Caribbean's Highest Photos

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Visiting Pico Duarte is a must do. If you have the stamina, you can reach Pico Duarte in hikes that last from 2-7 days. You'll have no idea you're in the Caribbean with vast pine forests and freezing temperatures.

Also, make a day or two stop in the Tetero Valley - a fertile valley with a clear, cold water river, Taino drawings and jaw-dropping scenery.

pico-duarte-route.jpg

Eying the route to Pico Duarte
pico-duarte-advice.jpg

Some advice from the Park Ranger
duarte-river.jpg

duarte-bud.jpg

duarte-sign.jpg

Sister peaks and the highest in the Caribbean
duarte-view.jpg

view-from-duarte.jpg

Pico Duarte
jb-duarte.jpg

duarte-flag.jpg

duarte-trail.jpg

coffee.jpg

The best cup of coffee after 8 hours hiking in the cold rain.
la-ballena.jpg

La Ballena, Valle del Tetero
la-ballena-2.jpg

Valle del Tetero
taino-drawing.jpg

Taino Drawings, Valle del Tetero
valle-tetero.jpg

Hike back, Valle del Tetero

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Ha! Looks like a fiddlehead in the DR in one of the pictures. Who knew?
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Yes, he was the head park ranger. That day I tried to hike Pico Duarte and back in 14 hours (basically non-stop). Incredibly difficult when any level-headed person would do it in 48-72 hours.

You can see the concern on my face as he basically told me: "Look, I think you're crazy and it's gonna hurt, but you're not gonna die."

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Visiting Pico Duarte is a must do. If you have the stamina, you can reach Pico Duarte in hikes that last from 2-7 days. You'll have no idea you're in the Caribbean with vast pine forests and freezing temperatures.

Also, make a day or two stop in the Tetero Valley - a fertile valley with a clear, cold water river, Taino drawings and jaw-dropping scenery.

pico-duarte-route.jpg

Eying the route to Pico Duarte
pico-duarte-advice.jpg

Some advice from the Park Ranger
duarte-river.jpg

duarte-bud.jpg

duarte-sign.jpg

Sister peaks and the highest in the Caribbean
duarte-view.jpg

view-from-duarte.jpg

Pico Duarte
jb-duarte.jpg

duarte-flag.jpg

duarte-trail.jpg

coffee.jpg

The best cup of coffee after 8 hours hiking in the cold rain.
la-ballena.jpg

La Ballena, Valle del Tetero
la-ballena-2.jpg

Valle del Tetero
taino-drawing.jpg

Taino Drawings, Valle del Tetero
valle-tetero.jpg

Hike back, Valle del Tetero

Nice pics but I didn't see any forests. It looks more like Haitians had attacked it to make carbon

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Wow, you reposted all the photos!

I can assure you that these forests are not being affected by Haitians looking to make carbon. These are very remote areas in the protected Parque Nacional Armando Bermudez.

Some photos might give you this image because there was a terrible forest fire about 5 years ago; you can see a lot of that damage in some parts of the hike.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
sweet

Why do my Dominican friends insist that January is the only time I should hike up there?:confused:

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Well, I recently posted pics of frost in Valle Nuevo. Frost is very common in the Cordillera Central Mountain Range. The owner of Villa Pajon Lodge in Valle Nuevo says he gets over 30 frosts a year; these are during the Winter months.

As far as I know, it has never snowed; although I would not be surprised if someone corrected me.