), and BB Social prepaid is even newer (I think it was released in mid-May). I also recommend paying BB BIS Social daily (or on days when you need it) because daily it's RD$25 pesos with taxes, and monthly it's RD$750 pesos with taxes, so it's the same thing cost-wise, and paying daily you do not have to pay on days you won't be using any data. Just try it, and if it is working for you, activate it when you need to use data on your Iphone (e.g. when waiting in a looong bank queue).

You can try to activate BB social Internet and try it out.
1) Dial *111# SEND
2) Select option 2 BlackBerry Prepaid
3) Select option 1 to Buy package
4) Select option 2 for Blackberry Social
5) Select option 1 for 1 day prepaid
6) RD$ 25 is deducted from your balance for 1 day Internet
7) You SHOULD (sometimes not) receive a confirmation message on Display and SMS message.

Afterward, make sure your APN (accesspoint) settings on your Iphone are as described above (only then will it work). Again the settings are: Accesspoint name (APN, etc.): internet.ideasclaro.com.do --- Username: blank --- Password: blank.

Then, check your prepaid balance by dialing *122# SEND and write it down (you will need it later for comparison purposes. Alternatively, if your memory is very good, you can memorize it.)

It's also a good idea to restart your phone (I always do).

Then go back to check service status (after about 10 minutes, to give the Claro system some time to refresh and update)
1) Dial *111# SEND
2) Select Option 2 Blackberry prepaid
3) Select Option 2 Consult service
4) It should tell you "Actualmente tiene servicio Blackberry Social activo"

After that, open up your Iphone browser, navigate to Google and Yahoo, then let the phone sit for 10 minutes (enough time to update prepaid balance in case browsing is being deducted from there).

To check your balance dial again *122# SEND. You should still have the same balance as before. If so, happy unlimited 3G browsing for RD$25 per day.

Last edited:

wp3gi

Oct 30, 2010
The unlimited internet navigation is featured in the "BlackBerry Full" package that costs $50 a day.

The "BlackBerry Social" package is supposed to only include BlackBerry Messenger, Yahoo, Windows Live, Facebook, and MySpace for $25 a day but no browsing; however, you say that iPhone Safari browsing, Maps, etc. is not deducted from the customer's prepaid balance if this plan is active.

Maybe you would get the same benefit by paying for "BlackBerry Mail" which is $20 a day. Can someone verify this?

Also you did not say if the day plan is a 24-hour plan from the moment it is activated - or - if it is just for the calendar day, meaning that someone who buys this plan at 11:00 PM would get a 1-hour benefit only.

Please let me know and thanks for your post.

tjsadler

Jun 23, 2011
I tried this with my iPhone 4 but when I dial *111# and then reply with option 2 i get a message back that says "su suscripcion no es BlackBerry Prepago". Know how to get around this? When I bought the sim card I specifically asked for a sim for a blackberry.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Very interesting info... I have now a BB 9300 with Orange. I activated the BIS social (around 700rd$/month) coupled with my Plan Flex Ardilla (320rd$/month for 60mn)...
When I asked the *555 guys about the speed, if I was to activate BIS full and tether the BB on my PC, the guy told me it was 256Kb/s only... So I wouldn't get the good speed I have in my FlyBox...
That said, the BIS full costs about 1000rd$/month, so only about 300rd$ difference... And I would get the real BB mail, plus some more freedom... I am still hesitating...
For those readers who wonder why I always stick to Orange: No Claro signal where I live, plus my phone number is the key of my business...

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
By the way, for smartphone users, I am very happy with Google Sync... It syncs my contacts & calendar... See it here: m.google.com/sync

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
Hi!
I'm interested is this as i also have an unlocked iphone 4
And would appreciate if someone could explain what should i do once arrived in DR.
I just go in a store and ask for a blackberry sim
or there's a specific one that i need to activate the 3G service?
I must have a contract?
Also the sim is a regular one so i need to cut it for use it in the iphone 4, right?
Thanks in advance!

Nath514

Aug 28, 2008
Any one can tell me if they tried this option in Bavaro. How is Claro signal over there. I have an I phone 3G. I now use a Nokia phone in DR, it's small and I don't care about loosing it or breaking it. Thanks for the reply.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Any one can tell me if they tried this option in Bavaro. How is Claro signal over there. I have an I phone 3G. I now use a Nokia phone in DR, it's small and I don't care about loosing it or breaking it. Thanks for the reply.

Claro signal is good in Bavaro, I assume this would work over there.

tim514

Nov 12, 2011
su suscripcion no es BlackBerry Prepago

I tried this with my iPhone 4 but when I dial *111# and then reply with option 2 i get a message back that says "su suscripcion no es BlackBerry Prepago". Know how to get around this? When I bought the sim card I specifically asked for a sim for a blackberry.

I have the same problem with my iphone 4 when dialing *111# with option 2 Blackberry Prepago. It seemed to me that Claro has fixed this loophole to prevent iphone users to buy BB prepago package.

Any workaround on this? Thanks

tjsadler

Jun 23, 2011
Ok I got this to work on an android. I no longer have an iPhone but it should work fine there too. You need to go to Claro and get a sim card for a blackberry and buy some prepaid days or a week of BB Social in the store so you know they actually set it up to work for a BB. If you have an old BB or a friend with one take it in and then you can verify before you leave. I just went to several different shops until I found one that would do it for me without physically having a BB with me. The only caveat is that the data speed seems to be capped at .27Mbps. The first two days it was unlimited (3-5Mbps!) then it dropped and has remained throttled ever since. I'm still trying to find a way around that.

Feb 7, 2007
0.27 mbps seems like you are on EDGE not on 3G. verify your cell coverage, what it says on the display. Doe sit indicate 3G?

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
i also get low speeds, can't go more than 30kb/s, iphone 4 and 3G activated, maybe it's the signal that is 3 bars where i am.
Anyone uses bb full?

tim514

Nov 12, 2011
Be AWARE: Claro is charging every signle byte you download

Ok I got this to work on an android. I no longer have an iPhone but it should work fine there too. You need to go to Claro and get a sim card for a blackberry and buy some prepaid days or a week of BB Social in the store so you know they actually set it up to work for a BB. If you have an old BB or a friend with one take it in and then you can verify before you leave. I just went to several different shops until I found one that would do it for me without physically having a BB with me. The only caveat is that the data speed seems to be capped at .27Mbps. The first two days it was unlimited (3-5Mbps!) then it dropped and has remained throttled ever since. I'm still trying to find a way around that.

Claro is closing a lot of loopholes if you are using a smartphone. I have an iphone 4 with a sim for prepago. I charged my iphone with 800 pesos in order to get one month of BB social (750 pesos). I tried to buy BB social by dialing *111#. I got the message "su subscrpcion no es BB". However, after I set up the APN=internet.ideasclaro.com.do, I was able to access internet from my iphone 4 without a BB social, only with 800 pesos of prepago. Within a minute, my 800 pesos were gone because of data download.

So be AWARE: Claro is charging every single byte you download with prepago without BB social! 800 pesos for one minute of data usage.

If anybody has a better solution to get high speed internet without paying a fortune, let us know.