Police Action In Sosua, Cabarete, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua-News:

"Friday night from 2 AM until 6 AM a large force of military and tourist police (Politur) checked in all bars of Sos?a the women, sometimes in a heavy-handed manner, for a valid ID or residence permit.

"If the person didn't have a valid identity card (cedula), she was taken into custody. Reporters from the local TV station 'La Costa Norte Network TV' who wanted to capture these overly heavy-handed arrests on video, were threatened and prevented from working. There were even some bars closed. The coordinator of these raids Major General Pedro Antonio C?ceres Chestaro, said that also in surrounding municipalities including Cabarete they handle the same way."

papi201

Dec 2, 2010
Yes, now they are chasing all tourists away. I am coming in october for 3 weeks. This might be the last time.

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Sounds like they are just getting rid of the illegal Haitians. Why is there a big issue with that.

My sources on the ground inform me that 100's of Dominicanas were detained, and several expats and tourists were harrassed uneccessarily. I am sorry, I will not go to a POLICE state for vacation. Perhaps I'll come to Jarabacoa for some R&R. Nice work Ilana eliminating tourism!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My sources on the ground inform me that 100's of Dominicanas were detained, and several expats and tourists were harrassed uneccessarily. I am sorry, I will not go to a POLICE state for vacation. Perhaps I'll come to Jarabacoa for some R&R. Nice work Ilana eliminating tourism!

100's. I''ve been to Sosua and it's pretty small. Were all the bars raid or only certain ones? I'm sure that those that tried to intervene would have been treated badly by the police. Is that what happened? It was from 2 am until 6 am, not too many sober people still up at that time.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
A female department head asked me once why I went to the DR on vacation so much.

I told her "There are some wonderful churches and museums."

papi201

Dec 2, 2010
Let's face it, all single guys going there want to see and meet beautiful chicas. If i want to see nice palmtrees and playas, i go to Bavaro Punta Cana. I've been there for three weeks last month and the beach there is very nice. No, if Sosua wants to attract tourists, it must take care of the nightlife. But now they are really ruining it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
100's. I''ve been to Sosua and it's pretty small. Were all the bars raid or only certain ones? I'm sure that those that tried to intervene would have been treated badly by the police. Is that what happened? It was from 2 am until 6 am, not too many sober people still up at that time.

100s? Wow, they must be bringing them in by the bus load in the middle of the night if there were that many detained for lack of proper documents.

Why blame the Sosua mayor? Read the news item again. Town mayors don't order major generals to do document checks in their town, let alone Cabarete and other towns.

Sounds more like this was part of the ongoing effort to get undocumented Haitians out of the DR.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hotter Chicas

No, if Sosua wants to attract tourists, it must take care of the nightlife. But now they are really ruining it.
Nightlife is OK.
Cheapest putas, STDs, drugs and associated crime has brought Sos?a down and made it a (white) trash town.
Let those ISOC-guys go to hell.
The chicas are hotter there.

donP

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
So what if they are taking illegals off the streets? Heavy handed is the way of things here. That is the way it is sometimes.

So what if they want to control sex tourism. Maybe they want to encourage other forms of tourism? Maybe what sex tourists add to the economy and reputation of the north coast isn't of any real value? Maybe they are trying to move forward on a plan to clean up the image and encourage family tourism? Maybe the concept of a red light district is a really good one???

I don't know I am suggesting. For me - if it isn't to your liking don't visit. go to Bangkok or where ever it is.....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Checking for valid ID or residence permit implies they were looking for underage girls as well as illegal immigrants.

Pelo

Jun 20, 2011
I was there Friday night for the raid. Coming out they had folks video taping. Of course i hid my face as i left with my puta. The following night Clasico was closed. The town was DEAD. So long Sosua :-/

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Nightlife is OK.
Cheapest putas, STDs, drugs and associated crime has brought Sos?a down and made it a (white) trash town.
Let those ISOC-guys go to hell.
The chicas are hotter there.

donP

With all due respect donP, the majority of the ISOC guys are regular working class dudes who want to enjoy their vacation with pretty girls. For the most part they didn't ruin anything that wasn't bad already before they got to Sosua.

If people are really concerned about the quality of the tourists and expats who gravitate to the North Coast, maybe it's time the Dominican government address the number of international criminals who have been gravitating there for years.

It's all the cats on those Interpol Most Wanted listings and the slimeballs THEY attract that have made Sosua what it is, not some poor schlub who works in the post office looking to have a little fun for the first time in his life.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
So, who did the Police shut down?

They closed down Classicos. The police found two 17 year old chicas in the bar, so they closed the bar just like the law states. Classicos should reopen this week and things will be back to normal hopefully soon.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It's all the cats on those Interpol Most Wanted listings and the slimeballs THEY attract that have made Sosua what it is, not some poor schlub who works in the post office looking to have a little fun for the first time in his life.

I don't agree. During the past year or so there have been several arrests of people on the Interpol list, plus some publicity not too long ago quoting commendations from Interpol for the cooperation it receives from the Dominican police.

I don't think anybody is attempting to keep out "poor schlubs who work in the post office", just reverse the deterioration of Sosua as a tourist destination that has occurred over the past 6 or 8 years.

It is possible to have a town where you can have fun, unless you are looking for drugs, little boys or young girls, and where the prostitutes aren't the problem they'd become with their brazen behavior on the streets during the day.

I just hope that the government hasn't waited too long to get Sosua back to being a destination for all tourists, not just those looking for sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.