Travel with expired residence?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My provisional residence is going to expire 2nd of July. I am going on a trip some days later. Will I be able to enter DR again as a resident, I suppose I won't have time to get my permanent residence, while that includes a new medical exam, and I remember for last year it takes a while to get the results.

Will it give a problem to get the permanent residence after the provisional residence has expired (even though it will only be 1 month or so?

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I believe if your provisional residency is expired that you will have to enter the country on a tourist card, unless you have proof that you have started the process of getting your permanent residency. Exiting the country you may have to pay the fee for overstay, but if it's only been 1 month that your residency expired, that fee is only 800 pesos I believe. But, perhaps you'll get lucky and the immigration officer won't pay too much attention to the recent expiry date...?

I know of a couple right now whose provisional residency has been expired for over 2 years and they are now going through the motions of getting their permanent residency. As far as I know they're not experiencing any problems. Their cedulas had also expired so they had to pay the new increased fee to renew those, but other than that, I think it's pretty standard.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just show it to Customs, worst case they make you get a tourist card. I am laying 10-1 they won't even know it expired. I know someone with a temporary residence card that expired 7 years ago and got in without a word from Customs.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Don't present an expired residency card at immigration, they will take it away from you, sometimes you pay a fine. Just leave and enter the country as a tourist.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Go to Migracion and file for an extension of your Temp. Card or initiate your permanent process. The people at Migracion as you come back in will take your card...

Or come back in as a tourist...

HB

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I have similar problem. I had applied for the Permanent Residency. I want to go out and come back on a short trip. But I cannot enter with Tourist card. Also I cannot get visa to re enter other than in my country of origin. Is there any other way?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Last year I came back 2 days before it was time to renew residency. The inspector from Migracion looked at the card, looked at the calendar, and said I just made it in time.

They are checking more closely now than a few years ago.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I have similar problem. I had applied for the Permanent Residency. I want to go out and come back on a short trip. But I cannot enter with Tourist card. Also I cannot get visa to re enter other than in my country of origin. Is there any other way?

Alright, I had contacted the Embassy in India and they told me that I had to get the Re- Entry Permit from DR Ministry. Does anyone have experience with this? How and where should I get this? I am really unhappy with the office of Guzman with this issue? They were not able to provide me with details even though I am their client.

Mocha2021

Jan 13, 2009
I traveled out of the country with an expired cedula in mid July - in Miami I was asked for proof of residensy and I showed them my expired cedula and told them that its in the process of being renewed. They called DR and asked if I could travel on my expired id and DR said NO ! so I had to purchase a ticket out of DR in Miami.

I have flown in and out of DR without a problem before but this was the 1st time that I had to have a ticket out of DR. They are being more careful, I suppose.