The cost of living in Jarabacoa

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Rather than posting this question on the living forum, I thought it may be advantagious to use the central forum in the hopes I'd get some objective feed back.

My question is this ......Is it possable to live in the Jarabacoa area on $1,500 USD /month ? assuming a moderate lifestyle .

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
cobraboy , since you seem to be the only one with any interest in my moving to the DR , perhaps you can answer another brief question ? Are small motorcycles ( used ) readily available and if so what is the normal price range if I may ask ?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
cobraboy , since you seem to be the only one with any interest in my moving to the DR , perhaps you can answer another brief question ? Are small motorcycles ( used ) readily available and if so what is the normal price range if I may ask ?
There are several dealers in town. The price ranges from RD$24,000 to RD$150,000+ new. There are some used, yes, but harder to come by and sometimes poorly maintained.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Thank you again, I am an avid biker and pondering shipping my bike to the DR might be worth while.

Jan 17, 2009
Small motorcycles are available everywhere, new and old. We recently purchased a small new one for RD$22,000 (less than $600).

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Thank you again, I am an avid biker and pondering shipping my bike to the DR might be worth while.
Forget that one. The cost and hassle is massive. Buy one here and thank me later.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
lol ! it's a no win situation anyway I look at it. I will buy u a drink when I arrive. Hopefully in mid July.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Expat, thanks for the input, I'd even go $1,000 USD for a decent bike, what cc bike did u purchase

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Cobraboy, I've been riding for several years and the only time I've dumped has been in a parking lot . lol I ride a modified vulcan 900 and a CF moto 250. I have not gone to Sturgis but do Myrtle Beach Bike Week every year and try to make Daytona when I can. I ride the North Carolina mountains and have done the Dragon's Tail. I've never been into dirt bikes or racing though. How bout u ? do u ride ?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cobraboy, I've been riding for several years and the only time I've dumped has been in a parking lot . lol I ride a modified vulcan 900 and a CF moto 250. I have not gone to Sturgis but do Myrtle Beach Bike Week every year and try to make Daytona when I can. I ride the North Carolina mountains and have done the Dragon's Tail. I've never been into dirt bikes or racing though. How bout u ? do u ride ?
You might say that: www.MotoCaribe.com

I've never not had a motersickel since I was 16. That 43 years. I lost count at the bikes I've owned at around 25 or so, everything from a '62 Triumph Tiger Cub to a '46 Villiers ML to a '67 Yamaha YDS3 to a Kawasaki Mach III (and lived:cheeky:) to all manner of 500-750cc Triumps, Nortons, BSA and Royal Enfields to Honda VTX1800Cs to CB350s & 450s to V-Strom DL650s. It's genetic.

I've lived in Jarabacoa well over 3 years now.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
small world, the triumph Tiger 110 was my first bike at 16 also, I was so poor I had to buy it with a friend. lol I yield to the number of bikes you've owned, u beat me hands down. lol I wil check out the web site . I am having some customizing done on my vulcan now and will send u some pict's when I get it back. Jarabacoa sounds like the perfect trade off as far as a place to live in the DR. I've made plans to meet a friend ( Canadian type woman) lol in Cabarete and we'll stay there for a short time and then head inland.
Where r u from oriinally cobra ?

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
both r good places to b FROM ! lol I'm in South Carolina now and have lived here for several years, sailed and lived on my boat for several years but age caught up with me before the sharks did. I just sold the boat and have come to realize the USA has gone to seed while I was asleep I guess.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm not yet living in Jarabacoa but I've been going there every year for the past 13, and am currently having a house built/renovated. We will be moving there next year from Belleville, Ontario. Based on my visits and my wife's experience in growing up there and having a business there CB's confirmation of a modest but comfortable lifestyle on $1500 per month is accurate. My wife doesn't want me to get a motorcycle as she thinks the locals are out of control on the roads but I plan on getting a small Honda or Yamaha. I've ridden motocross as a teenager (Kawasaki's) and numerous street bikes throughout the years.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
My wife doesn't want me to get a motorcycle as she thinks the locals are out of control on the roads but I plan on getting a small Honda or Yamaha. I've ridden motocross as a teenager (Kawasaki's) and numerous street bikes throughout the years.
I saw you drooling over the V-Stroms, bob. :cheeky:

That, or the wings...

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I'm not yet living in Jarabacoa but I've been going there every year for the past 13, and am currently having a house built/renovated. We will be moving there next year from Belleville, Ontario. Based on my visits and my wife's experience in growing up there and having a business there CB's confirmation of a modest but comfortable lifestyle on $1500 per month is accurate. My wife doesn't want me to get a motorcycle as she thinks the locals are out of control on the roads but I plan on getting a small Honda or Yamaha. I've ridden motocross as a teenager (Kawasaki's) and numerous street bikes throughout the years.

maybe we should all get together in the near future and discuss this over some cold Carona's ? lol

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
There is a lot of money in Jarabacoa, but people seem to live within the community mixed, without the class divide you might see elsewhere. Every home has a couple of motorbikes and those that work (and most do in some form or another) might have a pickup also.
Everyone is vehicle minded in Jarabacoa, a place where you can walk most places it seems wierd even the poorest would buy a motobike before things for the home. Kids don't buy alcohol or drugs they buy a new exhaust for a moped/scooter or new shockers in a funky pink or blue anodized touch.
For me it represents the typical proud respectful and respected working mans kind of town, with some extra rich part timers thrown in.
Nice if you are normal, I don't think crazy people would last long!