Demonstrations In Gaspar Hernandez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The American Embassy sent out a message this afternoon warning of demonstrations in Gaspar Hernandez that may prevent travel through the community:

"The Embassy has received reports of violent demonstrations by truck drivers protesting on the streets of Gaspar Hernandez on the Puerto Plata-Saman? highway in the province of Espaillat. Gaspar Hernandez is approximately 35 miles east of Puerto Plata. There is no further information on whether or not this protest will be ongoing.
The Embassy?s Security Office has warned Embassy personnel to avoid the main road between Puerto Plata and Samana, and to avoid non-essential travel to the Puerto Plata region in the north of the island until further notice.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks Ken. This is curious. What for? High fuel costs? The rumored shut down of Cabarete for two months mentioned in another thread?

One does not think of Gaspar Hernandez as a place for protests, or at least those that would be very meaningful. Be interested in hearing the reason why.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
protesting not being able to haul gravel out of the river anymore, and sand from la cana.....they are meeting with Hyme David in the capital to try reverse his decision.....good luck with that...there are still trucks parked on the side of the street making thru traffic a little difficult.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
protesting not being able to haul gravel out of the river anymore, and sand from la cana.....they are meeting with Hyme David in the capital to try reverse his decision.....good luck with that...there are still trucks parked on the side of the street making thru traffic a little difficult.....

Thank you. That explains it well. It also explains why I have seen so many trucks parked on the highway in Gaspar Hernandez from time to time. The only time I visited the beach front area in question there were trucks stealing sand from the beach. It is a profitable business selling something you stole and I can see banning that would annoy them. I personally know someone that was arrested doing that some time ago. Those that get sold sand from the beach will have inferior concrete because of the salt content. I hope this gets resolved quickly, but I know better. It will continue to be a cat and mouse game between the truckers and the government.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Wait a minute..... Gaspar Hernandez....
isn't that where the mayor prostrated himself on the roadway to halt the stealing of the sand from the beaches?

It was news a while back and ensured his re-election .....

If so, they have a history of demonstrations

donP

Dec 14, 2008
More Toll Stations

We shall see more "huelgas" on the road to Saman? in the near future.
They are building a toll station on that road just west of the El Catey airport.
So anyone wanting to enter or leave Saman? province will have to pay.
Not popular that.
My crystal ball tells me that there will be heavy protest... :rambo:

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Are you sure that toll booth isn't the entry to the new El Catey - Las Terranas highway which is currently under construction ??

donP

Dec 14, 2008

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I've been through one of these protests where they were cutting off tree limbs and putting them into the road, just east of Gaspar Hernandez. We were stuck for about 2hours, not moving.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Those that get sold sand from the beach will have inferior concrete because of the salt content.

When I lived in Samana, most of the homes there had trouble with peeling paint on the walls and ceiling. The problem was that the blocks used in the construction were made using beach sand.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If so, they have a history of demonstrations

I don't know about the mayor, but Gaspar Hernandez has a history of strikes. This was a problem for Samana hotels before the airport because there were times the buses couldn't get through GH in order to take departing guests to the POP airport.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Does anyone have an idea as how you get around GH ? A detour sort of route ???

Or is that the idea of the road blockages..... there is no alternate routing?

The hills are very close to the shoreline there..... maybe a goat path to circumvent ??

AHHA!!!..... where is that paragliding post .......??

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011

The hills are very close to the shoreline there..... maybe a goat path to circumvent ??

William, I don't think there is even a goat path, lol but no there isn't an easy way around GH.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Scanning that area on Google Earth, there does not appear to be anything that goes around Gaspar Hernandez. If there is a goat path, it might be from the Jamao del Norte area.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Therein lies lies the Dominican genius...........
they know exactly where to block traffic in the most effective manner.

It's like everything else... from reasonable repairs to complicated conundrums....

They stare at it for a while and then come up with a simple solution..... infallible !!:rambo:

The Gaspar Hernandez roadblock is no fluke..... it's a well placed tourniquet designed to strangle traffic flow for the whole North Shore.

And the main street is so narrow that one car or truck will do the job !!:mad:

Genius... pure genius..... with very little effort.

Pass the cerveza , por favor . While I sit here and admire my work....:sleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.